OU Recruiting - Last 5 Years

thebigabd

Reaction score
Excluding portal. Traditional recruiting only.

2018 - 2 players
-Jamal Bienemy
-Kur Kuath

2019 - 7 players
-Jalen Hill
-Victor Iwuakor
-Devion Harmon
-Rick Issanza
-Anyang Garang
-Alondes Williams
-Corbin Merritt

2020 - 2 players
-Trey Phipps
-Josh O'Garro

2021 - 4 players
-CJ Noland
-Akol Mawein
-Alston Mason
-Bijan Cortes

2022 - 4 players
-Luke Norweather
-Milos Uzan
-Otega Oweh
-Benny Schroeder

19 total players signed.

By my count, 10 of the 19 players didn't work out. We will see what happens with Noland, Cortes, Norweather, etc as well.

Didn't work out:
  • Akol Mawein
  • Alston Mason
  • Jamal Bienemy
  • Victor Iwuakor
  • Devion Harmon
  • Rick Issanza
  • Anyang Garang
  • Corbin Merritt
  • Trey Phipps
  • Josh O'Garro

Another concerning trend is good players, starters, etc fleeing the program. Kur Kuath could have stayed at OU, and instead went to Marquette. Brady Manek could have stayed at OU, and instead went to UNC... Umoja Gibson could have stayed, and went to Depaul. Eli Harkless could have stayed, and instead went to UNLV... Alondes Williams could have stayed, and instead went to Wake Forest and was ACC player of the year....

We can talk about coaching, Porter Moser, the offense, etc... But you can't have half your incoming players not work out and all your starters, contributors, etc fleeing the program every year and sustain any level of success.

The purpose of this is the debate on whether this is a coaching problem or a talent/roster problem... I keep stating its a talent/roster problem, so I decided to look at the foundation of the program and see if anything was amiss. I think its quite clear that something is wrong. The program is bringing in too much dead weight, and has too much talent leaving the program in the past few years with eligibility on the table.

Excluding portal. Traditional recruiting only.

2018 - 2 players
-Jamal Bienemy
-Kur Kuath

2019 - 7 players
-Jalen Hill
-Victor Iwuakor
-Devion Harmon
-Rick Issanza
-Anyang Garang
-Alondes Williams
-Corbin Merritt

2020 - 2 players
-Trey Phipps
-Josh O'Garro

2021 - 4 players
-CJ Noland
-Akol Mawein
-Alston Mason
-Bijan Cortes

2022 - 4 players
-Luke Norweather
-Milos Uzan
-Otega Oweh
-Benny Schroeder

19 total players signed.

By my count, 10 of the 19 players didn't work out. We will see what happens with Noland, Cortes, Norweather, etc as well.

Didn't work out:
  • Akol Mawein
  • Alston Mason
  • Jamal Bienemy
  • Victor Iwuakor
  • Devion Harmon
  • Rick Issanza
  • Anyang Garang
  • Corbin Merritt
  • Trey Phipps
  • Josh O'Garro

Another concerning trend is good players, starters, etc fleeing the program. Kur Kuath could have stayed at OU, and instead went to Marquette. Brady Manek could have stayed at OU, and instead went to UNC... Umoja Gibson could have stayed, and went to Depaul. Eli Harkless could have stayed, and instead went to UNLV... Alondes Williams could have stayed, and instead went to Wake Forest and was ACC player of the year....

We can talk about coaching, Porter Moser, the offense, etc... But you can't have half your incoming players not work out and all your starters, contributors, etc fleeing the program every year and sustain any level of success.

The purpose of this is the debate on whether this is a coaching problem or a talent/roster problem... I keep stating its a talent/roster problem, so I decided to look at the foundation of the program and see if anything was amiss. I think its quite clear that something is wrong. The program is bringing in too much dead weight, and has too much talent leaving the program in the past few years with eligibility on the table.

Do the analysis for other programs and I suspect you'll find similar numbers of transfers. We got two solid years from Harmon, and JB was very steady and productive as a freshman, so I don't know that is is accurate to say they didn't work out. And I still don't get why so many people fail to recognize that the last few scholarship players on just about any roster will rarely make much of an impact on the floor. There are 60+ P5 teams, which means close to 800 scholarship players in those leagues. There simply are not 800 players good enough to be difference makers at this level. So while I would love to have a stud as our 10th man, that just isn't realistic. Just like MLB teams draft players they know will likely never sniff the bigs because they know they need to fill out minor league rosters, coaches know that not all scholarships are going to guys who will end up as key rotation players.

The far more troubling issue is when you are having to start guys like Jacob and Tanner and CJ and Bijan who should be your 7-10 guys.

I don't think you can just do traditional recruits to make a point. The portal is at least half of your main players in most instances.

"But you can't have half your incoming players not work out and all your starters, contributors, etc fleeing the program every year and sustain any level of success."

Agree 100%

Do the analysis for other programs and I suspect you'll find similar numbers of transfers. We got two solid years from Harmon, and JB was very steady and productive as a freshman, so I don't know that is is accurate to say they didn't work out. And I still don't get why so many people fail to recognize that the last few scholarship players on just about any roster will rarely make much of an impact on the floor. There are 60+ P5 teams, which means close to 800 scholarship players in those leagues. There simply are not 800 players good enough to be difference makers at this level. So while I would love to have a stud as our 10th man, that just isn't realistic. Just like MLB teams draft players they know will likely never sniff the bigs because they know they need to fill out minor league rosters, coaches know that not all scholarships are going to guys who will end up as key rotation players.

The far more troubling issue is when you are having to start guys like Jacob and Tanner and CJ and Bijan who should be your 7-10 guys.

I think Bijan has started one game in his two years so your inclusion of him here is bewildering (can’t believe I used that word). He has played more this year because Joe B. has played so poorly. Bam’s increased play the last two games has meant fewer minutes for Bijan and Oweh’s has resulted in fewer minutes for Jacob. Both positive changes IMO.

I will say in Bijan’s defense that his 2:1 assist to turnover ratio would be at least 3:1 if his teammates could finish at the basket…or at least just catch the ball when he passes it.

I think Bijan has started one game in his two years so your inclusion of him here is bewildering (can’t believe I used that word). He has played more this year because Joe B. has played so poorly. Bam’s increased play the last two games has meant fewer minutes for Bijan and Oweh’s has resulted in fewer minutes for Jacob. Both positive changes IMO.

I will say in Bijan’s defense that his 2:1 assist to turnover ratio would be at least 3:1 if his teammates could finish at the basket…or at least just catch the ball when he passes it.

I am not saying he is good, but the criteria for being on the "has worked out" list is:

He is on the team
He is physically present
He is actively playing in games

I don't think you can just do traditional recruits to make a point. The portal is at least half of your main players in most instances.

Kansas has two transfers on roster
Baylor has three transfers on roster
Texas has 5 transfers on roster
Oklahoma has six transfers on roster
Texas Tech has six transfers on roster

I don't know what to make of that, if anything. The two worst place teams in the league have 6 transfers, but the best team in the league has 5.

Perhaps the data needs to show overall production on the roster, transfer vs organic. I don't have time for that right now, but if the claim is that we can't determine if recruiting is a disaster by looking at organic recruiting, then we would likely have to do that.

List of all 2022 transfers by team:

Year Team Name Transfer from 247Stars Role PPG/RPG/APG
2022 Texas Tyrese Hunter Iowa St 5 Starter 10.1/3.4/2.8
2022 Texas Sir'Jabari Ride NMSU 3 Starter 11.7/3.6/2
2022 Baylor Caleb Lohner BYU 3 Bench 3.7/4.2/0.4
2022 Baylor Jalen Bridges WVU 4 Starter 9.6/6.0/1.0
2022 Iowa State Osun Osunniyi St. Bonaventure 4 Starter 9.0/4.1/1.2
2022 Iowa State Jaren Holmes St. Bonaventure 3 STAR 13.5/3.5/3.4
2022 Iowa State Hasan Ward VCU 3 Bench 2.8/2.0/0.3
2022 Iowa State Jeremiah Williams Temple 3 None
2022 Iowa State Conrad Hawley Kansas 3 Clean-Up 0.2/1.0/0.0
2022 Kansas Kevin McCullar Texas Tech 4 Starter 10.4/7.8/2.2
2022 Kansas St Tykei Greene Stony Brook 0 Bench 3.3/1.6/0.3
2022 Kansas St Keyontae Johnson Florida 3 STAR 17.6/7.6/2.1
2022 Kansas St David N'Guessan Virginia Tech 3 Bench 7.1/4.3/1.1
2022 Kansas St Jerrell Colbert LSU 3 None
2022 Kansas St Cam Carter Mississippi St 4 Starter 6.4/2.8/1.4
2022 Oklahoma Grant Sherfield Nevada 4 STAR 16.5/2.5/3.3
2022 Oklahoma Sam Godwin Wofford 3 Bench 5.3/3.4/0.5
2022 Oklahoma Joe Bamisile George Washington 3 Bench 3.6/2.6/0.3
2022 TCU Rondel Walker Oklahoma St 3 Bench 2.1/1.7/0.8
2022 TCU Tyler Lundblade SMU 3 Clean-Up 0.5/0.5/0.3
2022 Oklahoma St John-Michael Wright High Point 3 Starter 9.5/2.9/1.7
2022 Oklahoma St Caleb Asberry Texas St 0 Starter 8.1/3.4/1.7
2022 Oklahoma St Russell Harrison UL-Monroe 0 None
2022 West Virginia Tre Mitchell Texas 3 Starter 11.5/5.4/1.8
2022 West Virginia Emmit Matthews Jr. Washington 3 Starter 9.7/3.7/1.2
2022 West Virginia Joue Toussaint Iowa 3 Starter 10.1/2.8/2.6
2022 West Virginia Erik Stevenson South Carolina 3 STAR 14.2/3.5/2.5
2022 Texas Tech Jaylon Tyson Texas 4 Starter 11.6/1.9/2.8
2022 Texas Tech Kerwin Walton UNC 3 Bench 4.3/1.0/0.5
2022 Texas Tech De'Vion Harmon Oregon 4 Starter 13.3/2.9/3.6
2022 Texas Tech D'Maurian Williams Gardner-Webb 3 Bench 3.3/1.3/0.7
2022 Texas Tech Fardaws Aimaq Utah Valley 4 Injured 8.0/5.3/1.5

As far as replaced production. WVU seems to have benefitted the most with 3 starters and their star producer from the portal.

West Va portal players have produced but until recently wasn't Huggins on the very hot seat because of the teams' record though they have rebounded of late?

Back