Am I wrong about next year?

thebigabd

Reaction score
I have frequently said that next year won't be better/worse than this year, just different. Because it will largely be the same makeup of players, but a different method to fit the remaining players.

Am I right about that though? Will next years team have a chance to be better, just different, without Doolittle?

PG: Jamal Bienemy/Devion Harmon/Trey Phipps
SG: Austin Reaves/Alondes Williams
SG: Devion Harmon/Jalen Hill/Anyang Garang
PF: Brady Manek/Corbin Merritt
C: Kur Kuath/Ricky Issanza

Hard to imagine that changes... Is it possible that a team with starters who will likely average over 30mpg again... Manek/Harmon/reaves/JB... is that much better than this year, or better at all?

I am starting to question my own thinking on that...

I have frequently said that next year won't be better/worse than this year, just different. Because it will largely be the same makeup of players, but a different method to fit the remaining players.

Am I right about that though? Will next years team have a chance to be better, just different, without Doolittle?

PG: Jamal Bienemy/Devion Harmon/Trey Phipps
SG: Austin Reaves/Alondes Williams
SG: Devion Harmon/Jalen Hill/Anyang Garang
PF: Brady Manek/Corbin Merritt
C: Kur Kuath/Ricky Issanza

Hard to imagine that changes... Is it possible that a team with starters who will likely average over 30mpg again... Manek/Harmon/reaves/JB... is that much better than this year, or better at all?

I am starting to question my own thinking on that...

We all envisioned a leap for Bieniemy but that leap didn't materialize. We need Harmon to make that leap and for Bieniemy's problems to be a sophomore slump.

Unless we add a mystery superstar player (not happening) or unless the returning guys make a huge jump in production (possible, not likely) we are not going to be any better next season. We may be worse. I think it’s likely we are a bubble team yet again. That is our fate under Lon forever until he decides to hang it up or move on.

I'm not an expert on available roster spots, but if we do have one available, I pray for a solid grad transfer that can contribute (preferably a shooter who can handle the ball).

We all envisioned a leap for Bieniemy but that leap didn't materialize. We need Harmon to make that leap and for Bieniemy's problems to be a sophomore slump.

Ok, but that's what we did last year..

"If Jamal gets to 11ppg".... "I bet Harmon averages 14 per game, because he was a top 50 player", "and I bet Kur does X because he redshirted and gained 20 pounds", etc.

My baseball coach used to call that "throwing hopes".... Of course, players do develop of the course of their careers. Some remarkably so. But I think Jamal just is what he is. We have a very large sample size with a lot of minutes played... Harmon needs more time. Etc.

Another year of treading water.
If the trend continues, Harmon/Hill/Vic will be worse next year.

actually I think we end up being MUCH better next season. that defensive effort I saw out of the kids (especially Harmon) against UT really piqued my interest. Harmon was working his tail off out there. as much as I frown at our typical iso offense I can see a method to Lon's madness. Our big guys do a good job of over-hedging on the switch ... we play the pick & roll well and it's been noted by more than a few announcers. if we can build on that next season and thus have a little more time for some sets (which they'll need more without Doo) we should be improved. it's the boards killing us in so many games right now. we need vic and kur and merritt and some other tall, big buttocks in the paint and with this years' experience we should be bigger inside.

I would say different but the same. Probably within a game or so of .500 in the Big 12. Probably a 9-10 seed AT BEST. Probably another frustrating season for some of us.

I’m looking forward to it. The team should be better at a lot of things including rebounding and post defense with a traditional 5. Also think the offense might look better with a 1 in 4 out.

actually I think we end up being MUCH better next season. that defensive effort I saw out of the kids (especially Harmon) against UT really piqued my interest. Harmon was working his tail off out there. as much as I frown at our typical iso offense I can see a method to Lon's madness. Our big guys do a good job of over-hedging on the switch ... we play the pick & roll well and it's been noted by more than a few announcers. if we can build on that next season and thus have a little more time for some sets (which they'll need more without Doo) we should be improved. it's the boards killing us in so many games right now. we need vic and kur and merritt and some other tall, big buttocks in the paint and with this years' experience we should be bigger inside.

When our bigs over-hedge on the pick and roll we get killed. This has been a huge problem, especially for Kur, and it's a major reason he doesn't get more minutes. I have no idea why you think they do a good job at it.

Last edited:
With one of our top scorers leaving...I’ll say even at best.

JB got worse 2nd year.

Harmon will need to step up.

Adding a 6’ “shooter” vs losing a 6’8 multiplayer.

Williams/Hill are big ?’s

Reaves / Manek are who they are.

Post- Kur? The 7’er...?

So, we will continue to play outside-in, vs the other, like this yr. Will the new guard help or hurt?

Gotta find a grad transfer big in my opinion to be better. Manek and Kur I like, but not expecting Kur to be able to play more than 20min a game. Victor will be a hustle/defender type of a player that gets 12-15min a game. Trusting a RS Fr skinny guy or Merritt as our 4th big scares me.

Guard wise we gotta be better! I'd like to think Reaves has a better year, Harmon is a dog, and JB can only go up.

Gotta find a grad transfer big in my opinion to be better. Manek and Kur I like, but not expecting Kur to be able to play more than 20min a game. Victor will be a hustle/defender type of a player that gets 12-15min a game. Trusting a RS Fr skinny guy or Merritt as our 4th big scares me.

Guard wise we gotta be better! I'd like to think Reaves has a better year, Harmon is a dog, and JB can only go up.

man, I have 0 confidence in Victor....that dude looks lost 90% of the time. Yeah he's athletic but he provides ZERO offensive threat...IMHO.

He just doesn't look "smooth" at all. I'm thinking he's one that hasn't played ball much? is that right...

I understand the question/concern being posed by Big, but most, not all, kids have gradually improved under lon.

There needs to be some development of the kids coming back, and we will just have to wait and see if that happens. Garang and RI are unknowns, at least to me. Not sure what if any impact they will have.

I anticipate the starting lineup and rotation will look something like this year with Kauth taking Doo's place. That is a decent lineup. We will miss Doo but Kauth has really come on this year and does give us some things that Doo doesn't.

The key will again be shooting. Can JB and Reaves rebound and find their shot again. Can Alondes, Vic and Hill get more comfortable and used to the opposition talent that comes with experience.

Good question. I don't think this can be answered until fall camp next year. Let's revisit this issue then.

I understand the question/concern being posed by Big, but most, not all, kids have gradually improved under lon.

There needs to be some development of the kids coming back, and we will just have to wait and see if that happens. Garang and RI are unknowns, at least to me. Not sure what if any impact they will have.

I anticipate the starting lineup and rotation will look something like this year with Kauth taking Doo's place. That is a decent lineup. We will miss Doo but Kauth has really come on this year and does give us some things that Doo doesn't.

The key will again be shooting. Can JB and Reaves rebound and find their shot again. Can Alondes, Vic and Hill get more comfortable and used to the opposition talent that comes with experience.

Good question. I don't think this can be answered until fall camp next year. Let's revisit this issue then.

Find their shot again? When did they ever have their shot?

Back