Am I the only one who likes the Cody Zeller pick?

thebigabd

Reaction score
Zeller measured 7'0'' with shoes, 4.5% body fat, finished 1st in lane agility drill in combine, has a standing vertical jump of 35 inches, and a max vertical of 37 inches. This was also best in combine. His standing vertical jump was the highest ever recorded for a player over 6'9'' at the combine.

Normally you look at numbers like that and think, "yea, but he didnt produce in college/europe". Similar to Alex Len, great on paper, why wasnt he very good on the court? You can't say that about Zeller either. He was a great player at Indiana. Averaged 18 and 9 on a team that had the #2 pick and in the Big 10 conference, not know for high scoring, flashy play.

So, they picked a skilled 7'0'' who also happened to test out as the most athletic power forward or center at the combine.

PG: Kemba Walker (6'1'' 185)
SF: Gerald Henderson (6'5'' 215)
SF: Michael Kidd-Gilchrist (6'7'' 232)
PF: Cody Zeller (7'0'' 230)
C: Byron Mullens (7'0'' 275)

They still have a long way to go, but I think Zeller is a good pick at #4 in this draft.

Last edited:
7'0" is misleading. He only has a 6'10.75" wingspan and 8'10" standing reach, both of which are abnormally short for someone of that height. He has the average wingspan of a SF with a standing reach that's below average for a PF. If he plays a lot of center, I think he'll struggle against the length of NBA 5s.

I thought #4 was a little high, but I would guess that he turns out to be a solid player. It depends on how much his jump shot improves.

Also, Mullens is probably gone. He didn't get a qualifying offer.

7'0" is misleading. He only has a 6'10.75" wingspan and 8'10" standing reach, both of which are abnormally short for someone of that height. He has the average wingspan of a SF with a standing reach that's below average for a PF. If he plays a lot of center, I think he'll struggle against the length of NBA 5s.

I thought #4 was a little high, but I would guess that he turns out to be a solid player. It depends on how much his jump shot improves.

Also, Mullens is probably gone. He didn't get a qualifying offer.

I agree, when they drafted him I figured he would play power forward. I can't see him playing center, even if he is 7'0'' with shoes on.

I am a little surprised by Mullens not getting a QO. He was wildly inconsistent but he shouldnt have had the green light from the coaching staff to jack so many 3's. But he is a young 7 footer with a lot of skill and athletic ability.

He was worth keeping, imo.

Mullens mostly played PF last year, so Zeller is basically replacing Mullens in the role of 7-foot white guy that isn't a center. I'm sure Mullens will get a shot with another NBA team.

I was fine with Mullens shooting 3s, though not necessarily that many, on a team that was doomed to be horrible. It could pay off for him in the long run. Bigs that can space the floor are a valuable commodity.

Back