Agree or Disagree with Michael Rosenberg?

They have a skill that is worth millions in this society, and we are talking about how they get parking passes and school books for free? Seriously?

OU has a lot of athletes that don't have "a skill set worth millions". You gonna pay them too? You gonna pay the basketball players? What about the athletes in the other sports that don't even get full scholarships? If anybody should be complaining, it should be the athletes that have to follow all these rules, and even then DON'T get all the stuff I mentioned above.

As for the Merit Scholars and stuff, they do A LOT for the school that is simply a part of their classroom work, yet the university makes money off of it. And they aren't paid for that stuff.

LMAO...during football season no student is putting in the time these athletes are putting in for sports and school....I was an electrical engineer for two years before switching to mathematics at OU. I studied alot but still had time to party and everything....Never once did I have to wake up at 4 or 5 AM to study...these kids wake up early to work out

You cant compare students to athletes, thats just dumb

BS.

First of all, there are athletes out there that don't even go to class, or barely go to class. A lot of them don't do any work if they do manage to drag themselves to class. Others take easy or light course loads. I don't care how much practice time they have, are you really going to tell me that the pre-med and pre-law kids aren't under the same time constraints? The ones that really want to do well in school, or the ones that school isn't easy for.....absolutely they are working just as hard. I know plenty of students only that studied on weekends, or woke up early, or studied late. TONS!

OU has a lot of athletes that don't have "a skill set worth millions". You gonna pay them too? You gonna pay the basketball players? What about the athletes in the other sports that don't even get full scholarships? If anybody should be complaining, it should be the athletes that have to follow all these rules, and even then DON'T get all the stuff I mentioned above.

As for the Merit Scholars and stuff, they do A LOT for the school that is simply a part of their classroom work, yet the university makes money off of it. And they aren't paid for that stuff.[/QUOTE]

Did you just ignore Big's comment about this? He stated "they can go outside the university and use their skillset to make money, athletes cannot!!"

So do the athletes. I've seen them, I've heard stories, and I've seen the pics.

Baseball Athletes schedule (the way it was when I was in school)

6 AM workout -- depending on the day anywere from 1-2 hours

Classes from 8 - 11 AM

Lunch Noon - 1

Maybe 1 more class 1 - 2

BP from 2-3

Rest 3 - 5ish

6 - 9ish either practice or a game

9-10ish ice--ect...

In bed by 11

NO WAY A STUDENT HAS THE SAME HARSH SCHEDULE

As for the Merit Scholars and stuff, they do A LOT for the school that is simply a part of their classroom work, yet the university makes money off of it. And they aren't paid for that stuff.

1.) If you don't have a skill set worth money, then you shouldnt make money. Pretty simple.

2.) They can make money for their talent and abilities whenever they want to. Athletes, cannot.

I don't see how it will change anything. Alumni and agents will still break the rules even if the schools are allowed to pay players.

Additionally, how does it work? Can OU afford to pay all of its players so they do? Can Texas pay more because Texas has more money? Does each team get to pay 10 guys? If so, OSU, Tech, Baylor, ISU, Missouri, etc. are going to get guys that might have gone and started at OU and Texas because the kids are not going to turn down the money.

I have zero problem with schools giving the players a few hundred a month of spending money, I think they should but to actually pay something meaningfull doesn't seem workable and I don't think it will solve anything.

I don't see how it will change anything. Alumni and agents will still break the rules even if the schools are allowed to pay players.

Additionally, how does it work? Can OU afford to pay all of its players so they do? Can Texas pay more because Texas has more money? Does each team get to pay 10 guys? If so, OSU, Tech, Baylor, ISU, Missouri, etc. are going to get guys that might have gone and started at OU and Texas because the kids are not going to turn down the money.

I have zero problem with schools giving the players a few hundred a month of spending money, I think they should but to actually pay something meaningfull doesn't seem workable and I don't think it will solve anything.

No no no no... The Rosenberg plan has 1 rule: No University funds can be used to pay players.

So the school would NEVER offer players money or pay the players. We are talking about taking 3rd party money.

So the school with best contacts with agents gets its players paid? It is not as simple as Rosenberg wants to act. Changing the rules will simply lead to new violations of the revised rules. I am not per se against the idea, I just don't think it will fix anything.

A handul of kids will be paid and the others will percieve it as unfair. The unpaid and now even more unhappy palyers will then be more likely to violate the rules and take money from alumni and boosters.

So the school with best contacts with agents gets its players paid? It is not as simple as Rosenberg wants to act. Changing the rules will simply lead to new violations of the revised rules. I am not per se against the idea, I just don't think it will fix anything.

A handul of kids will be paid and the others will percieve it as unfair. The unpaid and now even more unhappy palyers will then be more likely to violate the rules and take money from alumni and boosters.

It will fix schools, athletic departments, etc from being punished for players taking money from people. Innocent athletes and entire programs will no longer be hurt by the NCAA because some other athlete took money from someone.

A handful of kids (most, in fact) will be unpaid... just like there are some software engineers who aren't being paid and some are. Some golfers get paid to play golf, the rest of us don't. Those athletes who don't receive money still get their free education, etc.

My big problem is when I see the university selling jerseys like with Adrian Peterson was here, with his number, making a ton of money and Adrian doesnt see a dime. Would that jersey have sold if it was the 4th string RB's number, answer is no....

I don't get this argument at all. It holds no water to me. A player of AD's caliber knows he is going to make millions of dollars in a couple of years and he knows that a jersey with his same number on it is going to sell as well. And to say they didn't see a dime is incorrect as well. Its not like they are forced like slaves (sorry AD) to play football. Its their choice and they know it going in. Suck it up for 3 years and live on a tight budget like everybody else has to...or take out no interest loans. Its not that hard. Don't need to pamper them.

Baseball Athletes schedule (the way it was when I was in school)

6 AM workout -- depending on the day anywere from 1-2 hours

Classes from 8 - 11 AM

Lunch Noon - 1

Maybe 1 more class 1 - 2

BP from 2-3

Rest 3 - 5ish

6 - 9ish either practice or a game

9-10ish ice--ect...

In bed by 11

NO WAY A STUDENT HAS THE SAME HARSH SCHEDULE
I'm I mistaken in thinking that you were forced to play baseball for the university?

You are filling in your open time slots with something that you presumably like to do and signed up for and you are getting scholarships for it if you are good at it. If you aren't good at it then I would have to assume that you are doing it b/c you want to.

I don't get this argument at all. It holds no water to me. A player of AD's caliber knows he is going to make millions of dollars in a couple of years and he knows that a jersey with his same number on it is going to sell as well. And to say they didn't see a dime is incorrect as well. Its not like they are forced like slaves (sorry AD) to play football. Its their choice and they know it going in. Suck it up for 3 years and live on a tight budget like everybody else has to...or take out no interest loans. Its not that hard. Don't need to pamper them.

Maybe AD was a bad example but just because he will make millions in the future doesnt mean he shouldnt benefit off of a jersey sell that the university is making money on ONLY because AD is so good...

What about people like jason white...he didnt get to make millions in the pros but the university still sold his jersey and white didnt see a dime

There is no such thing as a no interest loan. It is a gift of the interest (or payment to the recipient) that would have been charged to other people. Otherwise a very wealthy person could loan a child a couple hundred million without interest and effectively transfer income to that child. The tax code imputes interest. Obviously this is not a tax situation but the concept is quite similar. I am a high rolling agent and I give Andrew Luck $1,000,000 interest free. He earns $20,000 of interest on that money. That is the same thing as paying him $20,000.

Maybe AD was a bad example but just because he will make millions in the future doesnt mean he shouldnt benefit off of a jersey sell that the university is making money on ONLY because AD is so good...

What about people like jason white...he didnt get to make millions in the pros but the university still sold his jersey and white didnt see a dime

Last time I checked, Jason got a free education, got out of college with no loans, and is doing pretty well for himself.

There is no such thing as a no interest loan. It is a gift of the interest (or payment to the recipient) that would have been charged to other people. Otherwise a very wealthy person could loan a child a couple hundred million without interest and effectively transfer income to that child. The tax code imputes interest. Obviously this is not a tax situation but the concept is quite similar. I am a high rolling agent and I give Andrew Luck $1,000,000 interest free. He earns $20,000 of interest on that money. That is the same thing as paying him $20,000.

not what I meant. I forgot to add no interest while in school.

Yep... If someone profits from your talent, and in the case of jerseys, name, how can you with a straight face say the player can't profit from that? It's his jersey!!!! His autograph! etc...

I think this would help college athletics, football and basketball. It would stop the under the table dealings, would stop the NCAA witch-hunts, and would give the best players a little more incentive to play college sports because they arent dirt poor.

Last time I checked, Jason got a free education, got out of college with no loans, and is doing pretty well for himself.

So, you think it is ok for the school and media to make a lot of money off Jason White's ability, but not for Jason White himself to receive royalties or compensation? You think his reward is a sociology degree and travelling around signing autographs? You dont think his talent, fame, and "brand" should be something that he profits from?

I agree with what you said here. Everyone else has just come up with nonsense

I think everyone who is thinking logically could agree players should get paid. But like you said the hard part is figuring out whats fair and whats not. Making sure Texas doesnt get all the talent just because they are the richest...or who do you pay...this would be a difficult thing to tackle.

In my opinion players should only get paid on things like jerseys. If you are that good of a player, and you market yourself well (which will help the university for future recruits) and help sell your jersey then you should get a set percentage....so on and so forth

As ABD mentioned you are basically creating a brand....if you are good like AD and sell jerseys you should profit from that money. So maybe the answer isnt schools or boosters paying directly for someone's jersey, but maybe the answer is profitting from things that are sold based on what you hvae done in college.

So as you stay in school longer your brand gets better (assuming you get better), more things are sold which in turn as you get further in college you make more money.

Last edited:
I've been open to players receiving a stipend since Brian Bosworth petioned this cause about a quarter century ago. It even became more clear to me after reading "Bootlegger's Boy" that athletes who are the driving force for bringing in million$ of revenue for their schools should at least get SOMETHING beyond the standard tuition / rent, etc. Barry Switzer gave us a very convincing argument for that when discussing his players that were very poor, and couldn't afford to even go to the movies.

With that said, Rosenberg's plan is utterly ridiculous on so many fronts, I wouldn't know where to begin. I'll keep it simple. Any plan which WILL result in college sports ANARCHY is not something I could ever get behind. Basically, with his plan, the wealthiest alums decide which schools have the best players. Yikes! Other than Phil Knight, I'm not sure their is a more wealthy individual who is as obsessed with their alma mater's athletic programs than T. Boone Pickens. This "plan" would pretty much put OSU in the running to at least compete for the National Championship every year in every sport. Yeah, great idea. :facepalm

Back