Board Observations From Afar

that's because most of you are misstating the complaint to make your point.

I dont care about complaining merely about PT.

There's a difference in saying Jordan Thomas should be playing less and saying he doesn't belong on this team or in D1 ball.

Most people are questioning about the minutes he gets but you keep bringing up the 1 or 2 posts about him being on scholarship.

1 or 2 posts? no. There have been a few game threads where a couple of guys keep saying he doesn't belong on this team or even in D1 ball. That has always been the source of my complaint. Thats completely wrong to say on a board where recruits and family and team members frequent.

1 or 2 posts? no. There have been a few game threads where a couple of guys keep saying he doesn't belong on this team or even in D1 ball. That has always been the source of my complaint. Thats completely wrong to say on a board where recruits and family and team members frequent.

I researched and only found 2 posts saying he shouldn't be on the team and I defended against one of the posts. But he shouldn't have more minutes than shepherd(if any) unless something is wrong with one of the players.

I researched and only found 2 posts saying he shouldn't be on the team and I defended against one of the posts. But he shouldn't have more minutes than shepherd(if any) unless something is wrong with one of the players.

But you refuse to consider the possibility that there was a logical reason, in this particular game, that he got 4 more minutes PT than Shepherd.

But you refuse to consider the possibility that there was a logical reason, in this particular game, that he got 4 more minutes PT than Shepherd.

Then let's talk about the logical reason. That's what the message board is for. No need for the "YOU DON'T KNOW AS MUCH AS LON KRUGER YOU IMMORAL SINNER" responses. It makes this a far less enjoyable place to be.

(and I'm not calling you out specifically)

Then let's talk about the logical reason. That's what the message board is for. No need for the "YOU DON'T KNOW AS MUCH AS LON KRUGER YOU IMMORAL SINNER" responses. It makes this a far less enjoyable place to be.

(and I'm not calling you out specifically)

In another thread, someone else mentioned that Shepherd had 2 fouls, one turnover, and no points in his two minutes. I speculated that he might not have been 100% healthy.

This.

There have been complaints about Lazenby's minutes after virtually every game, this in a season that has seen us go from unranked (I don't think we were even receiving any votes) to 11-1 and #7 in the country, I have been baffled -- not angered, baffled -- by the focus on this very minor issue (if one even accepts that it is an issue) and so yesterday I finally asked why posters kept bringing it up. I insulted no one. I asked. And I offered some reasons why Coach Kruger might be playing Lazenby.

If Lazenby were starting or if he were getting double-digit minutes, I'd wonder why, too. But he's not. And in the games that really matter, he's getting almost no minutes.

He's averaging seven minutes per game on the season, but that number is inflated by his time playing in minor games. He played 2 minutes against WSU, four against USC, zero against Oregon and three against Arkansas. He played just six minutes at TCU, and even that number might have been inflated by Shepherd's health (some of us have wondered if Shep was banged up or sick) or just because Shep didn't play very well for the two minutes he was in there.

That's an average of three minutes for Lazenby in our big games (Northwestern excluded--more on that below).

By contrast, he played 10 minutes against Omaha, 14 against Ball State, 8 against North Texas, 10 against UTSA, 9 against Portland. That's where his minutes have added up.

(The anomaly in the above is the Northwestern game, in which, if my memory serves me correctly, his 12 minutes came mostly in garbage time. For that reason, I've included it with the lesser games.)

So of the 87 minutes he's played so far, 63 of them have been against lesser teams or in garbage time.

So yeah, I don't get why some posters keep asking (and often complaining) about Lazenby's minutes when he's averaging three minutes per in our key games. I don't think I was rude to anyone -- it certainly wasn't my intention to be -- but I stand by my questions.

Last edited:
With that, I've said all I'll say about Lazenby. Those who are bothered by him seeing the floor can, of course, keep commenting on it if they wish; me, i'm moving on. I've had my say.

In another thread, someone else mentioned that Shepherd had 2 fouls, one turnover, and no points in his two minutes. I speculated that he might not have been 100% healthy.

Yes, that was eventually brought up, and was a valid point. I'm still interested to know if Shepherd was sick or injured, which was what the original poster was asking about before a few posters turned discussion into a morality/ethics pissing match.

The Minutes snipe-fest touched enough of a nerve inside me that I feel like sharing my two cents. As I mentioned in that thread, I have been participating and contributing to OU basketball boards since around 2000. In that time I have managed to tune my sensors in as to who provides good, thoughtful info. When this board was created (in 2008, I think) it was supposed to be a refuge for good, intelligent talk about the Sooner basketball team.

But then Blake Griffin took off and we brought in everybody. That's a different topic for a different day.

What concerns me is I'm seeing reasonable posters, people who have been around forever, ridiculed for having an opinion that might stray a little from sunshine and lollipops. What really steamed my clams was seeing a guy I respect a ton, red recluse, called out for having the audacity to question the floor time allotted Lazenby.

Is that where we are now? First, let me admit that I don't post much. I read everything, but I don't post much. Life has changed considerably for me, but I still run my eyes over every single word that is posted on this forum. And let me tell you something....it's a little ugly in here. I'm tired of seeing opinions fried just because they are different.

I'm not going to trump my fandom, but I doubt there is a single soul walking this earth who cares as much about Sooner hoops as I do. And with that care comes the thirst for information. It angers me a great deal to lose people like ouleopard and garyeb2 to the snarky nature of this board. I don't want postman77 to ever wait a millisecond in sharing the insight he has gleaned. I'd hate for vbdad to hesitate before sharing a recruiting tidbit.

But this board is now bringing those guys pause. If someone as knowledgeable as red recluse tells us all to walk off a cliff then we are lesser for it because that's one well-informed perspective gone. And that's BS. I know, we're grown adults haggling over a game played by kids, but I care. I cared when I was little. I cared when I was their age, and I care now even though life prevents me from supporting the program as I once did.

I came of age during Kelvin, when practices were walled off like East Berlin. The openness of Kruger's camp never ceases to amaze me, but I still want more. I want insight that only those with personal relationships with the staff can share. End the sniping and quit jumping all over somebody who might dare share a differing opinion. I thought Lazenby played too much yesterday, and it worries me that Shepherd only saw two minutes. Doesn't mean I don't live and die with every shot.

Good luck, moderators.

Thank you for your time.

Would you like to take over ownership of this board? It's yours if you want it.

I agree with what you say but simply don't have the time and/or patience to deal with the moderating aspect of it any longer. Would love for you to have it and attempt to turn it around.

The only other alternative is shutting it down, as I haven't found anyone yet willing to take it over and I've been trying for a while (ask Ada). That and this post popping up after an 11-1 start to the season pretty much gives me the final nail-in-the-coffin sign for the board I've needed for after this season if no one steps up.

Edit: Hopefully this doesn't come across as snarky. That is not the intention. Just laying it out there and admitting I've neglected the board, and am hoping to find an alternative to keep it going and make it great again.

1. make an OU basketball facebook page
2. invite people to post on it
3. close this board
4. profit

Would you like to take over ownership of this board? It's yours if you want it.

I agree with what you say but simply don't have the time and/or patience to deal with the moderating aspect of it any longer. Would love for you to have it and attempt to turn it around.

The only other alternative is shutting it down, as I haven't found anyone yet willing to take it over and I've been trying for a while (ask Ada). That and this post popping up after an 11-1 start to the season pretty much gives me the final nail-in-the-coffin sign for the board I've needed for after this season if no one steps up.

Edit: Hopefully this doesn't come across as snarky. That is not the intention. Just laying it out there and admitting I've neglected the board, and am hoping to find an alternative to keep it going and make it great again.

OUHoops, my vote is to keep the board going. Yes, there are posters who attack anyone who has even a slightly negative opinion, and yes it annoys many. But there is also I believe tons of interest and the information put on here by some insiders is worth some of the annoyances. I just take it for what it is and try to ignore the annoying posters as if you think about it, it's just an anonymous message board. Don't get your feelings hurt. I wish some of those people with insider info would come back and just ignore the leeches. Use the ignore feature guys!

OUHoops, my vote is to keep the board going. Yes, there are posters who attack anyone who has even a slightly negative opinion, and yes it annoys many. But there is also I believe tons of interest and the information put on here by some insiders is worth some of the annoyances. I just take it for what it is and try to ignore the annoying posters as if you think about it, it's just an anonymous message board. Don't get your feelings hurt. I wish some of those people with insider info would come back and just ignore the leeches. Use the ignore feature guys!

This^^^^^

And I don't think Sooner04 was speaking specifically to the administration or the moderators; I think he was tired of other posters trying to control the content of the board.

I know I've posted some of my thoughts about players on here....some were over the top and were deleted. I can get a little too critical; but it's my thoughts at the time and sometimes I'm right.....:ez-laugh:

Please keep the board as it is...

I have posted negative comments on this board and more often on the women's board. the only time I got a mildly hostile response was Saturday on this board when I had commented that Trae had a few freshman moments during the TCU game. Another poster apparently felt I was denigrating Young's performance when I really wasn't. He was the sole reason we won but he had some hickups he usually doesn't have. Like mission on lobs and some bad turnovers. But otherwise he was magnificent and made a great in game adjustment to Big 12 play.

There does seem to be more glass half empty posters than glass half full. Or maybe the half empty people post a lot more. You only need to compare game threads and the number of posts on games mostly positive and those less positive. It appears that we may have a poster or two that intentionally stir up controversy. But if I were a moderator I doubt that I would have enough information to ban them.

In the age of the information highway many of us seem to lose the art of communication. Instead of stating points of view and supporting them with information we state opinions and too often get differing opinions and end up with each person just stating the same talking points over and over without any effort to understand the other person's point of view. And at times it leads to name calling.

Great board with some very knowledgeable basketball fans which is why I come here. Keep in mind that quickly typing some basic thoughts might be interpreted differently by different people and altogether different than the poster intended. Even if that is not the case, so what? Everyone has an opinion.

Also, some people get emotional in the game threads and that is just their personality. Let them be emotional. They are OU fans and love the team. They might say something you take as insulting to the team or even stupid but they are fans. I enjoy the back and forth. I want to hear from all OU fans.

This is a great forum!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great board with some very knowledgeable basketball fans which is why I come here. Keep in mind that quickly typing some basic thoughts might be interpreted differently by different people and altogether different than the poster intended. Even if that is not the case, so what? Everyone has an opinion.

Also, some people get emotional in the game threads and that is just their personality. Let them be emotional. They are OU fans and love the team. They might say something you take as insulting to the team or even stupid but they are fans. I enjoy the back and forth. I want to hear from all OU fans.

This is a great forum!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

People say some really dumb things in the game threads. If you have a low tolerance for that, stay away from them.

Please, please, please do not kill the board OUHoops. I love the forum and occasional spirited debate. Gives us OU basketball fans an outlet. Keep up the good work. Hope it gets better for you.

I said unless something is wrong with Shepherd: sick, hurt, discipline, etc.

Back