96-team NCAA March Madness is "Done Deal"

i'm with big and dsmok. it's really weird to me that people that profess to enjoy college basketball seem to be offended by the idea of having the opportunity to watch an additional 32 tourney games. i don't see how people can see that as a negative.

i guess it's just inherent conservativism. in a few years, we'll all love it. just like we adjusted from the big 8 to the big 12.

Yea, who wants teams like this to be included in the NCAA Tournament along with Morehead State, Siena, North Dakota State, Chattanooga, Akron, San Francisco, Morgan State, Cal-State Northridge, etc:

23-9 San Diego State
21-11 Kansas State
26-7 Davidson
22-11 Auburn
20-14 Baylor
22-11 Penn State
23-10 Florida
21-10 UNLV
26-7 Creighton

Most of the NIT is more deserving to be in the "big show" than those clown schools who win 1% or 0% of the time. Sure, those small schools will still get their chance but now you are including legit teams. All of the above teams CAN and WILL beat higher seeds, which will prove they belong in the first place. More good teams, more great games, a bigger and better tournament.

That isn't how it is going to work out though.

Now, the weak schools will still get in, now some more mediocre schools will get in, and we'll still be saying there are teams in the tournament (clown schools) over the last "big schools" that got left out. That argument won't change.

Nobody has ever argued that the Tournament got the best teams in the tourney. That has never been it's intentions. We all know that those small schools only get in on their auto bids. Adding more mediocre teams won't change that.

That isn't how it is going to work out though.

Now, the weak schools will still get in, now some more mediocre schools will get in, and we'll still be saying there are teams in the tournament (clown schools) over the last "big schools" that got left out. That argument won't change.

Nobody has ever argued that the Tournament got the best teams in the tourney. That has never been it's intentions. We all know that those small schools only get in on their auto bids. Adding more mediocre teams won't change that.
Does big want to just eliminate the auto-bids? I wouldn't like that for my alma-mater, it's their one chance to get to play in the NCAA Tournament.

Does big want to just eliminate the auto-bids? I wouldn't like that for my alma-mater, it's their one chance to get to play in the NCAA Tournament.

That's exactly what he wants.

96 teams...what a complete joke.

That's exactly what he wants.

96 teams...what a complete joke.
Well that's no fun, when we (UIC) played OU in the first round in '02, it was awesome for the school and team. Every D1 player wants to play in the NCAA Tournament. It won't be that big of deal with 96 teams. Why stop there, why don't we just make every team eligible?

How many auto-bids has Tulsa received?

Most of the NIT-level teams would be about 10-12 seed strength in the current tournament

They would be more like 12-14. The last at-large is never 10, sometimes 11, but usually 12. We were an at-large team in 1999 with a 13 seed. The NIT teams are necessarily after the last at-large team in seeding for the tournament, otherwise they would have taken the other team's place.

Alot of over-reaction in this thread. There will be more pressure to get a top 32 seed so you get the first round bye. The 64 round will be a little more competative in some cases, because the lower seed will have already won a game.

You can look at it as a qualifier for 64 teams to get into the tournament. I am full of like for this if it happens. If a team doesn't deserve to be in the tournament, this will eliminate them before it gets to 64, and ensure the top 64 are there.

Yea, who wants teams like this to be included in the NCAA Tournament along with Morehead State, Siena, North Dakota State, Chattanooga, Akron, San Francisco, Morgan State, Cal-State Northridge, etc:

23-9 San Diego State
21-11 Kansas State
26-7 Davidson
22-11 Auburn
20-14 Baylor
22-11 Penn State
23-10 Florida
21-10 UNLV
26-7 Creighton

Most of the NIT is more deserving to be in the "big show" than those clown schools who win 1% or 0% of the time. Sure, those small schools will still get their chance but now you are including legit teams. All of the above teams CAN and WILL beat higher seeds, which will prove they belong in the first place. More good teams, more great games, a bigger and better tournament.

Okay that's 9 teams. Name 23 more.

I agree...i think its rediculous to say it has fallen off...

It is still a much anticipated event...those first two rounds are as good as it gets in sports...

and even most non-sports people know what the Final Four is...BCS? i'm not so sure...

I'm not saying anyone on this board thinks there has been a dropoff in interest..I have watched 80% of every tournament since 1982 and still love it...but the numbers don't lie and "rediculous" [sic] is a little harsh...

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2009/03/31/ncaa-mens-basketball-tournament-tv-ratings/15545

Okay that's 9 teams. Name 23 more.

just look at the nit fields since the ncaa took over the nit. those would be the 65-96 teams. the reg season champs of smaller confs + the next 20 or so at larges left out of the ncaa.

also keep in mind that over time the at large bids will be reduced a bit, as new conferences get auto bids.

There are approximately 350 college basketball team in division 1

Even by moving it to 96 you are still only accounting for only 25% of the schools

How many of you want a 16 team football playoff? Same difference

As long as there is a premuim on quality mid majors getting bids....I think it's awesome and bad news for some high seeds.

I'm not saying anyone on this board thinks there has been a dropoff in interest..I have watched 80% of every tournament since 1982 and still love it...but the numbers don't lie and "rediculous" [sic] is a little harsh...

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2009/03/31/ncaa-mens-basketball-tournament-tv-ratings/15545

It's all relative...

Sure the numbers are down...but there are also hundreds of other options for people now to watch on tv other than basketball...

there are always going to be some years where the numbers spike but overall it is still one of the biggest sporting events in the United States...

Back