anyone else notice Warren not pass to Gallon on fast break

Soonerpreach

Reaction score
Can't remember which part of the game, maybe early second half, but Warren had the ball on a 2 on 2 fast break with Gallon calling for an oop on the near side of the court. The defenders were both guarding Warren and the play looked like an easy oop and slam. Warren elects to keep the ball and dribbles into the double team and the play ends in a miss.
Gallon was noticebly frustrated returning back down the court.
Not sure if I'm reading too much into it, but made me think Warren had one of those "agendas" coach was talking about.
I hope I'm wrong on this, just wondered if anyone else noticed.

By the way, as much as I would like to quit watching this team to save myself the pain, the true fan in me won't let me. But the pain is increasing with each game, that's for sure.

I didn't get to see the game but I know the play you are talking about because Houck made a comment about it on the radio as to why he didn't give it up to Tiny.

So if Houck can see it and the original poster can see it and I saw it (but I am willing to give WW the benefit of the doubt that he just didn't see Tiny - but he should have even if he didn't), why didn't Capel see it and send WW's substitute to the table? Isn't that what most coaches do? Do it my way or sit (that is what coaches do, correct)?

Yes, I saw it and it was an easy pass and it was actually called a charge on Willie. Tiny looked frustrated as he was walking back down the court. Like he knew Willie at that time was playing for himself and not playing to make the right play. Then the camera panned to Coach Capel and Capel told one of his assistants, "pass the ball". But not with a frustrated look but with a look of something he has come to expect from Willie. That play was very telling for me from Tiny's reaction and Coach's reaction.

that particular play was one of three plays where Warren took the ball into the defender instead of passing off to a wide open teammate for an easy layup or dunk.

I have noticed Willie Warren picking and choosing who he will and will not pass to all season long. Thats one of the biggest reasons he's had so many turnovers. He drives the lane, gets stopped, jumps in the air and tries to decide who he wants to pass to and who he doesnt. Many times he ends up throwing it to the other team, or just throwing up an off-balance shot instead of passing to the open man.

This is one of the "Agendas" that Capel may be talking about, IMO.

By the way, as much as I would like to quit watching this team to save myself the pain, the true fan in me won't let me. But the pain is increasing with each game, that's for sure.

The pain is decreasing for me b/c I am used to it and don't expect much at this point. Doesn't mean I ain't rootin for them but I know for sure now that we are not a good team.

I think lack of confidence in some of their teammates has really hurt Willie and to some degree TMG this season. It's clear to me that neither of them feel good about feeding the ball to Tiny in most situations.

I believe that this situation has a lot to do with Willie's performance and inconsistent participation this season.

I can pretty much tell when Willie gets the ball whether he's going to shoot or pass. I wasn't surprised there.

If Capel thinks guys have agendas over the team, he needs to stop crying about it and bench them. I would go to the end of the bench and walkons from The Huff before I would let guys not be team players with their own agenda and see court time. I didn't understand that statement at all. That points all fingers back at Capel....deal with it. He was complaining about the team being weak (I agree) but he is weak for allowing agendas on the floor.

Gallon was noticebly frustrated returning back down the court.
Not sure if I'm reading too much into it, but made me think Warren had one of those "agendas" coach was talking about.
I hope I'm wrong on this, just wondered if anyone else noticed.

I didn't notice that. I did notice, however, during the end of the game when OU went on their run that Warren made a nice dish by lobbing it to Gallon who laid the ball of the backboard near the right block. Since that occurred, I think you may be reading too much into the previous play. Warren may not have seen him, or didn't want to risk the turnover.

If Capel thinks guys have agendas over the team, he needs to stop crying about it and bench them. I would go to the end of the bench and walkons from The Huff before I would let guys not be team players with their own agenda and see court time. I didn't understand that statement at all. That points all fingers back at Capel....deal with it. He was complaining about the team being weak (I agree) but he is weak for allowing agendas on the floor.

Depending on how many guys have agendas, that might not leave us enough scholarship players to field a team.

Just sayin'.

He has to play them he hasn't developed enough depth to bench them. He can't pull Willie for Pledger, he is in the off the court dog house. He can't pull him for Willis because he has sucked any confidence Willis ever had with the OSU comments. He refuses to play 2 Post players at the say time for some reason so we can't play Crock, TMG, Davis, Wright and Tiny at the same time.

This team is imploding and I am starting to think it is possible we might see big changes in the program if we don't make the NIT

I can pretty much tell when Willie gets the ball whether he's going to shoot or pass. I wasn't surprised there.

can you also tell when OU is going to run the ball or otherwise predict the play in football?

I have run into an abnormally high percentage of people on the internet that can do that with football.

can you also tell when OU is going to run the ball or otherwise predict the play in football?

I have run into an abnormally high percentage of people on the internet that can do that with football.

Not generally.

Not to defend WW because he obviously is one of the agenda guys that Capel is talking about, but from a pure basketball perspective, I would be reserved about giving it to Gallon on the break. Depends on where gallon was on the court.

I also noticed at one time in the 2nd half, Tiny got the rebound and WW was a 5-6 feet from him (wide open) waiting for the outlet pass. TMG was on the other side of the floor and had 1-2 guys standing by him. Tiny was looking right at WW and WW was calling for the ball. Tiny then waited for TMG to clear the two defenders and passed him the ball. This was right after WW had taken about 3 shots on 3 consectutive trips down the floor.

I think lack of confidence in some of their teammates has really hurt Willie and to some degree TMG this season. It's clear to me that neither of them feel good about feeding the ball to Tiny in most situations.

I believe that this situation has a lot to do with Willie's performance and inconsistent participation this season.
I can't believe I'm quoting myself, but I want to add that I would share their lack of confidence in feeding Mr Gallon in many, if not most, situations.

Seriously, outside of giving him a pass that leads him directly to the basket after he has successfully sealed his defender to allow the pass (less than 10% of the time), when would you feel good about Tiny receiving the ball to score? (please don't say alley-oop)

Tiny probably has the best hands of any big man on the team. Probably better than some guards too. You can say a lot of things about Tiny this year, but I disagree with this one.

Tiny probably has the best hands of any big man on the team. Probably better than some guards too. You can say a lot of things about Tiny this year, but I disagree with this one.
I'm not talking about being able to catch it, I'm talking about being able to do something productive with it after he catches it.

Back