Capel in Vegas...

elmocarp

Reaction score
Here's a quote from his Twitter page:

In Vegas. 2nd recruiting period starts up 2morrow. KC, Orlando, and Phoenix on this trip! Whew. Time to get some players. Miss my girls tho

Time to get some players indeed! I am dying for news on a new commit...

I assume there are some tournaments in those cities? Anyone know?

This is why I love Capel. He's a tireless recruiter who never rests and on top of all that he's a cool cat. Twitter is his friend.

I don't know about Twitter, but Coach Capel is obviously making friends and inroads on the AAU circuit and in recruiting venues across this country. He and his staff appear to be everywhere. They're recruiting from coast to coast and not leaving a stone unturned to find the best players available who may want to be Sooners. I couldn't be more pleased with the results of their efforts!

As proof of their nationwide search for talent, fourteen different states (TX, IA, CA, NC, MI, OR, SC, VA, NY, GA, FL, KS, NM and NV) are represented among the prospects considering OU in the 2010 class. I'm sure others will be added as the recruiting season progresses.

I don't know about Twitter, but Coach Capel is obviously making friends and inroads on the AAU circuit and in recruiting venues across this country. He and his staff appear to be everywhere. They're recruiting from coast to coast and not leaving a stone unturned to find the best players available who may want to be Sooners. I couldn't be more pleased with the results of their efforts!

As proof of their nationwide search for talent, fourteen different states (TX, IA, CA, NC, MI, OR, SC, VA, NY, GA, FL, KS, NM and NV) are represented among the prospects considering OU in the 2010 class. I'm sure others will be added as the recruiting season progresses.

I knew when Jeff took over the HC job at OU he had connections. But his recruiting base is much greater than I ever imagined. I knew he would recruit the east coast, but as you have pointed out, he is recruiting CA, OR, NM and NV. He is leaving no stone unturned. Even the morons who are reluctant to give Jeff any praise without qualifying their statements can't dispute the impact he is having on OU's recruiting. It's like night and day. The guy is a recruiting machine. If Jeff keeps it up, I might have to raise the bar higher. CONNECTIONS!

yeah, which of the national hoops writers said Capel was a bad hire since he didn't have any recruiting ties to the southwest?

i'll think of the guy later today.

Eddie didn't make trips, but his assistants were everywhere. Especially guys like Sean, Glenn Cyprien and Jimmy Williams.

Ford is different, he like Capel is more hands on.

I'm wondering if the hard work Capel is putting into the program now translates into OU keeping him here.

My thought: he's pounding the pavement and establishing ties, yet he misses his girls. Then, as DM points out:

Eddie Sutton was a guy who rarely made recruiting visits. As a matter of fact, alot of his players were hand delivered by coaching buddies.

I would imagine that as a coach gets older, with more family responsibilities, he would not want to hit the road as much. Capel establishing his network now so that he can relax a bit later might be a good sign for his longevity at OU.

I would imagine that as a coach gets older, with more family responsibilities, he would not want to hit the road as much. Capel establishing his network now so that he can relax a bit later might be a good sign for his longevity at OU.

Exactly. He is a new, young coach, so that is the best way to go about things. 5-10 years from now, we'll get kids on name recognition, and Capel will be able to send assistants out much more frequently.

Exactly. He is a new, young coach, so that is the best way to go about things. 5-10 years from now, we'll get kids on name recognition, and Capel will be able to send assistants out much more frequently.

I agree, and I don't have a problem with that at all. Coaches who work hard in those early years deserve to reach the point where they can stay at home more and let their assistants rack up the airline miles. Capel is smart. He knows how important it is to establish ties while he's young and has the energy.

He's a workaholic though, and so hands-on, it may be a few years before he decides to cut back on his travel schedule and let his staff do it. He also knows it means a lot to these kids to see a head coach at their games, so I doubt if he will put an end to making an appearance at AAU tourneys and other events anytime soon.

yeah, which of the national hoops writers said Capel was a bad hire since he didn't have any recruiting ties to the southwest?

i'll think of the guy later today.

I'm not sure who you are remembering, but I know that Gottleib said that was his biggest weakness. He said he liked Capel and thought he had a bright future but that the job was too much, too soon for him. He said he knew he would be a good recruiter, but that it is tougher than people think to come into a region you are unfamiliar with and make hay.

I actually called in and got into it a little bit with him, Al and Craig when he got hired. I said that I thought Joe C was trying to catch a guy on his way up and re-energize the program. My comparison was that Joe C was looking for OU's version of Billy Donovan. They killed me for it...

I'm not sure who you are remembering, but I know that Gottleib said that was his biggest weakness. He said he liked Capel and thought he had a bright future but that the job was too much, too soon for him. He said he knew he would be a good recruiter, but that it is tougher than people think to come into a region you are unfamiliar with and make hay.

I actually called in and got into it a little bit with him, Al and Craig when he got hired. I said that I thought Joe C was trying to catch a guy on his way up and re-energize the program. My comparison was that Joe C was looking for OU's version of Billy Donovan. They killed me for it...

i think it was Mike DeCourcey. it was on an online article that listed the best hires of that off-season and he said that the Capel hire wasn't a good one because of the recruiting thing.

wow: and just like that:

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/12822935/from/RS.1/

edit: to be fair, he called it "biggest gamble"....not "worst" in the headline (which was probably written by a copy editor). Grade: C, is pretty low on his overall rubric. though, i'd say he whiffed on Sendek as well for the same reason.

Last edited:
He's a workaholic though, and so hands-on, it may be a few years before he decides to cut back on his travel schedule and let his staff do it. He also knows it means a lot to these kids to see a head coach at their games, so I doubt if he will put an end to making an appearance at AAU tourneys and other events anytime soon.

I agree. I think it's a LONG time before Capel is sitting at home Eddie Sutton style and letting his assistants do all the recruiting work. The top recruiters are out there as well as there assistants are out there. I consider Capel a top recruiter.
And unfortunately top NCAA coaches miss out on a lot of family time. It comes with the territory and is a reason why they are paid so much.

I never thought Capel was a bad hire. However, as with any unknown....or somewhat unknown entity, I had some reservations when he was hired. I still thought he was a better choice than 90% of the names being thrown around.

We'll never know though just how well Capel would have done had he not gotten the best basketball player in the country to come to OU. I'll give Blake partial credit for much of the good that's coming to our program right now.

Yep, I remember when there were people that thought he would make his living off of saxet and that OU shouldn't waste their time recruiting the best players around the nation. I knew Coach Capel would do this. BOOMER SOONER BABY!!!:clap

I'm with you Elmo....I hope Capel's twitter comment about getting players means that we will have news of a new commit or two in the near future. I am getting anxious.

I would love to see that Cobbins or Lamb picked just to give me somebody new to get excited about while I wait to see what Clark does.

Back