Am I wrong about next year?

When our bigs over-hedge on the pick and roll we get killed. This has been a huge problem, especially for Kur, and it's a major reason he doesn't get more minutes. I have no idea why you think they do a good job at it.

oh BS. Kur's problem is he's not getting back quick enough. I watch Brady hedge way out there and fight like a demon to get back and I think he does it right. Kur just isn't quite quick enough yet.

oh BS. Kur's problem is he's not getting back quick enough. I watch Brady hedge way out there and fight like a demon to get back and I think he does it right. Kur just isn't quite quick enough yet.

You must be watching a different game, we are the worst at hedging, and we do it when it isn't even necessary. Manek and Doolittle have at least an idea of what to do. The rest of our big men are completely lost on defense.

When our bigs over-hedge on the pick and roll we get killed. This has been a huge problem, especially for Kur, and it's a major reason he doesn't get more minutes. I have no idea why you think they do a good job at it.

Rarely does anybody score on the roll when OU does it & it keeps the other guards from getting into the lane. Kur is usually the only one who gives up buckets off of it because he takes too long getting back & doesn't have active hands on the guards.

Find their shot again? When did they ever have their shot?

I think this is the number 1 thing people seem to either overlook, ignore, or simply believe is not true, but YES, when did these guys EVER have their shot? Especially since this year is really the only sample that should be looked upon, as the arc was moved back.

As discussed in several game threads, Bieniemy can't hit the broad side of the barn when he's wide open, and he's missed countless wide open jumpers in the lane as well. Reaves is simply a volume shooter who chucks it up a ton and sometimes they go in, but a good shooter that does not make.

At the risk of beating a dead horse, since I've said this many, many times...after 60 or so college games, you are what you are. And there is simply no reason to expect anything more from Bieniemy next year. I could see Reaves scoring more, if only because there will be a lot more shots to go around, but that also doesn't mean he will have improved/gotten better.

I actually thought about this thread topic randomly last week, and was surprised at how disappointed/scared I was of next year. Maybe I too chose to ignore it, but when you break it all down, especially without crimson and cream colored glasses on, there's really no reason at all to think we'll be better. ESPECIALLY since the conference will likely only be stronger next year, after what has been a very down year (from top to bottom), aside from the two stud teams.

I do like Hill a lot, FWIW, and I'm glad he's getting meaningful minutes this year, as that should, in theory, help him make a big leap next year. But we're also talking about a kid averaging 2 ppg this year, so even if he leaps to 10 next year, that's not going to put us over the top.

Aside from Manek, our PF and C give us nothing. Heck, Manek is a liability on defense, at times. Those positions are where Lon has really struggled to recruit.

Lon really needs to change his recruiting MO somewhat. We need to start getting guys that are more skilled. Guys that can shoot and score the ball efficiently at the guard spots. Feels like we've went after the 5* guys that fit that description, and when we don't get them, we go after athletes that might develop, and not guys that might be undersized but have played hoops their entire life and know how to score the rock. There is nothing more overrated in basketball than recruiting monster athletes that don't have the skill set ot make the athleticism worth anything.

i mean except for Doolittle

This is about next year. This year is essentially over, as OU is not anything more than a first weekend NCAA team (and may not even be that if they end with 2 losses). Next year could be worse.

Lon really needs to change his recruiting MO somewhat.

He needs to change it a lot.

We need to start getting guys that are more skilled. Guys that can shoot and score the ball efficiently at the guard spots.

I agree.

It’s way too early to make a prediction about next year’s team. There are too many variables and too many unknowns, among them the obvious impact of losing our best player, Kristian Doolittle:

—Are the reports about Garang’s ability to shoot/score from the wing accurate?
—Is Merritt at 6’ 9” 245 the big with some bulk we have been begging for?
—Will our 7’ 1” redshirt freshman, Rick Issanza, contribute from the five?
—Harmon, Hill and Iwuakor have all showed promise to varying degrees this season. Will they take the steps necessary for them to take on a bigger load as sophomores?
—Will next year’s juniors (Manek, Reaves, Kuath and Williams) take that giant step as seniors we’ll need to be better next season? IMO, these four players will be the key to any success we have.
—How about Jamal Bieniemy. He’s been a bit of an enigma so far. Will he be better or stay the same?
—Next year’s team will need a leader. Harmon was the closest player we had to filling that role this season. Will the team look to him for leadership, or will someone else (maybe more than one) assume that responsibility?
—At this point none of us know if someone will transfer in or out after the current season is over.

For these and perhaps other questions you might be able to add to my list, I’m not going to make a prediction for next year’s team. I did that last year and I was so wrong I learned from the experience. I’m not going to make that mistake again.

JMO but OU needs to find another 6'8 ish player ready to play. Easier said than done, but they should be trying relentlessly.

For now, I'll say OU will be worse next season. Reaves will have the ultimate green light. That scares me.

I think OU will be a good team next year. Too me the biggest improvement can come from Harmon. This league is driven by point guard play and Harmon just wasn’t consistent this year. So many people on here hyped him up as a possible one and done. The guy is definitely a four year college player. If he improves, I like OUs offense as far as scoring returning for next year. Find a grad transfer big that has experience and OU can compete for a big 12 title next year.

I think OU will be a good team next year. Too me the biggest improvement can come from Harmon. This league is driven by point guard play and Harmon just wasn’t consistent this year. So many people on here hyped him up as a possible one and done. The guy is definitely a four year college player. If he improves, I like OUs offense as far as scoring returning for next year. Find a grad transfer big that has experience and OU can compete for a big 12 title next year.

Harmon likely isn't even going to play point guard next year. JB returns as a two year starter. He isn't going to get my vote, but Lon seems to love JB.

Harmon likely isn't even going to play point guard next year. JB returns as a two year starter. He isn't going to get my vote, but Lon seems to love JB.

Yeah, Harmon needs to be the starting pg. That is what he is, a pass first pg. Asking him to play off the ball is stunting his growth.

JB should find the bench until he is capable of scoring the ball enough to start at the 2. Honestly, I'd prefer we just have somebody beat him out, and he can come off the bench and play the 1 or 2 spots.

We probably need another big next year, but I'm equally worried we're a good guard short as well.

Yeah, Harmon needs to be the starting pg. That is what he is, a pass first pg. Asking him to play off the ball is stunting his growth.

JB should find the bench until he is capable of scoring the ball enough to start at the 2. Honestly, I'd prefer we just have somebody beat him out, and he can come off the bench and play the 1 or 2 spots.

We probably need another big next year, but I'm equally worried we're a good guard short as well.

I agree with you, WT! Harmon came to OU as a point guard. Period! He’s playing out of position at the two with JB running our offense.

If Jamal wants to start next season, I think he needs to go all Buddy Hield this summer and shoot 500 threes every day until making shots from the perimeter is automatic. He’s a good defender, and he would be an adequate backup at the point off of the bench, he’s just too limited on offense to be a starter.

As for the idea that he might be one and done. Someone might have made that observation in the preseason, but it was not a consensus of opinion by any means.

JMO but OU needs to find another 6'8 ish player ready to play. Easier said than done, but they should be trying relentlessly.

For now, I'll say OU will be worse next season. Reaves will have the ultimate green light. That scares me.

Oops. Give AR the green light next year. I can be dumb, at times. Okay, most of the time.

I don't know but having seen multiple practices, I suspect the staff was pushing AR to be very aggressive for a big part of the season trying to get practice AR to be game AR. So I think when his judgement and court/shot sense was questioned by posters it could have partly been due to coach's instructions. We still need a inside/interior player to deserve starters minutes next season. Until Lon gets that guy, the program is in purgatory.

Oops. Give AR the green light next year. I can be dumb, at times. Okay, most of the time.

I understand...he had an unbelievable game.... but he’s also had some real turds.

That’s what ya get with him...

Back