96-team NCAA March Madness is "Done Deal"

This is stupid....the wussification of America continues.

This is absolutely stupid.. I'll never watch march madness again if they do this

I think this might be equal to or worse than all the extra college bowl games.

The big difference is that the NCAA controls most of the money for televising of the NCAA basketball tournament. Football revenue is controlled by the conferences and schools. That is my understanding.

its okay to extend the basketball tournament and miss more school while a playoff in Football is a no no cause they can't miss more school!

To me, they are just combining the NIT, and those teams should be in anyways.

More good teams = better tournament. Seems pretty simple to me.

"good teams" is in the eye of the beholder. To me you aren't very "good" if you're going 7-9 in the conference, and those are the types of teams that are going to get into the tournament if they add 32 teams. Even if you are rather generous and say that the top 5 seeds in each bracket have an actual chance of winning the entire thing, that is only 20 teams. So you currently have 42 teams with little to no chance of winning. Do we really need to add 32 more? Do we need 74 teams in the tournament that have zero chance of winning? (and yes, I realize the tournament is about more than winning the national title)

Really bad news. The tournament has fallen off in national interest anyway; this is a way to completely write off the casual fans who juice the TV ratings. As another article said, is Shirley from accounting going to fill out a 96-team bracket?

When will the first round be? Will this add a whole another week to the tournament? Might as well let 256 teams in; that would only add another week to the tourney.

Conference tourneys are meaningless now; 96 teams will kill them.

So much for Bracketology and Selection Sunday.

Maybe the most enduring feature of the tournament was the chance that the little guys, on a neutral court with neutral refs, could shock the national powers--the Richmonds, Hamptons, etc. That goes completely out the window, as those teams would have to win a first round game just to have that chance.

I don't agree with that. Still a huge event amongst people I know, not all of which are die-hard bball fans either.

I agree...i think its rediculous to say it has fallen off...

It is still a much anticipated event...those first two rounds are as good as it gets in sports...

and even most non-sports people know what the Final Four is...BCS? i'm not so sure...

First off this tournament has not fallen off. Everyone i know fills out a bracket.

Second, this has nothing to do with the wussification of America. Its all about money, billions of dollars.

Third, IMO, I have no problem adding 3 more teams and have 4 "play-in" games. I do not want to see it expanding to 90+ teams tho.

If they get rid of the NIT I don't see a problem with it.

Teams that are 10-20 will be making the NIT, lol.

This is really depressing to me. Making the tournament is a big deal, and the breaking point was just about where it should be, IMO.

96 teams in the NCAA tourney = lots and lots of half-empty arenas come March

All we are doing is just like our society, rewarding mediocrity. The conference tournaments will mean nothing, the NIT, will be absolutely useless. I won't waste my time watching 10-18 teams competing in a tournament. My humble opinion, this is bad for college sports.

"good teams" is in the eye of the beholder. To me you aren't very "good" if you're going 7-9 in the conference, and those are the types of teams that are going to get into the tournament if they add 32 teams. Even if you are rather generous and say that the top 5 seeds in each bracket have an actual chance of winning the entire thing, that is only 20 teams. So you currently have 42 teams with little to no chance of winning. Do we really need to add 32 more? Do we need 74 teams in the tournament that have zero chance of winning? (and yes, I realize the tournament is about more than winning the national title)

Yea, who wants teams like this to be included in the NCAA Tournament along with Morehead State, Siena, North Dakota State, Chattanooga, Akron, San Francisco, Morgan State, Cal-State Northridge, etc:

23-9 San Diego State
21-11 Kansas State
26-7 Davidson
22-11 Auburn
20-14 Baylor
22-11 Penn State
23-10 Florida
21-10 UNLV
26-7 Creighton

Most of the NIT is more deserving to be in the "big show" than those clown schools who win 1% or 0% of the time. Sure, those small schools will still get their chance but now you are including legit teams. All of the above teams CAN and WILL beat higher seeds, which will prove they belong in the first place. More good teams, more great games, a bigger and better tournament.

Yea, who wants teams like this to be included in the NCAA Tournament along with Morehead State, Siena, North Dakota State, Chattanooga, Akron, San Francisco, Morgan State, Cal-State Northridge, etc:

23-9 San Diego State
21-11 Kansas State
26-7 Davidson
22-11 Auburn
20-14 Baylor
22-11 Penn State
23-10 Florida
21-10 UNLV
26-7 Creighton

Most of the NIT is more deserving to be in the "big show" than those clown schools who win 1% or 0% of the time. Sure, those small schools will still get their chance but now you are including legit teams. All of the above teams CAN and WILL beat higher seeds, which will prove they belong in the first place. More good teams, more great games, a bigger and better tournament.

I'm with thebigabd on this one. Most of the NIT-level teams would be about 10-12 seed strength in the current tournament, but don't get the chance because of all of the little schools getting auto-bids. Those NIT-level teams could make a run...

Back