Article on Nino Jackson

Nino Jackson doesn't like Carl Henry. The biggest advocate for KU in the state of Oklahoma is going to be Darnell Jackson a guy who's still very close to Gary Vick and a guy who is very active with the youth in Oklahoma and more specifically inner city OKC.

Nonsense. It's all Carl Henry's fault. He's the only reason any kid leaves the state. Where you been DM?

Nonsense. It's all Carl Henry's fault. He's the only reason any kid leaves the state. Where you been DM?

So are you saying, with your oh-so-subtle sarcasm, that local fans have no reason at all to resent Carl Henry?

If there were an AAU coach in, say, Kansas City who clearly tried to steer kids away from KU and toward, for example, Kentucky, would you have a problem with that? Especially if there was a UK fan who hung out on the KU boards who quickly jumped in to pooh-pooh any notion that the coach who was talking down KU and steering kids to UK was having any effect at all, that the kids just naturally went to UK because it was the greatest program in college basketball?

Might any of that make you feel a bit resentful and annoyed?

So are you saying, with your oh-so-subtle sarcasm, that local fans have no reason at all to resent Carl Henry?

Absolutely not. Resent Carl Henry all you want. He's a gawk.
But Carl Henry, or any AAU coach for that matter, has any obligation to steer kids anywhere. AAU was formed to give kids national exposure.
I bet Carl Henry and Athlete's First have had more kids go to OU than any other college. Is that not a fact?

Campbest said it best. Start your own AAU team and rope in the talent if people don't like how Athlete's First is run. From what I can tell/been told it's a class organization that's put out a bunch of great young men and athlete's.
Like Blake Griffin and Sam Bradford. They turned out alright.

Carl Henry wasn't the coach of Griffin and Bradford

Carl Henry wasn't the coach of Griffin and Bradford

I never said he did. I brought them up in talking about what a great reputation the Athlete's First organization seemingly has in the AAU circles.

You bring up an interesting question though that I don't know the answer too.
What years has Carl Henry coached Athletes First?

Name me a reason a top notch Oklahoma athlete should stay in state and play at OU right now?

other than just wanting to stay close to home or growing up an OU fan i dont think there is one....

I'm not talking about the players that are choosing from OU, Nebraska, Texas Tech etc...

I'm talking about the players that are getting offers from Duke, Kentucky and Kansas...

Lets get real people...

These kids dont realize you can go to the league from anywhere, most of us have either been there or seen it happen so much we know it is about talent and someone will find you...(although the success rate and amount of players going to the NBA from those schools demolishes OU's record of success)

kids see their best opportunity by going to the best place you can win (by win i mean chances at championships) and be seen...unfortunately that isnt OU and except for a few years here and there probably wont ever be...

Doesnt hurt that at places like Kentucky, Duke and Kansas you are treated like Gods and live a life for 4 or less years that most of us would kill for...

Last edited:
I never said he did. I brought them up in talking about what a great reputation the Athlete's First organization seemingly has in the AAU circles.

You bring up an interesting question though that I don't know the answer too.
What years has Carl Henry coached Athletes First?

Carl has only been with AF on Xavier's year and this year. I don't know what you're getting at? He's had no relationship with Jackson, Giddens, Case, or any of the recruits that KU has tried to get. I was in the gym when Roy Williams first saw Giddens, and he was the first coach to have interest in him. EdmondSooner stated it earlier that when a kid is recruited by KU, and they live in Oklahoma, their has to be some interest. Same reason a football player in Texas or Kansas has to have interest in OU.

Please quit playing the anti Kansas card. Any thread remotely related to KU always turns into some KU victimization thread because of you.

Carl has only been with AF on Xavier's year and this year. I don't know what you're getting at?

I'm getting at the ridiculous comments about Carl Henry directing kids to KU and other places as opposed to OU and OSU because of some vendetta.
He's sent exactly one kid to KU...his son. And that's AFTER Calipari left Memphis. People want to act like Carl Henry is telling kids not to go to OU when like Edmond said it's probably more the state of the program. I guess it's easier to blame Carl though huh?

He's had no relationship with Jackson, Giddens, Case, or any of the recruits that KU has tried to get. I was in the gym when Roy Williams first saw Giddens, and he was the first coach to have interest in him
I totally agree. Roy beat the instate schools to the punch on Giddens. And Self with Darnell Jackson. Don't ask me why KU was recruiting those kids harder than the instate schools. It wasn't Carl Henry's fault though.

EdmondSooner stated it earlier that when a kid is recruited by KU, and they live in Oklahoma, their has to be some interest. Same reason a football player in Texas or Kansas has to have interest in OU.
Once again, I agree. That's why I don't get the pulling the "it's Carl Henry's fault" card.

Please quit playing the anti Kansas card.
:facepalm It's the let's blame Carl Henry for instate recruits not wanting to go to OU card that is crazy. You've told us how Nino Jackson doesn't even like Carl Henry.
So why do we have 3-4 posters blaming Carl Henry for steering kids away from OU?

But even if he was, like Edmond said, could you blame him? If a kid has KU and other elite programs and OU looking at him and I'm his AAU coach and trying to help him I'd be looking long and hard at the problems OU is under right now. It's just a reality of the situation.

if you don't think Carl Henry has a vendetta against OU and would try to steer top recruits away from OU and to KU then you have your head firmly up Carl's A$$, congrats on enjoying the smell

if you don't think Carl Henry has a vendetta against OU and would try to steer top recruits away from OU and to KU then you have your head firmly up Carl's A$$, congrats on enjoying the smell

I don't know Carl. Neither do you. I'd hope he has the kids interests at heart.
Who exactly has he steered to KU? Heck, he didn't even steer his two sons, Xavier & CJ, to KU so that makes no sense.

I don't know Carl. Neither do you. I'd hope he has the kids interests at heart.
Who exactly has he steered to KU? Heck, he didn't even steer his two sons, Xavier & CJ, to KU so that makes no sense.

It's obvious that Henry isn't steering kids toward KU but I think it's also obvious that he isn't steering kids toward OU or OSU either. And there is definitely enough smoke around Henry to believe he isn't doing OU or OSU any favors in the way he talks about their programs.

Every person on this board would love to have a guy running AF that would be talking up OU and steering kids that direction. I'd question their fandom if they didn't feel that way.

It's obvious that Henry isn't steering kids toward KU but I think it's also obvious that he isn't steering kids toward OU or OSU either. And there is definitely enough smoke around Henry to believe he isn't doing OU or OSU any favors in the way he talks about their programs.

Every person on this board would love to have a guy running AF that would be talking up OU and steering kids that direction. I'd question their fandom if they didn't feel that way.

It's also a little overrated as well. Terry Evans was coach at AF and OU offered 6 of the players that AF had while he was coach and prior to him being an assistant under Kelvin. OU got only 2, one guy who was a legacy and the other was probably the lowest ranked of the offers outside of Julius Lamptey. When Tommie Griffin was the coach at AF, you would figure his son's would go to OSU due to the fact that most of theD1 kids that Griffin coached ended up at OSU on either a football or basketball scholarship. Didn't happen that way. OSU offered 4 of high major players with AF and only got 1. Griffin coached JR Giddens as well hand he never considered OSU. Coaches have less to do with sending a player to certain schools unless it pertains to a personal job for that coach.

It's also a little overrated as well. Terry Evans was coach at AF and OU offered 6 of the players that AF had while he was coach and prior to him being an assistant under Kelvin. OU got only 2, one guy who was a legacy and the other was probably the lowest ranked of the offers outside of Julius Lamptey. When Tommie Griffin was the coach at AF, you would figure his son's would go to OSU due to the fact that most of theD1 kids that Griffin coached ended up at OSU on either a football or basketball scholarship. Didn't happen that way. OSU offered 4 of high major players with AF and only got 1. Griffin coached JR Giddens as well hand he never considered OSU. Coaches have less to do with sending a player to certain schools unless it pertains to a personal job for that coach.

Exactly. Well said.
I just find it hilarious someone would suggest Carl Henry pushes kids to KU.
He didn't even push his own kids there and he hasn't pushed a single other kid to KU.

Back