-Cade had 18
-Fitzgerald showed signs of life
-TMG played well
-They won

The Bad
-OU got outrebounded by an 0-8 basketball team
-OU gave up 15 offensive rebounds to an 0-8 basketball team

-OU was losing by 6 or 7 in the second half to an 0-8 basketball team
-This OU team is the worst rebounding team I have ever seen at OU, and I have been following since about 1994

But, they won and that's whats important.

Rebounding stats can be deceiving. We shot over 60% for the game including almost 55% from 3-point. When you shoot that well there are not a lot of offensive rebounds for us to gather.

Secondly, it's not so much how many rebounds the other team gets, but WHERE they get them. If they are long rebounds way beyond where we should be positioned, I don't fret about those. Those are rebounds our opponents are gathering because we forced them to shoot harder than they planned and the balls are bouncing wacky.

When Courtney Paris gathered all those rebounds of her own missed shots they should not have points of pride but people looked at stats without analyzing them and assumed we were a superior offensive rebounding team.

It's the mitts that make for better rebounds, not just pure height. Think DeJuan Blair of last year's Pittsburg, for example. He and Blake had the best mitts in the business. And Blair ate Hasheem Thabeet's lunch in rebounding despite giving up 7" in height. Blair is exactly the same height and weight as Drew... and Drew has the mitts. I think if Tiny and Drew have the chance to work together enough, we'll have a good rebounding team.

Those are rebounds our opponents are gathering because we forced them to shoot harder than they planned and the balls are bouncing wacky.

This is one of the funniest things I've ever read on a message board! :ez-roll:

I suspect we agree on more than you think. Years ago, frustrated at the level of negativity on the "big" OU message boards, combined with the disappearance of OU Homer's great board, a few of us created our own, called the "Knee-Jerk Free OU Hoops" message board. It is still out there, many of the posters there now post on this board. That place is a wasteland now, BTW.

I think if you read my posts you'll find I am one of the most optimistic and entusiastic Sooner basketball fans around. I just don't agree with shouting down those that disagree with us. We need fans of all stripes. abd and skyvue and TU may not be your type of OU fan, they may not be my type of OU fan, but they are OU fans, and the only thing that grates on me is the implication that they are somehow happy when the basketball program is not successful. They aren't cheering when Kansas beats OU, I can tell you that.

edit: sorry for hijacking your thread, abd. back to business...

preach it!:clap

This is one of the funniest things I've ever read on a message board! :ez-roll:

Rebounds that bounce out past the free throw line are not hard fought respectable rebounds, they're more in the "lucky" category.

There are good rebounds and bad rebounds. Good rebounds are the ones you win in a scrum, when it's competitive and players are blocking each other out. Neutral rebounds are the ones where it's not competitive like a defensive rebound off a free throw where the defensive team is given a position and numbers advantage. Bad rebounds are the offensive ones where you didn't box out but the ball bounds way out because the shot was so lousy. You take them, you're happy to get them but they're nothing to be proud of.

It's like when you hit a pop-up in baseball and both fielders run into each other and the ball bounces free. Yeah, you made it on base, but it's nothing to be proud of.

It's like when Hank Hill says to Bobby, after Bobby tries stand-up comedy and is happy about getting laughs "Bobby, those are not informed laughs."

Some offensive rebounds result more from really bad shooting rather than from hops and mitts. Nothing to be proud of.

Rebounds that bounce out past the free throw line are not hard fought respectable rebounds, they're more in the "lucky" category.

There are good rebounds and bad rebounds. Good rebounds are the ones you win in a scrum, when it's competitive and players are blocking each other out. Neutral rebounds are the ones where it's not competitive like a defensive rebound off a free throw where the defensive team is given a position and numbers advantage. Bad rebounds are the offensive ones where you didn't box out but the ball bounds way out because the shot was so lousy. You take them, you're happy to get them but they're nothing to be proud of.

It's like when you hit a pop-up in baseball and both fielders run into each other and the ball bounces free. Yeah, you made it on base, but it's nothing to be proud of.

It's like when Hank Hill says to Bobby, after Bobby tries stand-up comedy and is happy about getting laughs "Bobby, those are not informed laughs."

Some offensive rebounds result more from really bad shooting rather than from hops and mitts. Nothing to be proud of.

100% of offensive rebounds are the result of not boxing out.

100% of offensive rebounds are the result of not boxing out.

You can box out all you want but nobody boxes out past the free-throw line. You're not taught to expect a rebound to bounce so far out. It's a happenstance which rewards bad shooting teams.

You can box out all you want but nobody boxes out past the free-throw line. You're not taught to expect a rebound to bounce so far out. It's a happenstance which rewards bad shooting teams.

Maybe not in Junior High, but in college basketball if you aren't boxing out past the FT line you aren't winning and for any good coach you aren't playing.

I suspect we agree on more than you think. Years ago, frustrated at the level of negativity on the "big" OU message boards, combined with the disappearance of OU Homer's great board, a few of us created our own, called the "Knee-Jerk Free OU Hoops" message board. It is still out there, many of the posters there now post on this board. That place is a wasteland now, BTW.

I think if you read my posts you'll find I am one of the most optimistic and entusiastic Sooner basketball fans around. I just don't agree with shouting down those that disagree with us. We need fans of all stripes. abd and skyvue and TU may not be your type of OU fan, they may not be my type of OU fan, but they are OU fans, and the only thing that grates on me is the implication that they are somehow happy when the basketball program is not successful. They aren't cheering when Kansas beats OU, I can tell you that.

edit: sorry for hijacking your thread, abd. back to business...

At least one of the "original" knee jerk free participants had a few knee jerk responses to Alaska. Very tough weekend.

That absolute dismantling of OSU on Saturday did a lot to give me some perspective. (It is off subject but I think OSU had negative 1 yard of offense in the second half - http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-footbl/stats/2009-2010/12_osu.html#GAME.DRV - the way I read that OSU had drives of 9, 0, 4, 0, -15, 1 and 0 in the second half)

Now I can go back to being positive in my perspective.

Back