Buzz Williams Would Be Insane To Take Oklahoma Job

StoopsBros

Reaction score
http://rumorsandrants.com/2011/03/buzz-williams-would-be-insane-to-take-oklahoma-job.html

Marquette has carved out a nice little tournament run. As the East’s No. 11 seed the Golden Eagles knocked off No. 6 seed Xavier 66-55, then upset No. 3 seed Syracuse 66-62. Without much expected from them this year, the Golden Eagles’ march to the Sweet 16 has been a surprise to many. As such, head coach Buzz Williams’ name has come up in connection to a few “bigger” jobs.

Williams was thought of as a distant candidate for the Arkansas opening, but soon after Jeff Capel was sent packing at Oklahoma, “Coach Buzz” shot to the top of the Sooners’ list. Over the weekend several sources admitted that the 38-year-old Williams is Oklahoma’s top target. That’s really nice for him, but frankly the guy would have to be insane to take that job.

From the sources we’ve talked to we know this: Williams loves his Marquette squad. More importantly, he loves the team he has coming back next season. The Golden Eagles lose four seniors, of those only Jimmy Butler and Dwight Buycks are starters. While Butler is a really nice player and has had a good senior season (15.8 points, 6.1 rebounds per game) he is replaceable.

In addition to that, the Golden Eagles have a very good recruiting class coming in next year. Four-star small forward Juan Anderson will likely contribute early and point guard Derrick Wilson will probably earn solid minutes by midseason. Translation: If Williams could get this Marquette team to the Sweet 16, he could do damage next year with a bunch of returnees and a good recruiting class.

Meanwhile, things at Oklahoma aren’t exactly rosy. After back-to-back losing seasons, Caple was sent packing, and his roster is a mess. Oklahoma missed out on signing any big-time recruits over the past two seasons. While Capel did get highly-touted JUCO forward Robert Goff to commit for next season, Goff is now likely headed elsewhere, considering the only reason he signed with the Sooners was his close relationship with the now deposed coach.

In addition to that, Oklahoma could be facing major sanctions because former assistant Oronde Taliaferro may have been involved in securing loans for former players Tiny Gallon and Willie Warren from a financial advisor. Even if the NCAA spares the Sooners, the reputation of the program has been severely damaged (once again) and the cupboard is basically bare for recruits and on the current roster.

Williams (reportedly) makes about $1.5 million per year right now, and Oklahoma would probably have to offer around $2 million to even get his attention. The school just shelled out around $2.2 million just to get Capel to go away, so clearly it has the money. And yes, Williams is a Texas native, so the pull to be closer to home will certainly be present.

Knowing Williams’ personality, I honestly don’t think he goes to Oklahoma. He’s got a good head on his shoulders and I don’t think money alone would sway him to leave what he’s got at Marquette. Especially considering that he’s definitely in line for a raise from his current school.

He’s built a very solid roster and with the talent he has coming in and the experience gained in the postseason this year, the Golden Eagles could be a force next season.

Frankly, Williams would have to be crazy to leave what he has in Milwaukee.

Geno-Auriemma.jpg

Love how this guy says Goff is likely headed elsewhere and links to a story that says nothing of the sort.

If Buzz only cares about 2011-2012, then this article is right. If he cares about the long term potential of both programs, then the article is wrong. I do like that they focused on all the negatives at OU and all the positives at Marq. It shows real journalistic integrity.

PS When did any evidence come out that Willie took a loan?

I also love that they posted a link to Greg Doyle's hit piece from last May, saying that we should get the death penalty.

Didn't even notice that. Doyel is the textbook definition of a troll. He probably posts on this board.

If Buzz only cares about 2011-2012, then this article is right. If he cares about the long term potential of both programs, then the article is wrong. I do like that they focused on all the negatives at OU and all the positives at Marq. It shows real journalistic integrity.

PS When did any evidence come out that Willie took a loan?

It looked like a blog post by a fan to be honest, I dont blame him for the stance he took. He brings up a lot of the reasons why Buzz would stay at Marquette and from the outside eye it is a better job then Oklahoma. Heck even from an inside eye its easy to see how a basketball school is a better job for the majority.

I'm going to continue to beat it like a dead horse or copy machine, the only reason OU has a chance to get Buzz is due to his ties to their region from previous jobs and his current recruiting grounds.

With the signs of his potential recruiting habits then and nature of the conferences OU has to be seen as an edge.

As it's been stated elsewhere, I think the farther (further?) they go in the tournament, the less chance he leaves for anywhere.

Love how this guy says Goff is likely headed elsewhere and links to a story that says nothing of the sort.

Exactly. At one time he says the Buzz is this great coach who can land great talent. Then he says he would not be able to keep Goff.

Now I can see how some people might think it insane for Buzz to come to Oklahoma, but some of this guys arguments are out of whack.

I also notice he didn't mention Buzz is an OCU grad, coached at OCU as well. The man has some decent ties here and, heck, who knows, maybe he's a fan of the program since our program was HUGE when he was in HS and even some into his days in OKC. I'd say there's an attraction, but it'll be hard for him to leave unless he just thinks Marquette will have a hard time reaching the top of the Big East mountain just because of sheer numbers...

Buzz would be insane not to take the OU job!!More $$$$$$$,better & easier access to recruits!!

Reading that "article" only makes me think that Buzz is already headed to OU and the deal was/is in place before Capel was let go. Some have already been mentioned, but a few points:

1. A guy builds a program in the Big East using talent that he has to get from 1,000 miles away, Texas. What is easier, convincing a kid from Texas to go to OU or Marquette.

2. From an athletic department standpoint, overall OU is probably in the Top 5 in the nation, Marquette is probably not even Top 10 in the Big East.

3. For most of this guys life, OU has been a successful basketball program . . . sort of goes in line with #1 and #2 above, but overall in the B12, OU is probably 2nd or 3rd strongest program over the last 30 years.

4. OU apparently showed ZERO interest in BCG, there has to be a reason for that. See #2 and #3, had we offered, BCG was ours to have at the same price as TT.

5. For such "scary" potential NCAA sanctions, why haven't we heard ANYTHING for over a year? Nothing. OU has a history under the current administration of biting the bullet and getting things over with.

There are two reasons for Buzz not to take the OU job:

1. We fired a guy two years after making the Elite Eight and three years after making the NCAA Tournament. I'm not going to get into a pissing match over whether that was the right or wrong decision, but if I was a "hot young coach" contemplating a career move, that standard would make me nervous. However, if I was a "hot young coach" that was familiar with OU, I might see it as a challenge.

2. We are not willing to pay him the money that he thinks he could command. I do not see that happening this time. Castiglione went the cheap route once and ended up firing "his" guy AFTER inking him to a big deal. Not going to say that money is no object, but I do not think we are going to go "cheap" either. This is a safe play for Joe, and our athletic department can out spend pretty much any other one out there if we "want" to, particularly Marquette, who could never match our resources.

Anyway, I'll probably jinx it, but there is just too much smoke here. Joe Castiglione HAS to make a splash with this next hire and EVERYONE is saying that this is the perfect fit. With the right guy, OU can be at the top of the conference heap every year, Buzz knows that, Marquette fans should realize that as well. We are a "football school" but the reality is with all the potential conference re-alignment on the horizon, that only makes OU look more attractive. Think Self wasn't sweating where KU might end up?

^This. I don't really 100% agree, and me and B!!! have been on opposite sides on a lot of issues, but he's pretty much right. We aren't going to fire Capel without a coach or one or two coaches we are looking at. I think Buzz is probably the guy and if an Arkansas beats us out for him we probably have a close number two.

The only other negative I would add Mr. B is that a lot of coaches have trouble leaving a school after a good run in the NCAA's. Sense of loyalty, maybe? That is the only thing that scares me. That, and the money, possibly.

^This. I don't really 100% agree, and me and B!!! have been on opposite sides on a lot of issues, but he's pretty much right. We aren't going to fire Capel without a coach or one or two coaches we are looking at. I think Buzz is probably the guy and if an Arkansas beats us out for him we probably have a close number two.

I agree, and I do not even think Arkansas is in the picture here. Again, I'll probably jinx it, but if there were huge issues with NCAA sanctions or a guy that was not already "in play" Capel would still be here. There is just too much being said about this, and some homer from Marquette quoting Doyle only solidifies to me that Buzz is coming home to compete for championships.

Before we use the loyalty aspect, let's hearken back to a few days ago when Buzz was asked about the rumors and he basically said a few weeks ago no one thought he could coach. Of course, we don't know what context that statement was made in, but he sounded a bit perturbed. Soooo, he may not be all that loyal to Marquette.

The only other negative I would add Mr. B is that a lot of coaches have trouble leaving a school after a good run in the NCAA's. Sense of loyalty, maybe? That is the only thing that scares me. That, and the money, possibly.

That scares me too...sort of goes to the concerns I had with firing Capel (again, he is gone, not wanting to go there), but I almost think there was/is a deal already in place. And he'll probably use his stroke to get his #1 assistant to take his place [thus in my dream world making room for Terry Evans to come back to OU as an assistant].

In one of Buzz's interviews he said that he never coaches at a place looking forward to the next job. He is totally present for his current coaching job and his current players. Nevertheless, he has left other jobs. The one thing about a guy who gives 100% to his current job is that he has a clean conscience. He doesn't have to feel like he is betraying his current employer by moving to a job he will like better.

In one of Buzz's interviews he said that he never coaches at a place looking forward to the next job. He is totally present for his current coaching job and his current players. Nevertheless, he has left other jobs. The one thing about a guy who gives 100% to his current job is that he has a clean conscience. He doesn't have to feel like he is betraying his current employer by moving to a job he will like better.

There is also such a thing as leaving on a "high note"... I know Marquette has had some success, even recent success, but Buzz will be regarded in the same way there as Tubbs and Kelvin [sort of] are at OU. At 38 if things go bad he can always go back.

he'd REALLY be insane taking the OU job since Bruce Pearl will already be here coaching.

Back