Agree or Disagree with Michael Rosenberg?

No it isn't. It is OU's Jersey and they let him wear it. There are merits to both sides of this debate. It is not a simple problem.

Now I dissagree with you....When AD was in college you walk into a store and see AD's jersey at the front of the store. Why wasnt the linemans jersey sold? Second string running back? so on so forth...

Because of AD's talent the university sold that jersey, and millions there after....AD should profit from that, it is that simple.

If AD sucked, guess what that jersey would not have been sold...

I am sure there were fans that arent even fans of OU that had a AD jersey because they loved him

If we are going to pay the players, there is absolutely no reason for the colleges to be involved. At that point, you need to just make collegiate athletics a club sport, and let people who want to play sports just go to a minor developmental league. Non-profit educational institutions don't need to be spending millions of dollars and negotiating contracts with 17 year old kids.

I'm in law school right now. Despite the fact that I have enough working knowledge of law and the practice of law to do things, I am not allowed to practice law or be paid to practice law until I have completed 3 years of school and passed a test. Why is it so outrageous that you can't be paid as a football player until you've completed three years of school, or paid as a basketball player until you've completed one?

If we are going to pay the players, there is absolutely no reason for the colleges to be involved. At that point, you need to just make collegiate athletics a club sport, and let people who want to play sports just go to a minor developmental league. Non-profit educational institutions don't need to be spending millions of dollars and negotiating contracts with 17 year old kids.

I'm in law school right now. Despite the fact that I have enough working knowledge of law and the practice of law to do things, I am not allowed to practice law or be paid to practice law until I have completed 3 years of school and passed a test. Why is it so outrageous that you can't be paid as a football player until you've completed three years of school, or paid as a basketball player until you've completed one?

1.) Youth is valued in athletics, so saying "they dont need to be spending millions on 17 year old kids" is off base. Plus, millionaires are generally millionaires because they make smart investments and operate profitable businesses. Sinking millions of dollars into a 5-star quarterback is not something I see as being a big issue. They get NO return for their investment. Its just not a move that a rich person would make. If they dumped millions into good running backs and quarterbacks (that they dont even know will be good at the college level, these types of guesses are sometimes and often wrong) they wouldnt be rich anymore.

2.) The professional leagues dont allow players do go straight from high school, so young athletes with monumental talent are pretty much forced to go to college, be poor, showcase their skills, and hope not to be injured so they can get paid in a few years. In football, this is a 4 year process.

3.) In the practice of law, you need to be licensed so that you are recognized by the state that you are competent enough to practice law and serve your district/clients. These types of issues arent a problem for athletes.

Because of AD's talent the university sold that jersey, and millions there after....AD should profit from that, it is that simple.

If AD sucked, guess what that jersey would not have been sold...

I am sure you are correct that if AD was not a star his jersey number would not have sold as much (or at all); however, another jersey probably would have sold. The OU brand was strong long before AD and will be long after AD is retired from the NFL. Perhaps a profit sharing arrangement is appropriate.

Ummm....I think you are wrong there buddy. Sorry to tell you but you dont have to go to school to take the bar exam. You can take the bar exam without going to school

The bar exam I believe is there to make sure you know "your stuff" so when a client chooses you as a lawyer they atleast know you have adequate knowledge.

That comparison does not work, cause in theory you could go take the bar at the next schedule testing time and be a lawyer

I am sure you are correct that if AD was not a star his jersey number would not have sold as much (or at all); however, another jersey probably would have sold. The OU brand was strong long before AD and will be long after AD is retired from the NFL. Perhaps a profit sharing arrangement is appropriate.

I agree.

BUT, OU is a good athletic brand because of its athletes not because of OU being called OU.
So your right if it wasnt AD then it would have been someone else, but that someone else should get some profit from his name

Ummm....I think you are wrong there buddy. Sorry to tell you but you dont have to go to school to take the bar exam. You can take the bar exam without going to school

The bar exam I believe is there to make sure you know "your stuff" so when a client chooses you as a lawyer they atleast know you have adequate knowledge.

That comparison does not work, cause in theory you could go take the bar at the next schedule testing time and be a lawyer

I don't think you may take the Bar Exam wihtout garduating from an accedited law school. You used to be able to do this but I am pretty sure it is no longer that way and hasn't been that way for a long time. I suspect the states have diffferent requirements and I am not positive about this but I am pretty sure when I sat for the Bar Exam in Oklahoma you had to have graduated from an accredited law school.

It would stop the under the table dealings,
doubt it
would stop the NCAA witch-hunts, and would give the best players a little more incentive to play college sports because they arent dirt poor.
I don't think getting a couple thousand a month would make a guy want to stay in school when he is looking at millions.

So, you think it is ok for the school and media to make a lot of money off Jason White's ability, but not for Jason White himself to receive royalties or compensation? You think his reward is a sociology degree and travelling around signing autographs? You dont think his talent, fame, and "brand" should be something that he profits from?

not while he is a student, no i don't.

I think everyone who is thinking logically could agree players should get paid.
They do.

In my opinion players should only get paid on things like jerseys.
Why stop there? Shouldn't he get compensation for tv gigs, interviews, radio time, video games, etc.

How can you separate out like you are doing?

I've been open to players receiving a stipend since Brian Bosworth petioned this cause about a quarter century ago. It even became more clear to me after reading "Bootlegger's Boy" that athletes who are the driving force for bringing in million$ of revenue for their schools should at least get SOMETHING beyond the standard tuition / rent, etc. Barry Switzer gave us a very convincing argument for that when discussing his players that were very poor, and couldn't afford to even go to the movies.

i don't think people understand the value of an education. Those same poor kids that can't afford a movie would have never had a chance for a college education

1.) If you don't have a skill set worth money, then you shouldnt make money. Pretty simple.

Yep... If someone profits from your talent, and in the case of jerseys, name, how can you with a straight face say the player can't profit from that? It's his jersey!!!! His autograph! etc...

You are already talking in circles, so how "simple" can it be. First you say if the player doesn't have the skill set to make a professional living playing football, we shouldn't pay them in college. Then you turn around and say any player that that schools makes money from, all of them really, should get paid.

I think the real argument should be whether or not it is fair to keep kids from going to the NBA/NFL/MLB whenever they want. But even then, there are "alternatives" to going to college. Less for football players, but leagues do exist to get them from HS to the NFL. Basketball players can go overseas. MLB players have other leagues too.

You are already talking in circles, so how "simple" can it be. First you say if the player doesn't have the skill set to make a professional living playing football, we shouldn't pay them in college. Then you turn around and say any player that that schools makes money from, all of them really, should get paid.

lol...really
He said
"If you don't have a skill set worth money, then you shouldnt make money. Pretty simple."

That means, if you are able to sell a jersey then you have a skillset to make money. That doesnt mean you have the skillset to be a professional football player....I.E. Jason White

LMAO, you always try to turn a word or two into something it is not...nice try

lol...really
He said
"If you don't have a skill set worth money, then you shouldnt make money. Pretty simple."

That means, if you are able to sell a jersey then you have a skillset to make money. That doesnt mean you have the skillset to be a professional football player....I.E. Jason White

LMAO, you always try to turn a word or two into something it is not...nice try

Every player has the skill set to make money. Outside of football, they could get a job. At OU, they ALL sell jerseys and play a game that people pay to see. How are you going to differentiate that? You cannot. College is suppose to be amatuer level sports. Amatuers don't get paid.

That is just not true. A few states (maybe 5 or 6) will allow you to serve an apprenticeship under a real lawyer for a term of years in lieu of a formal education. Oklahoma is not one of them. In any case, you cannot just go take the bar exam and become a lawyer. That's now how it works anywhere. Way to spout off without having any clue what you're talking about though. it really strengthens your other positions in the argument.

1.) Youth is valued in athletics, so saying "they dont need to be spending millions on 17 year old kids" is off base. Plus, millionaires are generally millionaires because they make smart investments and operate profitable businesses. Sinking millions of dollars into a 5-star quarterback is not something I see as being a big issue. They get NO return for their investment. Its just not a move that a rich person would make. If they dumped millions into good running backs and quarterbacks (that they dont even know will be good at the college level, these types of guesses are sometimes and often wrong) they wouldnt be rich anymore.

2.) The professional leagues dont allow players do go straight from high school, so young athletes with monumental talent are pretty much forced to go to college, be poor, showcase their skills, and hope not to be injured so they can get paid in a few years. In football, this is a 4 year process.

3.) In the practice of law, you need to be licensed so that you are recognized by the state that you are competent enough to practice law and serve your district/clients. These types of issues arent a problem for athletes.

1) Professional baseball teams routinely sink millions of dollars into 18 year old kids who won't be playing in the majors for years. For a 5 star quarterback, that kid is going to be playing almost immediately in many cases. Obviously only a few schools could afford this, but if you're essentially minting money, like a Texas or an Ohio State, you could afford to pay the top prospects million dollar signing bonuses or whatever.

2) Just like math braniacs are forced to go to college, be poor for a few years, and hope not to burn out before they can go collect 6 figure checks on wall street.

3) To play in the NFL you need to essentially be licensed by the NFL. They want you to go to school for 3 years so they can see if you are competent to play. If it was a viable business model to

That is just not true. A few states (maybe 5 or 6) will allow you to serve an apprenticeship under a real lawyer for a term of years in lieu of a formal education. Oklahoma is not one of them. In any case, you cannot just go take the bar exam and become a lawyer. That's now how it works anywhere. Way to spout off without having any clue what you're talking about though. it really strengthens your other positions in the argument.

lol, do you guys not read entirely before you type

I stated:
"Ummm....I think you are wrong there buddy. Sorry to tell you but you dont have to go to school to take the bar exam. You can take the bar exam without going to school"

As you mentioned you can serve as a apprentice.

In california this is called Judges' Chambers study.

I said you dont have to go to school to take the bar exam, which is true.

I never stated Oklahoma specificly....get your facts right judge.

Back