Board Observations From Afar

Sooner04

Reaction score
The Minutes snipe-fest touched enough of a nerve inside me that I feel like sharing my two cents. As I mentioned in that thread, I have been participating and contributing to OU basketball boards since around 2000. In that time I have managed to tune my sensors in as to who provides good, thoughtful info. When this board was created (in 2008, I think) it was supposed to be a refuge for good, intelligent talk about the Sooner basketball team.

But then Blake Griffin took off and we brought in everybody. That's a different topic for a different day.

What concerns me is I'm seeing reasonable posters, people who have been around forever, ridiculed for having an opinion that might stray a little from sunshine and lollipops. What really steamed my clams was seeing a guy I respect a ton, red recluse, called out for having the audacity to question the floor time allotted Lazenby.

Is that where we are now? First, let me admit that I don't post much. I read everything, but I don't post much. Life has changed considerably for me, but I still run my eyes over every single word that is posted on this forum. And let me tell you something....it's a little ugly in here. I'm tired of seeing opinions fried just because they are different.

I'm not going to trump my fandom, but I doubt there is a single soul walking this earth who cares as much about Sooner hoops as I do. And with that care comes the thirst for information. It angers me a great deal to lose people like ouleopard and garyeb2 to the snarky nature of this board. I don't want postman77 to ever wait a millisecond in sharing the insight he has gleaned. I'd hate for vbdad to hesitate before sharing a recruiting tidbit.

But this board is now bringing those guys pause. If someone as knowledgeable as red recluse tells us all to walk off a cliff then we are lesser for it because that's one well-informed perspective gone. And that's BS. I know, we're grown adults haggling over a game played by kids, but I care. I cared when I was little. I cared when I was their age, and I care now even though life prevents me from supporting the program as I once did.

I came of age during Kelvin, when practices were walled off like East Berlin. The openness of Kruger's camp never ceases to amaze me, but I still want more. I want insight that only those with personal relationships with the staff can share. End the sniping and quit jumping all over somebody who might dare share a differing opinion. I thought Lazenby played too much yesterday, and it worries me that Shepherd only saw two minutes. Doesn't mean I don't live and die with every shot.

Good luck, moderators.

Thank you for your time.

The Minutes snipe-fest touched enough of a nerve inside me that I feel like sharing my two cents. As I mentioned in that thread, I have been participating and contributing to OU basketball boards since around 2000. In that time I have managed to tune my sensors in as to who provides good, thoughtful info. When this board was created (in 2008, I think) it was supposed to be a refuge for good, intelligent talk about the Sooner basketball team.

But then Blake Griffin took off and we brought in everybody. That's a different topic for a different day.

What concerns me is I'm seeing reasonable posters, people who have been around forever, ridiculed for having an opinion that might stray a little from sunshine and lollipops. What really steamed my clams was seeing a guy I respect a ton, red recluse, called out for having the audacity to question the floor time allotted Lazenby.

Is that where we are now? First, let me admit that I don't post much. I read everything, but I don't post much. Life has changed considerably for me, but I still run my eyes over every single word that is posted on this forum. And let me tell you something....it's a little ugly in here. I'm tired of seeing opinions fried just because they are different.

I'm not going to trump my fandom, but I doubt there is a single soul walking this earth who cares as much about Sooner hoops as I do. And with that care comes the thirst for information. It angers me a great deal to lose people like ouleopard and garyeb2 to the snarky nature of this board. I don't want postman77 to ever wait a millisecond in sharing the insight he has gleaned. I'd hate for vbdad to hesitate before sharing a recruiting tidbit.

But this board is now bringing those guys pause. If someone as knowledgeable as red recluse tells us all to walk off a cliff then we are lesser for it because that's one well-informed perspective gone. And that's BS. I know, we're grown adults haggling over a game played by kids, but I care. I cared when I was little. I cared when I was their age, and I care now even though life prevents me from supporting the program as I once did.

I came of age during Kelvin, when practices were walled off like East Berlin. The openness of Kruger's camp never ceases to amaze me, but I still want more. I want insight that only those with personal relationships with the staff can share. End the sniping and quit jumping all over somebody who might dare share a differing opinion. I thought Lazenby played too much yesterday, and it worries me that Shepherd only saw two minutes. Doesn't mean I don't live and die with every shot.

Good luck, moderators.

Thank you for your time.

Good reminder and I appreciate your thoughtfulness. I agree I do not want to lose more of our knowledgeable posters...

Good luck, moderators.

Thank you for your time.

Thank you for posting this as I had similar thoughts this morning when I saw a poster eviscerated for asking why Lazenby had more playing time than Shepherd where in his opinion Shepherd is the better player and can play the two position like Lazenby. IMO, that is a fine question. That isn’t an attack on Lazenby. I know this will put me on blast but Lazenby doesn’t look comfortable on the court going against the quality of players he is now facing. Odomes foul trouble messed up the rotation yesterday and I think that was the reason Lazenby played so much yesterday. But any free discussion is now being squashed on this board.

I don't mind the discussions about why player A gets more minutes than player B but when someone says player B shouldn't get any minutes at all, I don't have a problem with people calling them out.

Regarding Lazenby's minutes vs Shepherd's minutes, there is a very real possibility that we might see some creative substituting until the flu or virus that has been going around central Oklahoma runs its course.

as I said many, many, many times my only complaint was about those suggesting Lazenby has no place here.

Good luck, moderators.

Thank you for your time.

Agreed. Completely.

04, you are certainly one of the Board's most respected posters, and your opinions are highly valued. As for the topic at hand, I'd like to believe that the Mods have allowed posters to share their feelings about Ty Lazenby and every other player on the team. I was posting on the game thread yesterday, and had no issues with those who wanted him on the bench, and no issues with those who deferred to Coach Kruger. I do agree some appear to take it a bit too personally, but I'm just not sure what you would be looking for the Mods to do.

RedRecluse is another long-time respected poster. I looked again at the posts you were referring to. Someone questioning his fanhood was met with deserved pushback. He didn't have trouble holding his ground...made some really good points along the way.

For now, I'll keep a closer eye on things. For those who think someone is out of line with a post, it's best to report it. Those always get reviewed by ALL the Mods.

I was part of the negative yesterday. especially to red. I want to apologize to him and the board.

wow. worst game recap ever. i didn’t laugh once. you really let it slip, 04.

:eek:ldwt356:

Good luck, moderators.

Thank you for your time.

Sooner04's post are always thoughtful, intelligent, and sometimes sprinkled with some clever humor. Please post more when you get the opportunity.

The mods are policing the board. I'm not going to mention the poster's handle but there is someone who is in process of being banned by another Admin. The poster has been notified and the only issue is for how long they are banned. Depending on their PM response, it could be a month or permanent.

We try to give people the freedom to express their views in a respectful way, and hope the responses are respectful too. We sometimes delete responses or change the verbiage. When we do, we notify the poster what we did and why.

Message boards are made for meaningful discussion with varied opinions. The end.

In the course of my life experiences I have taken a number of test designed to help others understand me. One administrator once told me that I much preferred to make statements than ask questions. Theory is that people are more interested in their own opinions than the opinions of others and if you understand their point of view you may just communicate a little better with them and even get them to understand you a little. So I will try to avoid my natural inclination.

I wonder why we have such valid opinions about who should start and play when we do not know who is injured or ill or who is performing in practice.

I wonder why if I am always positive or always negative anyone would believe anything I post.

I wonder why we think we have the divine right for our players to play perfect all of the time and are personally offended if they don't.

I wonder why I sometimes read game threads without knowing the score and it seems that we have a totally incompetent team and coaches and must have lost by 20 or 30 only to find that we won by 20 or 30.

I wonder why the internet seems to give us the freedom to attack others
on the net when we would not attack them in person. Is our civility so thin that all we need is a little cyberspace to express the real us.

I wonder why when the opposite team members make a good or even a great play that our players must be incompetent and the coaches don't have them working on anything in practice.

Last edited:
Great post, 04. Nothing irritates me more than some accusing others of being less of a fan when they say something the least bit negative. Newsflash, it's a message board. When things aren't going well, people need to vent. Deal with it. Doesn't make them any less of a fan.

Great job Mods! I love this board...

A million times this.

This is supposed to be a place where discussion is fostered, not shut down. If any time someone posts an opinion, the response is "What? Do you think you know more than Lon Kruger?" it's effect to silence people's opinions and turn this into a PR arm of the Oklahoma athletic department.

Which is fine. I'm sure some people like that, but it doesn't interest me very much. My arguments about sports with friends would be a lot less fun if every time someone had an opinion everyone reminded them they're less qualified to talk than a coach.

Mostly, it shows a lack of taking the opinions of smart people like red recluse in good faith, which is lame.

What I don’t understand is why people feel the need to protect or baby OU basketball.

Think about the football team. When people were calling for Jordan Thomas to be benched, even though we were a one-loss team winning the Big 12, I don’t remember a lot of people saying, “You don’t know better than Lincoln Riley, the team is doing pretty good, you should shut up and be satisfied.”

What I don’t understand is why people feel the need to protect or baby OU basketball.

Think about the football team. When people were calling for Jordan Thomas to be benched, even though we were a one-loss team winning the Big 12, I don’t remember a lot of people saying, “You don’t know better than Lincoln Riley, the team is doing pretty good, you should shut up and be satisfied.”

that's because most of you are misstating the complaint to make your point.

I dont care about complaining merely about PT.

There's a difference in saying Jordan Thomas should be playing less and saying he doesn't belong on this team or in D1 ball.

Back