Cam Clark's shot

AdaSooner

Admin Emeritus
Reaction score
Ordinarily I would say if it works don't change. But in Cam's case, I think he will have to improve his shot to have any chance of playing in the league someday.

I'm not suggesting that Cam has the goods to play at the next level right now. IMO, he still has a way to go to be considered as a prospect for the draft. I think most of us agree that if he does get the opportunity, he'll be projected as a two or three. The question is, will his shooting technique be a negative scouts will key on in their evaluation? The stroke itself is not that bad. It's his technique; shooting while on the way down from the apex of his jump, leaning away from the basket. His shot from deep looks more like a set shot sometimes.

Thoughts? Will his shot be a drawback if he falls short of being anything but a spectacular shooter in college?

Ordinarily I would say if it works don't change. But in Cam's case, I think he will have to improve his shot to have any chance of playing in the league someday.

I'm not suggesting that Cam has the goods to play at the next level right now. IMO, he still has a way to go to be considered as a prospect for the draft. I think most of us agree that if he does get the opportunity, he'll be projected as a two or three. The question is, will his shooting technique be a negative scouts will key on in their evaluation? The stroke itself is not that bad. It's his technique; shooting while on the way down from the apex of his jump, leaning away from the basket. His shot from deep looks more like a set shot sometimes.

Thoughts? Will his shot be a drawback if he falls short of being anything but a spectacular shooter in college?

He has the worst looking shot ever, thats for sure.

Shawn Marion would like a word with you

Marion is the exception. He's an incredible athlete who can guard threes or fours, as well as rebound and score almost at will off the dribble. Shooting guards and small forwards who don't have close to textbook shots are rare in the NBA. Who knows? Maybe Cam will be one of them. All I'm saying is that I think his chances are slim, unless he works on improving his shot.

what makes you think they not looking at him now?

I hope that's true, chico. There is nothing I would like more than seeing Cam in the NBA someday. By the way, I met him at the Legends game. His family should be proud. He's a very nice young man!

My question (as well as my concern) about his future in the NBA centers entirely around his shooting technique. His athleticism, hops and most of his fundamentals are not at issue. His defense has also improved since last year, and will likely get better. I just believe his shot will limit his draft worthiness if he fails to make some changes.

You're a student of the game. Do you not see what I'm talkiing about?

Cam's shot isn't "broke", it just has a different spin on it. If he keeps progressing with his assertiveness and scoring, he'll be fine. He has the size they want.

Cam's shot isn't "broke", it just has a different spin on it. If he keeps progressing with his assertiveness and scoring, he'll be fine. He has the size they want.

This... I wouldn't worry one bit about Cam's shot...

He's a better shooter than Tabo Sefalosha and has the potential to be just as good of a defender at the NBA level.

Cam also shot 47% from the field last season, which is pretty fantastic for a guard/forward as a true freshman.

Alrighty, then. That topic went over well.

I'll try to dream up another one equally as successful in the next month or two. :ez-laugh:

Alrighty, then. That topic went over well.

I'll try to dream up another one equally as successful in the next month or two. :ez-laugh:

:ez-laugh:

I think you're right that it doesn't pass the eye test and will show up in some scouting reports. I also think other posters are correct to point out that his shot isn't effecting his shooting percentage.

Like Ada, I don't like his shot, but he seems successful with it. I don't know if he should change it or not, changing an awkward shot is like changing a golf swing, it might be more fundamentally sound but a lot less successful. Daly and Furyk were right to stick to what they knew and could repeat.

My problem with Cam's shot has to do with the time it takes him to get it off. Changed or not, as to form, it isn't nearly quick enough from catch to shoot. Against good NBA defensive 2/3 players, it wouldn't matter much if he could make shots, he wouldn't get many off.

Seems like different opinions on the board, but for me, he has prototypical size, athletisim, and lateral quickness for the NBA at the 2. His skill set is good for his age and looks like it could certainly improve to league levels. Lon can teach man defense as well as anyone in the game, and with his quicks and length, he will be good enough defensively in a couple years. The issue is whether he will develop the offensive game necessary to play the 2. Most NBA 2s are looked to for offense.

Personally, I like his chances. But, like Ada, I think it would benefit him to watch a lot of tape and get some expert opinions on his shot, both as to form and tempo. Unlike what most people think, perimeter defense in the NBA, when it counts, is scary good.

:gerber
Like Ada, I don't like his shot, but he seems successful with it. I don't know if he should change it or not, changing an awkward shot is like changing a golf swing, it might be more fundamentally sound but a lot less successful. Daly and Furyk were right to stick to what they knew and could repeat.

My problem with Cam's shot has to do with the time it takes him to get it off. Changed or not, as to form, it isn't nearly quick enough from catch to shoot. Against good NBA defensive 2/3 players, it wouldn't matter much if he could make shots, he wouldn't get many off.

Seems like different opinions on the board, but for me, he has prototypical size, athletisim, and lateral quickness for the NBA at the 2. His skill set is good for his age and looks like it could certainly improve to league levels. Lon can teach man defense as well as anyone in the game, and with his quicks and length, he will be good enough defensively in a couple years. The issue is whether he will develop the offensive game necessary to play the 2. Most NBA 2s are looked to for offense.

Personally, I like his chances. But, like Ada, I think it would benefit him to watch a lot of tape and get some expert opinions on his shot, both as to form and tempo. Unlike what most people think, perimeter defense in the NBA, when it counts, is scary good.

Nicely done, cowboysooner! You made my point better than I ever could.

I'm not saying that a repeatable shot, no matter how flawed, can't be successful at the next level. Clearly that is not the case. My concern for Cam centers around a shooting technique that usually doesn't translate well to the professional game. You added a point I never thought of. His release is indeed a bit slow.

I agree that Cam has the size, quickness and athleticism NBA scouts look for in a two guard. The question is, will his physical tools and skills be enough? I honestly don't know the answer to that quesion. That's why I started a thread to ask if his shot could be a roadblock?

I think if Corey Ivy can have a career in the NBA as a 2 than Cam has a real shot.

Back