Am I the only one that thinks Kentucky is bull****?

I don't normally take a lot of what Dick Vitale says serious, but in this case I believe he's spot on.

The one-year rule is the worst thing that ever happened to college basketball. If a kid is good enough to go to the NBA right out of high school (or junior high, for that matter), power to him. But if he's not yet NBA ready and chooses to go to college, he should not be allowed to leave until he's been there three years.

Flame away.

I don't normally take a lot of what Dick Vitale says serious, but in this case I believe he's spot on.

The one-year rule is the worst thing that ever happened to college basketball. If a kid is good enough to go to the NBA right out of high school (or junior high, for that matter), power to him. But if he's not yet NBA ready and chooses to go to college, he should not be allowed to leave until he's been there three years.

Flame away.

I like the MLB draft eligibility rules. If a player is talented enough to get drafted out of high school...get paid, have fun. But if you decide to go to college, you can't get drafted until after your junior year or 21 years old. The NBA could do the college game a lot of favors if they'd enact a similar rule.

I like the MLB draft eligibility rules. If a player is talented enough to get drafted out of high school...get paid, have fun. But if you decide to go to college, you can't get drafted until after your junior year or 21 years old. The NBA could do the college game a lot of favors if they'd enact a similar rule.

Agree (especially since you're saying exactly the same thing I said in my post). :ez-laugh:

I don't think its a tremendous accomplishment at all.... The guy assembled a bunch of superstars and is beating a bunch of amateurs. There is nothing tremendous about that.

The average height of their team would be second only to the Portland Trailblazers in the NBA. Seriously, Kentucky is the second biggest team in the NBA. They are .40 inches away from being bigger than any team in the NBA.

Their starters go 6'6'', 6'6'', 6'10'', 6'10'', 7'0''... On top of having more talent, more athletic ability, etc than everyone else... They are much bigger than everyone else....

Take West Virginia... a good team.

Juwan Staten-- 6'1''
Devin Williams-- 6'9''
Jevon Carter--6'2''
Jon Holton--6'7''
Daxter Miles-- 6'3''
Gary Browne-- 6'1''
Jaysean Paige-- 6'1''

These are pretty much your run of the mill college teams... OU's biggest guy is 6'7''. OSU's biggest guy is 6'7''. It's pretty typical in college basketball.

I mean, his job is to recruit the best players he can and win. I am not saying Calipari should be sending people away who want to play for him. I am saying that at some point it's so absurd that it gets discredited. That's not their fault. They are doing what they should be doing... I am saying their accomplishments are turning into a "who cares" type of a thing because of how ridiculous they are.

It's not like we are the only people talking about this....

Your argument doesn't make sense. Your argument is "Kentucky is a lot better than everyone else so winning is less meaningful." How? If anything, it's more significant since they're that much better than everyone else.

The goal of athletics at upper levels (or the main goal) is to compete and reward those who win the competitions. It's not to see who can do the most with the least. Surely you're not suggesting the NCAA even out the talent on all the teams and then see who wins. The team with the best players and the best coach who plays the best wins.

Is your point that it's not fair for 1 team to be so much better than everyone else? If so, maybe you're right but, again, that's not the point of collegiate athletics. Are UCLA's accomplishments (wwinning championships several years in a row) less valuable because they were so much better than everyone else? If so, you'd be hard pressed to get anyone to agree with you.

You must have accidentally deleted all your evidence to support all the additional benefits these UK players are getting.

Calipari is the only coach in NCAA history to have trips to the Final Four vacated at two different schools; UMass and Memphis – not exactly the type of thing you want on your resume. But it sums up his coaching career perfectly; successful yet controversial. This leads some college basketball fans to wonder if and when something will come out about his runs to the Final Four with Kentucky.

Both of his Naismith Coach of the Year awards came in seasons that were later vacated by the NCAA. Yes, Calipari does not technically have any violations to his name but the vacated wins say more than enough about his coaching career. Calipari is often labeled as a “cheater” – this is why.

Flame away.

I'm not going to flame, but I will disagree. Maybe it's bad for college basketball. In truth, I'm not a huge fan of 1-and-done. However, that's an NBA rule, not an NCAA rule. And, like you ( I think) I'm ok with players going straight to the NBA from high school.

More importantly, we're talking about people who, though young, ought to be allowed to make a living however they see fit. They're adults legally and if they want to go to college, they should be allowed to. If they want to play professional basketball, they should be allowed to. It's his life and I don't see why he should be forced to stay in college if he doesn't need to.

An actor or musician wouldn't have to. An inventor wouldn't have to. Any other college student can drop out to pursue professional goals so the same should be true for basketball players as well.

Last edited:
Exactly. See e.g. the UCONN/Tennessee effect in the women's game.
Women's college basketball games on ESPN average more viewers than WNBA games.

This notion that Kentucky being a stacked, dominant team is bad for the game doesn't add up.

For hardcore college basketball fans with a strong allegiance to a particular program, I'm sure it's irritating, but those are the people that are going to watch regardless.

Casual fans love watching potentially historically great teams. When the Miami Heat stacked their roster in 2010, a lot of fans threw a fit. A small percentage of fans praised LeBron and co. for teaming up. But everyone watched, hardcore and casual fans alike. Some just wanted to witness greatness accomplished, while many watched in hopes of seeing the Heat fail.

Likewise, a lot of casual fans are going to continue to watch Kentucky's game to see if they can pull off the perfect season.

I don't think its a tremendous accomplishment at all.... The guy assembled a bunch of superstars and is beating a bunch of amateurs. There is nothing tremendous about that.

The average height of their team would be second only to the Portland Trailblazers in the NBA. Seriously, Kentucky is the second biggest team in the NBA. They are .40 inches away from being bigger than any team in the NBA.

Their starters go 6'6'', 6'6'', 6'10'', 6'10'', 7'0''... On top of having more talent, more athletic ability, etc than everyone else... They are much bigger than everyone else....

Take West Virginia... a good team.

Juwan Staten-- 6'1''
Devin Williams-- 6'9''
Jevon Carter--6'2''
Jon Holton--6'7''
Daxter Miles-- 6'3''
Gary Browne-- 6'1''
Jaysean Paige-- 6'1''

These are pretty much your run of the mill college teams... OU's biggest guy is 6'7''. OSU's biggest guy is 6'7''. It's pretty typical in college basketball.

I mean, his job is to recruit the best players he can and win. I am not saying Calipari should be sending people away who want to play for him. I am saying that at some point it's so absurd that it gets discredited. That's not their fault. They are doing what they should be doing... I am saying their accomplishments are turning into a "who cares" type of a thing because of how ridiculous they are.

It's not like we are the only people talking about this....

Spangler, Thomas, Lattin, and McNeace are all 6' 8" or taller

Calipari is the only coach in NCAA history to have trips to the Final Four vacated at two different schools; UMass and Memphis – not exactly the type of thing you want on your resume. But it sums up his coaching career perfectly; successful yet controversial. This leads some college basketball fans to wonder if and when something will come out about his runs to the Final Four with Kentucky.

Both of his Naismith Coach of the Year awards came in seasons that were later vacated by the NCAA. Yes, Calipari does not technically have any violations to his name but the vacated wins say more than enough about his coaching career. Calipari is often labeled as a “cheater” – this is why.

I know why some consider Calipari a cheater but it's important to note that he was never implicated in either the Camby or Derrick Rose situations. His teams' wins were vacated but not because he cheated. Perhaps (pprobably?) he should have exercised more control but it wasn't he who cheated.

I don't want to spend more time defending Calipari because I don't have strong feelings for him one way or the other, but there is no evidence that any player at Kentucky has gotten any illegal or questionable benefits. Even if Calipari had cheated at UMass and Memphis, there is not 1 shred of evidence that he's cheating now or that anyone inside the Kentucky basketball program is cheating. That's really the point I was trying to make.

Your argument doesn't make sense. Your argument is "Kentucky is a lot better than everyone else so winning is less meaningful." How? If anything, it's more significant since they're that much better than everyone else.

Are you impressed that Kentucky is winning on this level? You think they, with that collection of size and talent, are doing something incredible? They are performing to expectations by beating good teams by 30.

The more this goes on, the more people are saying "who cares", or don't think it's even good for the sport for them to be this way.

The goal of athletics at upper levels (or the main goal) is to compete and reward those who win the competitions. It's not to see who can do the most with the least. Surely you're not suggesting the NCAA even out the talent on all the teams and then see who wins. The team with the best players and the best coach who plays the best wins.

Sure, and when it reaches a ridiculous level like this you will have fans of the sport, people in the media, coaches and players from other teams, etc not care about your accomplishment. Certainly not look at it as some remarkable thing, because it isn't. They will have a, "of course we lost, they have 8 professional basketball players on their team" type of mentality.

And no, I am not suggesting the NCAA spread out the talent. That is ridiculous. I am stating that even though they are 30-whatever and 0, nobody is surprised, and the longer it goes on and the more they destroy people, the fewer people/coaches/media, etc will care. In other words, them being this good compared to their competition will discredit their own achievements.

Spangler, Thomas, Lattin, and McNeace are all 6' 8" or taller

Sorry, you are right, Lattin and McNease are probably bigger than that. Spangler is 6'6'' and so is Thomas.

Are you impressed that Kentucky is winning on this level? You think they, with that collection of size and talent, are doing something incredible? They are performing to expectations by beating good teams by 30.

The more this goes on, the more people are saying "who cares", or don't think it's even good for the sport for them to be this way.

Sure, and when it reaches a ridiculous level like this you will have fans of the sport, people in the media, coaches and players from other teams, etc not care about your accomplishment. Certainly not look at it as some remarkable thing, because it isn't. They will have a, "of course we lost, they have 8 professional basketball players on their team" type of mentality.

And no, I am not suggesting the NCAA spread out the talent. That is ridiculous. I am stating that even though they are 30-whatever and 0, nobody is surprised, and the longer it goes on and the more they destroy people, the fewer people/coaches/media, etc will care. In other words, them being this good compared to their competition will discredit their own achievements.

Sorry, you are right, Lattin and McNease are probably bigger than that. Spangler is 6'6'' and so is Thomas.

I go to class with Spangler and Thomas. They are a legit 6' 8". Easy to tell when I stand next to them.

I'm sorry but I just don't agree that no one will care about the accomplishment because of how good they are. Do people care that UCLA won several championships in a row in the 60's and 70's? They were miles better than anyone else. I'm impressed that they did it and I think people still care. For the most part, it's recognized as a tremendous accomplishment.

What you're basically saying is Kentucky cannot be beaten. And I think they will be beaten. You're just overreacting from the ****ty west virginia team with no offense getting pounded into the ground. Yea the same team that ran their gimmick at home and pounded us.

So what? Kentucky will not win the tournament.

Bottom line... history shows more times than not when you witness a team collect an embarrassment of riches in time shenanigans are often the reason.

Last edited:
Bottom line... history shows more times than not when you witness a team collect an embarrassment of riches in time shenanigans are often the reason.

One thing you can be pretty certain of is that they will not all be on the same team next year.

And, yes I think that will be better for college basketball. It is more interesting for most fans when the games & championships are more competitive.

Back