Baylor at Arkansas

Sooner23

Reaction score
Tonight at 8 central on ESPN2. Should be interesting.

Is Arkansas at full strength now? They've won five in a row, albeit against cupcakes. Looking at the box score, Fortson didn't play in the last game but I had thought he was back. Guess not.

And Glenn Bryant, who I have no idea why we didn't try to get last spring, is really coming on and had five points, two blocks and 11 boards in their last game.

Baylor up 15-7 early. Washington and Fortson not playing for Arkansas.

Baylor is much better than I thought.

As we know this isn't a very good Arkansas team, but they went on the road kinda (game was in Little Rock, not Fayetteville) and are up 22 on the Hogs with two mintues left.

That 1-3-1 zone with all that length and athleticism they have is very, very tough. And Udoh had 15 boards and eight blocks tonight.:eek:

I really am afraid this will be the year they break the streak.

Bears are looking good. They are dominating Arkansas with their size and athleticism and shut down Clarke by putting a 6-10 guy on him.

Congrats to the Bears.

I wonder how many folks (butts in the seats) were at the Bud?

Wish we would have gotten Udoh!

Both Kelvin and Jeff had a chance to get him. I fault Kevin more than Jeff because he chose a guy that was a qualifying risk and turned out to be less talented in Mayfield. I heard during the recruitment of Muenelo that Kelvin did an inhome and left immediately because he saw a Sutton poster on Muenelo's wall. I don't know how true that was or if it effected the recruitment of Muenelo's best friend. Also, that was the same time OU signed Keith Clark and Kelvin was getting investigated for his recruitment of guys that were apart of AF.

Congrats to the Bears.

I wonder how many folks (butts in the seats) were at the Bud?

Game was played in Little Rock. Oddly enough the game was considered a home game for Baylor which hurts the Bears in the RPI calculation. The NCAA does some screwy stuff. Announced attendance was 11k but probably around 10k. Some of the upper level was tarped off.

Quincy Acy and Anthony Jones are the keys for the Bears. Both are talented and playing well on def and off. There is a level of consistency to expect from Carter, Dunn and Udoh. If Jones and Acy keep up their level of play I think the Bears are a tourney team.

Last edited:
For the first time in Drew's tenure the Bears are actually playing defense. They are definitely a NCAA Tourney team barring a slew of injuries.

Udoh will be gone to the NBA after this season. Some of you may laugh or argue with this, but come June this will be the case. Also, the main reason that Udoh chose Baylor over OU is that Ryan Wright was sitting out his transfer year at the time his decision was being made. Looked like alot of bodies, and his handlers obviously thought Wright would turn out to be more productive than he has. Can't really blame him for the decision, as once you transfer you are pretty much locked in and need to go where you know you are going to play alot. Udoh also played AAU for a Dallas area team coached by Mitch Malone after his senior HS season (and not A1), and there was a big push by Malone to get him to BU when he left Michigan.

For the first time in Drew's tenure the Bears are actually playing defense. They are definitely a NCAA Tourney team barring a slew of injuries.

Udoh will be gone to the NBA after this season. Some of you may laugh or argue with this, but come June this will be the case. Also, the main reason that Udoh chose Baylor over OU is that Ryan Wright was sitting out his transfer year at the time his decision was being made. Looked like alot of bodies, and his handlers obviously thought Wright would turn out to be more productive than he has. Can't really blame him for the decision, as once you transfer you are pretty much locked in and need to go where you know you are going to play alot. Udoh also played AAU for a Dallas area team coached by Mitch Malone after his senior HS season (and not A1), and there was a big push by Malone to get him to BU when he left Michigan.

not to beat a dead horse but Drew has been unfairly criticized in the past for not being a good coach. His teams appeared to be soft (they were) and didn't play solid defense. As someone who attended multiple Baylor practices, this was never due to a lack of emphasis and coaching. Baylor had to get the best possible players to recover from the disaster that Bliss left. Most of those players happened to be smurf guards that could score but were not genetically wired to be great defenders due to their size and strength (Bruce, Dugat, Jerrells).

Drew realized this and tried desperately to convince athletic bigs and longer guards to come to Waco. He mostly struck out: Palacios (Louisville); Weems (Arkansas); Arthur (Kansas); Griffin (OU); James (UT), Davis (A&M), etc... He did sign Rogers which was a quality big but always had the reputation for being a finesse guy and that never changed in college despite the staff's efforts to change it.

Lately, Drew has been winning some of those recruiting battles and convincing long athletic guys to play at Baylor- Acy, Anthony Jones, Udoh and Cory Jefferson (who Drew now has the luxury of making him wait his turn). That kind of length suddenly makes a coach look like he knows what he is doing on the defensive end/rebounding. But in reality, Drew has known what needs to be done all along. It just takes time to build a program and get the right personnel in place.

I do agree that Udoh will go pro. He's projected a mid first round pick next year in mock drafts and he will graduate in May. It is possible that Udoh has a disappointing big 12 season offensively and his NBA draft stock falls. I think he is a solid offensive player but not great against better competition. He's a difference maker on defense, rebounding and just overall basketball IQ.

If Udoh stays, Baylor has the potential to be ranked in the top 10 next year with a nucleus of Udoh, Dunn, Acy, Jones, Dennis, Walton, Jefferson and Perry Jones/Stargell Love coming in. They may also land the kid from Marquette (Jeronne Maymon) who transferred out and will be available 2nd semester next year. He's a Singletary (Tech) type and I think that is a piece that is missing from Baylor's team. He had chosen Marquette over Baylor and is deciding between Iowa St, Tennessee and Baylor to transfer.

Glad to see that Baylor is turning the program around. Scott Drew has done an outstanding job there, persuading great players to come after what happened. I'm a Sooner first, but there's a Bear in me, too. Sic 'Em!

Arkansas was missing Sanchez, Fortson and Washington. They have issues. Baylor is solid, but any decent team should have beaten that collection of players that Arkansas threw out yesterday. They have no depth and no experience. They are a total mess.

I was excited after our win over them, but now I think Arkansas just sucks.

Arkansas was missing Sanchez, Fortson and Washington. They have issues. Baylor is solid, but any decent team should have beaten that collection of players that Arkansas threw out yesterday. They have no depth and no experience. They are a total mess.

I was excited after our win over them, but now I think Arkansas just sucks.

I agree. Arkansas is a mess. Without Fortson, they have no one that can penetrate on a regular basis and set up players for easy looks. Washington did play in the game. He just didn't play much and picked up 3 quick fouls. He is having back spasms. They are a cursed team this year. I bet they will be looking for a new coach at the end of the year.

Baylor has a bigger challenge at South Carolina Saturday against a middle of the pack SEC team. Should be an interesting match-up between Udoh and Sam Muldrow. Both are top 10 in the nation in blocked shots. Muldrow blocked 8 against Boston College last night.

Back