Capel in Vegas...

Eddie didn't make trips, but his assistants were everywhere. Especially guys like Sean, Glenn Cyprien and Jimmy Williams.

Ford is different, he like Capel is more hands on.

Yeah, but they got a ton of guys through connections. The Grahams, Allen, and Bobik were hand delivered, and Lucas fell in their laps.

Yep, I remember when there were people that thought he would make his living off of saxet and that OU shouldn't waste their time recruiting the best players around the nation. I knew Coach Capel would do this. BOOMER SOONER BABY!!!:clap

Blake Griffin - Oklahoma
WW - Texas
TMG - Texas
Tiny - Virginia, but has Texas ties

Blake Griffin - Oklahoma
WW - Texas
TMG - Texas

Exactly. I don't really understand that previous comment. Capel IS making his living recruiting Texas and Oklahoma and that is EXACTLY what he should be doing. I've said all along all you have to do is consistently get the best player(s) from Oklahoma and a couple of the top 5-8 Texas players and you are loaded every year. Fill in the gaps with guys from other parts of the country and go to work. That should and is the focus. It's hard to get a MCDAA to leave the coasts for OU. It will happen some but not often. Capel just signed his 4th MCDAA and they are all from Oklahoma and Texas. Trust me that's not by accident and that's going to happen quite often. Hopefully Cam Clark is next in line.

Blake Griffin - Oklahoma
WW - Texas
TMG - Texas

He pulled Pledger and Fitz from the east coast. We will most likely get two guys from afar in this next class.

Tiny has as many California ties than Texas ties. Considers Cali his home.

I suspect that he will always make a living in Texas (and why not) but think he will get 1 or 2 from the national scene as well.

He pulled Pledger and Fitz from the east coast. We will most likely get two guys from afar in this next class.

Tiny has as many California ties than Texas ties. Considers Cali his home.

I suspect that he will always make a living in Texas (and why not) but think he will get 1 or 2 from the national scene as well.

Nobody said every player would be from OK/TX, but the large majority of the "star" players will be. The role players, or filler-players, of course will come from where ever. Same as the always have.

Nobody said every player would be from OK/TX, but the large majority of the "star" players will be. The role players, or filler-players, of course will come from where ever. Same as the always have.

Yep, 100% agree. There is too much talent in Oklahoma and Texas not to focus there. Pledger and Fitzgerald are going to be good players but the days of those type of players being the #1 and 2 options are over.

James Johnson, Terrence Jones, or Doron Lamb will not be fillers or role-players. I predict that Capel will start getting guys from all over. Richard Peters is from Florida (before that Canada) and is going to Brewster Academy next year.

I also don't consider Fitzgerald in the category that you mentioned above. He is a top 80 player with offers from schools like Louisville, Memphis, Maryland, and Pitt. He was a big time get that was overshadowed by TMG and Tiny.

I also don't consider Fitzgerald in the category that you mentioned above. He is a top 80 player with offers from schools like Louisville, Memphis, Maryland, and Pitt. He was a big time get that was overshadowed by TMG and Tiny.

OU has had NO problems getting top 80 talent to Norman over the past decade. Go look for yourself.

Again, we're not saying guys won't come from other parts of the country but Oklahoma and Texas will continue to be the hotbed for the top players OU gets. There is just too much top talent for it not to be. And even in this upcoming class pretty much everyone agrees we are in the best shape with Cam Clark. Another MCDAA type from Texas. I think he'll become a Sooner and join fellow Texan TJ Taylor.

Tiny is not from Virginia. He is originally from California. Sorry, but it doesn't look like he will be a role player. OU would be plain stupid to not recruit our own recruiting base (Oklahoma and saxet). We understand that loud and clear. Once again the point is that it is clear that we will recruit the best players no matter where they are from. Terrence Jones is from Oregon. Tobias is from NY. Doron Lamb is from NY. I could keep going, but I think you get the point. These guys aren't role players. They are some of the top players in the country. Just keep watching our recruiting. I think you will be surprised. BOOMER SOONER BABY!!!

Tiny is not from Virginia. He is originally from California. Sorry, but it doesn't look like he will be a role player. OU would be plain stupid to not recruit our own recruiting base (Oklahoma and saxet). We understand that loud and clear. Once again the point is that it is clear that we will recruit the best players no matter where they are from. Terrence Jones is from Oregon. Tobias is from NY. Doron Lamb is from NY. I could keep going, but I think you get the point. These guys aren't role players. They are some of the top players in the country. Just keep watching our recruiting. I think you will be surprised. BOOMER SOONER BABY!!!

Again, nobody said EVERY player. As you said in a previous post people (I was one of those) said Capel would "make a living" off recruiting Texas and Oklahoma. That is EXACTLY what he's done. And I feel he will keep on doing it. It makes sense. Loaded with talent and a neighboring state. There is a reason most believe Cam Clark is our #1 target. He's very good and he's close. That puts it more reasonable that we would land him over a Doron Lamb.

Again, nobody said EVERY player. As you said in a previous post people (I was one of those) said Capel would "make a living" off recruiting Texas and Oklahoma. That is EXACTLY what he's done. And I feel he will keep on doing it. It makes sense. Loaded with talent and a neighboring state. There is a reason most believe Cam Clark is our #1 target. He's very good and he's close. That puts it more reasonable that we would land him over a Doron Lamb.

Yep.

We may land some occassional studs from the east or west, but at the end of the day, most of our big-time talent will be local. But we've pulled talent from non-OK/TX places before (Lav, Hollis, etc), and we've always pulled our secondary talent from non-local places. Capel isn't the first OU coach to chase talented players from far-off states. He may be doing it a little moreso than any previous coach, though.

Yep.

We may land some occassional studs from the east or west, but at the end of the day, most of our big-time talent will be local. But we've pulled talent from non-OK/TX places before (Lav, Hollis, etc), and we've always pulled our secondary talent from non-local places. Capel isn't the first OU coach to chase talented players from far-off states. He may be doing it a little moreso than any previous coach, though.

I agree. If Jeff could sign the best player out of Houston every year, that would be the start of a good class.

Not many non-powerhouse teams do recruit top 25 talent from across the nation year in and year out. UT may be the best example of a team that does, and that is even more of a reason for OU to go hard after Texas kids.

Once again the point is that it is clear that we will recruit the best players no matter where they are from. Terrence Jones is from Oregon. Tobias is from NY. Doron Lamb is from NY. I could keep going, but I think you get the point. These guys aren't role players. They are some of the top players in the country. Just keep watching our recruiting. I think you will be surprised. BOOMER SOONER BABY!!!

I agree FF. Jeff is not constrained by geography. It doesn't make any difference to him whether a kid is from Houston or the Bronx. Texas will always be a fertile recruiting area for Jeff. If another Blake Griffin emerges from the state of Oklahoma, Jeff will get him. Unfortunately, with a population of only 3 million people, Oklahoma doesn't produce enough talent year in and year out that can compete on the same level with the NCs and Dukes. A great recruiter like Jeff can go anywhere in the country and compete head to head with the Big Boys for top talent. When it comes to recruiting, Jeff hasn't even scratched the surface yet.

:jcapel

Sid, thank you for understanding my point. I really think that times are changing. I actually think the time is coming to where we might have a class that has three players from outside our recruiting base and then have maybe two from the base. That's just how things have changed. Players are going to schools to play with other good players no matter where they are from. The guys from our normal base are playing aau and getting to know the guys from other regions on the aau circuit. Thats what will enable us to have the types of classes that I'm talking about. Also when you have a coach from a different area of the country. It's not as hard to get that player to come to your school. The people that don't subscribe to this theory just keep watching. Every year that Coach Capel has been here. We have made in roads outside of our base. We will start to reap the benefits of this very soon. BOOMER SOONER BABY!!!:clap

Capel's Twitter: "in KC today following one kid. may stumble upon some others, but focusing on one. got in late last night from vegas! time to work!!!"

I'm guessing that means OU is pulling off Pressey. Probably a really good idea to focus of the other recruits more and not waste time on a guy they have no real chance of getting.

I'm guessing that means OU is pulling off Pressey. Probably a really good idea to focus of the other recruits more and not waste time on a guy they have no real chance of getting.

Yep. I have thought for awhile now that it will be highly unlikely to convince a top-notch PG to come to OU in this class.

Capel is there for Cameron Clark, and man I hope he gets him!

Yep. I have thought for awhile now that it will be highly unlikely to convince a top-notch PG to come to OU in this class.

Capel is there for Cameron Clark, and man I hope he gets him!

Ditto. Probably be two years before we can land another top notch PG.

That said, I think WW and Taylor can handle the backup PG spot this year and probably the next. Nothing wrong with having a combo guard serve as the backup, if your starter is as talented as we think TMG is.

Back