Big 12 Newcomer Team vs. Big 12 Freshman Team

thebigabd

Reaction score
Who wins in a Newcomer vs. Freshman team in the Big 12 this year. Seems to be a GREAT deal of talent coming into the Big 12.

Just a chance to get to know some of the players that will be around for the next 2-3 years... Looks like the freshman are better than the newcomers this year, lol.

Big 12 Newcomer Team

PG: Lance Jeter (6'3'' 225- Nebraska)-As a sophomore, Jeter averaged 15.9 points, 5.7 rebounds, 4.6 assists and 2.0 steals per game. He was also the Florida Community College Activities Association (FCCAA) Player of the Year. Recently had his jersey retired after being two-time first-team all-state player who scored more than 2,200 career points. Was named the Pittsburgh-Post Athlete of the Year in high school.

SG: David Tairu (6'3'' 190- Tech)
-Led the 2008-2009 squad with 17.5 ppg and a 27-4 season...named to the National Junior College third-team All-American squad...voted the Most Valuable Player in the Western Junior College Athletic Conference and also named to the Region 5 team...selected to the 2009 NJCAA Men's All-Star team. Shot 46% from the three point line as a sophomore.

SF: Marquis Gilstrap (6'7'' 215- Iowa State)
-Averaged 22.6 points and 10.1 rebounds as a sophomore...earned honorable mention All-America honors by the NJCAA...rated as the 26th-best player in the class of 2009 (high school and junior college players) by ESPN.com. shot 48.3 percent from the field (257-532), 40.9 percent from 3-point range (52-127) and 74.8 percent from the free-throw line (181-242)

PF: Marcus Relphorde (6'7'' 220- Colorado)-Averaged 10.6 points and 4.2 rebounds per game as a sophomore helping the Warriors finish with a 30-3 record • All-Region honorable mention • Shot .487 from the floor (45% from 3pt range) and .722 from the free throw line • Averaged 14 points and scored in double figures in 12 of the team's last 13 games. Juco team sent players to Marquette, Iowa State, St. Johns, Arkansas, and Middle Tennessee.

C: Ekpe Udoh (6'10'' 240- Baylor)
-A combo of Kevin Garnett and Tim Duncan per Baylor fans. Named to Big Ten All-Defensive Team • U-M's 2008 Wayman Britt Outstanding Defensive Player. Set the U-M sophomore season record with 92 blocks, which was also the second best single-season output by a Wolverine • Led the Big Ten in blocked shots (2.91)

VS.

Big 12 Freshman Team

PG: Tommy Mason-Griffin (5'11'' 206-Oklahoma)
-A McDonald's All-American point guard ... Also played in 2009 Jordan Brand Classic ... Named 2009 Gatorade Texas High School Basketball Player of the Year ... Averaged 22.8 points, 5.3 assists, 4.4 rebounds and 3.7 steals per game as a senior for 19-9 James Madison High School ... Shot .451 (82-for-182) from 3-point range ... Career single-gamescoring high at Madison was 49 points (made 11 3-pointers)

SG: Avery Bradley (6'2'' 180-Texas)
-ESPNRISE.com High School National Player of the Year ... ranked as the No. 1 prospect nationally by ESPNU following his senior season ... McDonald's All-American and Jordan All-American ... first-team All-American by Parade Magazine ... won the slam dunk contest at the McDonald's All-American Game... led Findlay to a 33-0 record and the mythical high school national championship ... averaged 19.1 points, 4.6 rebounds, 2.9 assists and 2.9 steals per game as a senior ... converted 54 percent of his field goal attempts (258-of-477), 76.1 percent from the free throw line (83-of-109) and 38.3 percent from the three-point line (31-of-81)..

SF: Xavier Henry (6'6'' 220-Kansas)
-McDonald's and Parade All-American in 2009... Led Putnam City High School in Oklahoma City to the 6A state championship in 2009, averaging 28.3 points, 6.7 rebounds, 2.7 steals and 2.1 assists per game... Shot 55 percent from the field, including 43 percent from three-point range... Was the 2008 and 2009 Gatorade Player of the Year for Oklahoma. Scored 14 points with five rebounds, two assists and two steals in the McDonald's All-American game on April 1, 2009.

PF: Wally Judge (6'9'' 248-Kansas State)
-Regarded as one of the top power forwards in the country, including the No. 15 overall prospect on the ESPNU100 by ESPN Scouts, Inc. and No. 18 in the Rivals150 by Rivals.com. ...Became the fourth Wildcat (including the second in the last three seasons) to be named a McDonald's All-American. Chosen a Jordan Brand All-American and was invited to play in the Jordan Brand Classic on April 19, where he posted a team-high 18 points and seven rebounds for the White team. Averaged 18.5 points on 64.5 percent shooting (209-of-324) with 17.1 rebounds and 2.9 assists per game as a senior.

C: Tiny Gallon (6'9'' 290-Oklahoma)
-Ranked No. 9 nationally (No. 2 center) by Rivals.com and No. 11 (No. 3 center) by ESPN.com and Scout.com ... Led all scorers with 20 points in the McDonald's All-American Game and added seven boards in 21 minutes ... Also competed in the Jordan Brand Classic. Averaged 16.0 points, 10.3 rebounds and 2.4 assists per game as a senior while shooting .591 from the floor and .685 from the free throw line for national runner up Oak Hill Academy (40-1) ... Also shot .342 from 3-point range (27-for-79) ... Named team MVP ... Honored as 2009 Gatorade Virginia High School Basketball Player of the Year.

The first thing I noticed was the teams recruiting newcomers and the teams recruiting freshman.

Newcomers- Nebraska, Tech, Baylor, Colorado, and Iowa State
Freshman- Oklahoma, Texas, Kansas, and Kansas State

That shows who has to recruit junior college and who doesnt.

That is a no contest. The freshmen beat the newcomers in this instance 7 of every 10.

Xavier and Avery on the wings? That is sick. Then you've got uber athletic wally judge and immovable object Tiny Gallon in the back-court. Add TMG to distribute and pull up for a jumper every now and then. This would be a woodshed beating.

No Jai Lucas for newcomers? Still no contest... Frosh hands down.

"C: Tiny Gallon (6'9'' 290-Oklahoma) ... .685 from the free throw line"

Damn.

Frosh would run them out of the gym. Gallon would tell Udoh that he can't block a shot with my elbow in your ribs.

I disagree, I think it would be close. Frosh probably have a small advantage, but if they played 20 games, I'm guessing nobody wins more than 6 of them.

I disagree, I think it would be close. Frosh probably have a small advantage, but if they played 20 games, I'm guessing nobody wins more than 6 of them.

I think it would be close this year too... The newcomer team is pretty solid with a couple of stars in Gilstrap and Udoh. They are all also 20-21 years old and the newcomers are all 18. That makes a big difference.

Really I just wanted to post about the new guys coming into the Big 12. Its a great deal of talent, both from newcomers and freshman.

New math? Or a level?

Who wins the other 8 games? Ed Hightower?

And just because:

If you got to take 5 McD's all americans, including the top 2 players in the class, or 5 jucos and transfers, who do you choose? This is a no contest, a talent mis-match.

Freshman win.

Oh, and man what mis-matches at the 2 and 4 positions. Wally Judge against Marcus Relphorde? Please. Avery Bradley will win in this match-up 7 days a week.

Last edited:
if you substituted KSU's Curtis Kelly (UConn transfer) for Relphorde and UT's Jai Lucas (Florida transfer) for Jeter and I would take the newcomers.

Experience and physical maturity matter. That same group of high school all-stars (plus John Wall, Demarcus Cousins...) got beat by a team of European all-stars in the Nike Global Challenge.

I am the first person to defend recruiting rankings as important and that talent trumps coaching most of the time... But not of all those guys are ready to be stars their freshmen year- especially the forwards/centers. I agree that this series would go 5-5 or 6-4 but I give the nod to experience/maturity/strength over pure athleticism.

The almighty frosh would wipe the floor with the newcomers. BOOMER SOONER BABY!!!:tinypower

Newcomers would win with the mighty Tim Garnett leading the way... or is it Kevin Duncan. :confused:

Jai Lucas in his 3rd year of college > a true freshman TMG

Epke Udoh in his 4th year of college > a true freshman Tiny Gallon

Curtis Kelly in his 3rd year > Wally Judge as a true freshman

Very talented upperclassmen are rarely outplayed by freshman, especially upperclassmen with multiple years of experience in the Big East, Big Ten and SEC.

Back