Big 12 conference rankings- Sagarin

Reaction score
I continue to see posts about the "strength" of the Big 12 and where the conference ranks overall in college hoops.

Here is a list of Sagarin's rankings for as far back as I can find.

'98 7th
'99 5th
‘00 5th
‘01 5th
‘02 5th
‘03 1st
‘04 3rd
‘05 3rd
‘06 7th
‘07 2nd
‘08 2nd
‘09 2nd
‘10 1st
‘11 3rd
‘12 2nd
‘13 3rd
‘14 2nd
‘15 1st
‘16 1st
‘17 1st
‘18 1st
‘19 1st
'20- 3rd

Is Sagarin's ranking system perfect? Of course not, but no ranking system is perfect, in particular people's own biased memories.

Last edited:
Seems the argument has been whether the conference is the best this year or not.

The Big 10 is clearly the best conference from top to bottom. If the Big 12 wins 1 or 2 more games than the Big East in the NCAA tourney (and NIT) then the Big 12 will be the #2 conference overall this year. Big 12 is much closer to #2 (Big East) than #4 (ACC) is to the Big 12 in the rankings.

Seems the argument has been whether the conference is the best this year or not.

Yep. It slips to third in these rankings, and there are still folks calling it the best.

If the league got worse, and we only improved 2 wins, I'm not sure we really improved at all.

In the conf rpi rankings. The big east is 1st the big 12 second. Closer to 1 then 3. The big 10 is 4th

Yep. It slips to third in these rankings, and there are still folks calling it the best.

If the league got worse, and we only improved 2 wins, I'm not sure we really improved at all.

And OU's projected record if they had played in the 5th-7th best conference overall?

Easy to speculate that means at the minimum 2-4 more conference wins.

The Big 10 is clearly the best conference from top to bottom. If the Big 12 wins 1 or 2 more games than the Big East in the NCAA tourney (and NIT) then the Big 12 will be the #2 conference overall this year. Big 12 is much closer to #2 (Big East) than #4 (ACC) is to the Big 12 in the rankings.

Anything is possible, but conferences should be ranked because of the play found within all conference members as opposed to a select few. Not really sure the tournament changes much because the B12 has done rather poorly in the tournament yet they are rated #1 for a series of years when utilizing the ranking source you provided.

Anything is possible, but conferences should be ranked because of the play found within all conference members as opposed to a select few. Not really sure the tournament changes much because the B12 has done rather poorly in the tournament yet they are rated #1 for a series of years when utilizing the ranking source you provided.

I'm not going to look them all up, but last year the Big 12 went 8-6 in the tourney and the year before that the conference went 12-7.

And the conference had a Final Four team each year.

I'm not going to look them all up, but last year the Big 12 went 8-6 in the tourney and the year before that the conference went 12-7.

And the conference had a Final Four team each year.

Since the conference was formed the record is 177-130. KU has the best record of 54-22. Now this reflects all years and not just the past 5 or so.

Since the conference was formed the record is 177-130. KU has the best record of 54-22. Now this reflects all years and not just the past 5 or so.

About where I expected it. Good but not great.

You are too anti-Big 12 biased to actually be talked to rationally. Which is sad, since this is an argument that has no meaning in any scope of things.

Anti-Big 12?

:ez-roll::ez-roll::ez-roll::ez-roll::ez-roll:

All these ratings systems are flawed. The fact is, the big12 has 2 very good teams and 5-6 average teams, then a few crap teams.

All these ratings systems are flawed. The fact is, the big12 has 2 very good teams and 5-6 average teams, then a few crap teams.

Those “crap teams” didn’t look like crap teams until they started playing Big 12 teams.

Though I’m probably talking above the average OU fan’s cognitive ability....

Back