2023-2024 Conf Schedule Format

WichitaSooner

Reaction score
https://big12sports.com/news/2023/7/...opponents.aspx

Oklahoma
Home-and-away: Cincinnati, Iowa State, Kansas, Oklahoma State, Texas
Home-only: BYU, Houston, Texas Tech, West Virginia
Away-only: Baylor, UCF, K-State, TCU

The conference just released the home and away opponents in women's basketball. Here is how it looks for OU:

Home and away:
Texas
OSU
KU
KSU
Cincy

Home only:
Baylor
TCU
Texas Tech
UCF

Away only:
West Virginia
BYU
Iowa State
Houston

Not sure if the breakdown will be the same for the men, but would make sense. I will be bummed if we don't get to play one more time in the Phog, so I hope KU is a home and away series.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Possible schedule format

The conference just released the home and away opponents in women's basketball. Here is how it looks for OU:

Home and away:
Texas
OSU
KU
KSU
Cincy

Home only:
Baylor
TCU
Texas Tech
UCF

Away only:
West Virginia
BYU
Iowa State
Houston

Not sure if the breakdown will be the same for the men, but would make sense. I will be bummed if we don't get to play one more time in the Phog, so I hope KU is a home and away series.

Although the experience/history in the Phog is great, I won't miss it if OU never plays in it again. May be the worst home cooking in all of college hoops there over the years...not just vs OU but vs EVERYONE who goes there.

Although the experience/history in the Phog is great, I won't miss it if OU never plays in it again. May be the worst home cooking in all of college hoops there over the years...not just vs OU but vs EVERYONE who goes there.

This. I never attended a game there, but as a TV viewer, I've more than had my fill of that place. It's undeniable and indefensible how often the officials bail the home team out there.

A trip to the Phog is worth looking at the memorabilia on display.
In high school in KC went to Lawrence in 1st of the Phog and saw Wilt Chamberlain play as a soph against Colorado.
KU made Phog retire because of age just after he recruited Wilt. Would never happen in this day and age.

https://big12sports.com/news/2023/7...024-mens-basketball-conference-opponents.aspx

Oklahoma
Home-and-away: Cincinnati, Iowa State, Kansas, Oklahoma State, Texas
Home-only: BYU, Houston, Texas Tech, West Virginia
Away-only: Baylor, UCF, K-State, TCU

No complaints with this slate. From what I've seen with a couple other teams, it looks like the league has done a good job balancing things.

We also got as soft a schedule as possible on the football side of things. If the conference actually was "out to get us," they sure didn't act like it when it comes to scheduling.

This is the women’s schedule, correct? Will the men’s schedule be the same as far as the pairings?

In high school in KC went to Lawrence in 1st of the Phog and saw Wilt Chamberlain play as a soph against Colorado.
KU made Phog retire because of age just after he recruited Wilt. Would never happen in this day and age.

My plan is to go!

May be the last time for a really long time.

No complaints with this slate. From what I've seen with a couple other teams, it looks like the league has done a good job balancing things.

We also got as soft a schedule as possible on the football side of things. If the conference actually was "out to get us," they sure didn't act like it when it comes to scheduling.

Agreed. Can't be too upset over the football or basketball schedules this year. Both seem pretty fair/balanced. Football I'd argue we got a gift (no KSU, TT, or Baylor).

If the conference actually was "out to get us," they sure didn't act like it when it comes to scheduling.

I'm fine with the schedule, but don't see how they did us favors. If you divide it up by teams we play twice, home-only, and away-only, the teams we play twice wins by a landslide. It's beyond delusional to pretend the conference is cool with us, and it's understandable why.

I posted this on the other site, but here are my thoughts (trying to be reasonable):

Home/Away
Cincy - W/L
Iowa St - W/L
Texas - L/L
OSU - W/L
Kansas - L/L

Home
Houston L
BYU W
Texas Tech W
WVU W

Away
Baylor L
KSU L
UCF W
TCU W

KP rankings for the newbs: BYU 77, UCF 56, Cincy 50, Houston 2

8- 10, is possible in conference with a slightly lower SOS, maybe 8th or 10th? Let's say we go 9-3 OOC. Go 1-1 in the Big12 tourney.

18-14.

Does that disappoint? ISU was a 6 seed at 19-14 last year. OSU was 20-16 and missed out. Last year OU was 15-17 (5-13) in conference. I am not saying this is how well we may do, just some thoughts on winnable games.

I posted this on the other site, but here are my thoughts (trying to be reasonable):

Home/Away
Cincy - W/L
Iowa St - W/L
Texas - L/L
OSU - W/L
Kansas - L/L

Home
Houston L
BYU W
Texas Tech W
WVU W

Away
Baylor L
KSU L
UCF W
TCU W

8- 10, is possible in conference with a slightly lower SOS, maybe 8th or 10th? Let's say we go 9-3 OOC. Go 1-1 in the Big12 tourney.

18-14.

Does that disappoint? ISU was a 6 seed at 19-14 last year. OSU was 20-16 and missed out. Last year OU was 15-17 (5-13) in conference. I am not saying this is how well we may do, just some thoughts on winnable games.

That seems about right. If Hugley is legit, I think we could snag an additional couple games, such as one or two of the away games against the teams we play twice.

Home/Away
Cincy - W/L
Iowa St - W/L
Texas - L/L
OSU - W/L
Kansas - L/L

Home
Houston L
BYU W
Texas Tech W
WVU W

Away
Baylor L
KSU L
UCF W
TCU W

18-14.

We'll definitely need to play much better at the LNC than last year to have a shot at 6-3 at home. I think 2 road wins is probably realistic. It's harder to predict this season because of the unknowns regarding the newcomers (except Houston, we know how good they are). If someone forced me to guess right now, I would probably predict 7-11, with 6-12 slightly more likely than 8-10, but nothing in that range would surprise me.

I grew up in Wichita… my “hate” for ku is prob as much or more than some of you guys with the horns…

With that said… I went when we had Bookout, Tag… had the lead at half… but what an incredible atmosphere.

Just amazing… I dare say better than OU football. Course when ya win 90% of your games it’s easy to love.

Yes… glad to done there.

Home/Away
Cincy - W/L
Iowa St - W/L
Texas - L/L
OSU - W/L
Kansas - L/L

Home
Houston L
BYU W
Texas Tech W
WVU W

Away
Baylor L
KSU L
UCF W
TCU W

18-14.

18-14 is a huge improvement, and would be a little disappointing to me.

Back