A look at the box score (UTSA game)

I'm pleased to Reaves getting some praise, but it's interesting: The general perception seems to be that we saw a whole new Austin, but I don't see it.

Here are his stats from last season, followed by his stats from last night.

Last season
33 minutes
15 points
5 rebounds
4 assists
1 steal
2.5 turnovers
FG 38%
FT 84%
3PT 26%

Last night
21 minutes
8 points
8 rebounds
4 assists
2 steals
1 turnovers
FG 40%
FT 67%
3PT 0-1

There's not a huge difference there.

Really? Looks like a huge difference to me

Really? Looks like a huge difference to me

Hey, if you're happy, I'm happy. Like I said, I was pleased to see a positive response to his outing, and I hope he builds on it.

But I think the perceived one-game improvement is overstated. Or more accurately, I think the criticism he came in for last season was out of proportion to his performance on the court.

I'm pleased to Reaves getting some praise, but it's interesting: The general perception seems to be that we saw a whole new Austin, but I don't see it.

Here are his stats from last season, followed by his stats from last night.

Last season
33 minutes
15 points
5 rebounds
4 assists
1 steal
2.5 turnovers
FG 38%
FT 84%
3PT 26%

Last night
21 minutes
8 points
8 rebounds
4 assists
2 steals
1 turnovers
FG 40%
FT 67%
3PT 0-1

There's not a huge difference there. I'll be (very pleasantly) surprised if Reaves manages to maintain over the course of a season the level of rebounding he achieved last night, and that's the only area in which his outing last night was significantly better than last season. He shot about the same and didn't have that that many fewer attempts, considering he played just 21 minutes. Last night, he averaged a shot every 4.2 minutes; last season, it was once every 2.9 minutes.

He had just one turnover, which was very nice to see, though there's no telling how many he'd have had if he'd played 33 minutes, his average from last season. Hopefully, he'll continue to keep his TOs to a minimum.

Overall, I thought the team played very well, especially considering the covid-related disruptions they've had to deal with. I loved the defense, especially in the first half, when it was stifling at times. A little bit of a fall-off in the second half wasn't surprising, given the score.

It was fun to see Phipps showing his stuff in his very first game. He's going to be fun to watch. And Hill's various contributions were a real highlight. Manek obviously won't repeat that performance every game, but man, was it a treat to see him sink so many threes. And Harmon really shone, too. He started out hot last season, and fell off a bit. I hope to see him continue to play as well as he did last night as the season progresses.

All in all, a terrific win (even considering the competition) and I'm crossing my fingers we can get out of Ft. Worth with another one.

pretty tough to compare stats for 1 game to a season

The biggest difference I saw was only 1 three attempt. It’s no secret he wasn’t good at it last year and it was nice to see him not take another 5 and instead do what he does well.

Let's compare this opening game against UTSA with last year's opening game against UTSA to see the difference in Reaves's game.

Last year on 11/5 against UTSA, Reaves was 9-20 overall and 1-8 from three. He had 6 rebounds, 3 assists and 2 turnovers.
In this year's game he was 2-5 overall and 0-1 from three with 8 rebounds, 4 assists and 1 turnover.

You can see that he was obviously trying to get his teammates involved this year and wasn't forcing shots. I hope it continues.

I was very pleased watching the game in the LNC.
Harmon played great. He is shooting the 3 much smoother than last year. Hopefully it will result in a better percentage this year. He also finished well but UTSA isn’t the Big 12 in finishing so we will see.
Reaves handled the point decently but he held the ball more than I would like. Late in first half the ball movement was much less than earlier in the game.

Mo didn’t have many minutes because of fouls and giving Trey big minutes. I assume some were because essentially no preseason and he was shooting well.

Rick could have used some easy playing time which he needs.

I here Vic was showing big improvement in practice prior to COVID. We need it.

Manek was fabulous. He shoots it so easily.

Jalen was really good the other night. He really gets after it on the boards and defended great. He is also very unselfish offensively.

Alondes had his moments both good and bad. The ability is there.

The big difference with reaves is that he played the point all 21 min he was in the game

Back