Capel mentioned on PTI

Sooner Quick

Reaction score
Saying he is not for the one and done deal and that something needs to be done about it. Just thought I'd pass it along.

Thanks. He has been really openly against it. I really like the two done deal with option to bolt straight from hs to the nba.

"It's a really bad rule," Oklahoma head coach Jeff Capel said during this week's Big 12 coaches teleconference. "In my opinion, it makes a mockery of education in college and it's condescending on the NBA's part."

Capel pointed out that the majority the superstars the NBA markets the most -- Kobe Bryant, LeBron James, Dwight Howard, Kevin Garnett, and so on -- didn't need a year of college to make it to the top of their profession.

And if a kid makes a mistake by entering his name in the NBA draft out of high school instead of spending one season at Kansas or UCLA or Kentucky, so be it.

"I don't agree that we need to protect kids from themselves," Capel continued. "I think these kids should have the right to go straight from high school (to the NBA), because some of them are not college material."

"I'm not sure how much the NBA cares about college basketball," Capel said. "It's a business and they're in the business of making the NBA the best product they can make it."

I don't like the one and done rule, and don't want a two and done rule. If a kid feels he is ready to enter the NBA as a teenager, let him do so.

I don't like the one and done rule, and don't want a two and done rule. If a kid feels he is ready to enter the NBA as a teenager, let him do so.

agreed. gotta love these college coaches that "care so much about academics" in the pursuit to lock these kids in for 2+ years.

Restricting when a player can go pro seems to work pretty well for the NFL. I'd like to see the NBA enforce the same rule -- they can't join the NBA until three years after they graduate high school.

It's a rare kid who's mature enough to decide whether he's ready for the NBA. What happens to those young athletes who listen to boneheaded, self-serving advisors but don't make it into the NBA? They're left out altogether.

A 3 year rule would be unfair, I think. It would really hurt parity, could you imagine a team having LeBron James averaging 35-40 points by the time he's a Junior.

Restricting when a player can go pro seems to work pretty well for the NFL. I'd like to see the NBA enforce the same rule -- they can't join the NBA until three years after they graduate high school.

It's a rare kid who's mature enough to decide whether he's ready for the NBA. What happens to those young athletes who listen to boneheaded, self-serving advisors but don't make it into the NBA? They're left out altogether.

The NFL and NBA are two completely different games though.

In the NBA, an 18 year old kid, while immature, can still play along seasoned pros nearly twice his age based off of athleticism alone. Knowledge of the game has nothing to do with it.

In the NFL, no incoming freshman is ready for the speed, impact, and length of season that is the NFL. Mental strength and capacity is even further behind when gauging these teenagers.

Not to mention one player can take over for a team for those 3 years in basketball. That can't be done in college football.

That would be horrible.

Those young athletes that dont make it in the NBA can always go to college and pursue an education, or they can try to play basketball overseas. Or, if they find out they arent pro material, they will find something other than basketball to make a living on.

The rule should be similar to baseball. They can go to the NBA right after high school or go to college. If they choose to go to college, they have to say for a set time - 2 or 3 years.

Last edited:
The rule should be similar to baseball. They can go to the NBA right after high school or go to college. If they choose to go to college, they have to say for a set time - 2 or 3 years.

Good point but that kills college baseball. If you go D1 in baseball you are not draft eligible for 3 years. Or you can go JUCO and be draft eligible after one year.
That's why the best baseball players just go pro or many who are just trying to get a better draft will just go JUCO.

It does make JUCO baseball really good though.

It is wrong to infringe upon a man's right to make money for his talents.

What makes it even more insane to even try comparing the Big Apple that is the NFL to the Orange that is the NBA. Let's look at numbers alone. in the whole NBA there are ONLY 450 potential players on any given day, and only 360 of those actually suit up. Let's then compare those numbers to college football teams. I believe the collegiate version of the game uses about 50 students per roster. In comparison, only 9 college football teams could comprise the entirety of all the NBA.

Now let's take that the other direction and look at the merely 13% of the 360 NBA players who are rookies. I believe that is 9... 9 players coming out of college who may be able to play for the big bad NBA.

I believe that if a young man put in for the NBA draft and was left out, he should have every right to enroll back into school and go right back to learning, the game and everything that college is there to teach us. Why change to rules up for a handful of guys that have the talent and are really going to get paid well. Let them go get that money while they are young and healthy, if they are over 18 then it should be their right to work for who ever will hire them.

Last edited:

I believe that if a young man put in for the NBA draft and was left out, he should have every right to enroll back into school and go right back to learning, the game and everything that college is there to teach us.
Why change to rules up for a handful of guys that have the talent and are really going to get paid well. Let them go get that money while they are young and healthy, if they are over 18 then it should be their right to work for who ever will hire them.

I think that's a great idea but how practical would it be? The draft is tomorrow. If a kid doesn't get picked, he can go to college. Do they sign a LOI and then default to the college if they don't get drafted?

Personally, i like the rule although i wouldn't mind if they changed it to 2 years. itsa been a pleasure to see some of the NBA caliber superstars playing the college game. i think it makes the game more exciting. of course it tends to favor the powerhouse programs bevause they get the real studs.

My personal feelings on this topic is that anyone should be able to come out after high school and enter the NBA Draft...but if you arent drafted or decide to go to college/overseas first you are required to spend 3 (possibly 2)seasons at that level before you are allowed to enter the NBA Draft...

I think this would eliminate some of the weaker drafts we are seeing now and players will have the ability to develop more if they arent ready straight out of high school to be dominant...Would be good for both the NBA and College...

My personal feelings on this topic is that anyone should be able to come out after high school and enter the NBA Draft...but if you arent drafted or decide to go to college/overseas first you are required to spend 3 (possibly 2)seasons at that level before you are allowed to enter the NBA Draft...

I think this would eliminate some of the weaker drafts we are seeing now and players will have the ability to develop more if they arent ready straight out of high school to be dominant...Would be good for both the NBA and College...
I agree with you and BigTime about having a two-year rule with the option to enter the NBA straight out of high school. The NBA's logic in the one-year rule was that players would be more NBA-ready when they entered the league and that they would be more instantly marketable, and in some cases it has worked (i.e. Kevin Durant, Derrick Rose, etc.) However, this year's draft is going to have several lottery picks who are still raw players lacking instant marketability. What did Jrue Holiday and Demar DeRozan accomplish by going to college for a year? How much does the average NBA fan know about these players? No offense to those guys in particular (I like Holiday as a prospect), but what NBA fan base is going to get excited over drafting these players? Furthermore, how much did their schools get out of it? A two-year rule with the option of making the jump from high school really would benefit both the NBA and the NCAA.

I agree with Capel as well.

If you think you're good enough to play in the NBA right now, there is no reason you should be limited by trying. Also, the current system makes a mockery of the term student-athlete. Basically all a kid has to do is take some high school classes in a college setting for one semester, then they're free to do whatever they want. Most NBA bound freshmen don't even go to class after the second semester starts.

It's a waste of time and university resources to make these players stay at the collegiate level. College basketball will still flourish regardless of what limit is set upon by the NBA, the tradition and pageantry is still there and that is why a lot of fans watch.

Back