thebigabd

Reaction score
The 2003-2004 team went 20-11 with,

PG: Drew Lavender (true freshman)
SG: DeAngelo Alexander (soph)
SF: Jason Detrick (senior)
PF: Kevin Bookout (soph)
C: Jabahri Brown (junior)

That team brought Larry Turner, Brandon Foust (true frosh), Johnny Gilbert, and Jaison Williams off the bench. Now, that team had 1 Mcdonalds All-American but it was a sub-par season and relied on lots of underclassmen. That team went 12-3 in the non-conference, and 8-8 in the Big 12. They went 5-3 at home and 3-5 away from home.

Its not a perfect comparison obviously, because that team had 1 Mcdonalds All-American, no NBA players, etc.. But that team had a true freshman point guard (Lavender), a young would-be star (Alexander), a veteran senior (Detrick), and some nice players up front (Bookout and Brown)...

It also had almost nothing off the bench, expect more youth and average players.

It will be interesting to see if this season turns out better, worse, or about even to the 2003-2004 team that was in a similar situation.

Also, how would you compare the talent situation in 2003-2004 to now?

I think that team was about a polar opposite of this years team. I remember that team could really play defense but has just an awful time scoring. A lot of news stories about DeAngelo Alexander having trouble scoring the ball.

While this years team is a pretty darn good offensive team and is having trouble stopping anyone.

Seems like the chances of defense improving is much greater than offense.

Edit- I guess you were asking about comparable talent. Which makes my point pretty invalid.

Last edited:
Edit- I guess you were asking about comparable talent. Which makes my point pretty invalid.

Im talking about roster situations, youth, adversity, etc. Not what that team did good and this team does poorly, etc.

Last edited:
The 03-04 team went 10-1 in the preseason non con. Victories over Purdue and @ Michigan St. The only loss was to Uconn who won it all.

I think only one 8-8 Big12 team ever got an invite. It would be a good match up between the 2 squads.

Too bad this team doesn't play D like that team.

That team started out good with good wins. And then injuries just derailed that team that year. We had like 7 total guys practicing. We had to use coaches and ex players to practice for games. That team was flat out amazing for what they had to deal with.

Bookout didn't even play half that year. Wasn't Alexender hurt as well, at least an ankle that was bothering him that year?

I remember that team nearly running out of eligible players to put on the floor late in our game against Texas in the big 12 tourney. I think this years team has more talent overall, but nowhere near as much heart.

Bookout didn't even play half that year. Wasn't Alexender hurt as well, at least an ankle that was bothering him that year?

Yeah I don't even know if he was practicing then he got hurt in the NIT against LSU.

Here's the list of injuries I can remember

Bookout, Foust, Detrick, and McKenzie were hurt and missing games all at the same time and Brown basically got kicked off the team for smoking weed. I think Tobias had quit by that time so that's 6 of the 12 on the roster that were out.

I think Turner also got hurt which was why Alexander played the 4. But I'm not 100% sure.

I remember Foust playing the 4 the last part of the year.

I remember Foust playing the 4 the last part of the year.

I think he got hurt at one point last couple of games then came back. Can't remember which game. But that was just a freaky year for injuries sorta like the OU football team this year.

I was a manager for that team and it was a frustrating year, but man I can't even imagine being around for what's going on with this team so far. At least the 03-04 team had some excuses for their struggles. That team was like 11-0 and ranked in the top 5 heading into that UCONN game, we got smashed and it was all down hill from there.

Bookout got hurt, Jabahri eventually got booted along with Matt Gibson. Drew was a constant challenge for Coach Sampson to handle. That team still kept after it and Coach Sampson really did a good job getting that team on the bubble all things considered. We lost 2 very very close games to Texas, one in Norman and one in the Big 12 that we absolutely blew. We lost the OT game in Colorado where Jason Detrick had a huge game and there was a BS blocking call on Jaison Williams that cost us.

But man I am scared to see what is going to happen the rest of this season if they don't figure it out quick. They just don't look like a team on the same page. Willie's big off season talk about all he learned from Blake last year sure was just a lot of talk, and our lack of any quality post depth kills us. I also don't understand why Pledger and Fitz's PT has gone down as the season has gone on.

I think this team is going to have to go 10-6 in the Big 12 to get in since we are likely going to have 5 non conference losses after we goto Gonzaga.

Back