Capels most important recruiting class?

luckyc1423

Reaction score
Is this the most important recruiting class for capel?

I believe so....if he can lock up one more bigtime recruit I believe it lays the grown work for future years...

(ground work) I think Blake was Capel's most important. This one could be the second most important.

there is alot of people that think blake was coming to OU regardless....I think this is the most important to prove to recruits he will bring in talent year en year out....and getting that talent ready for the nba while having a shot at ncaa championship/big 12 championships

Blake was easily his most important recruit, but this may be the class. If he pulls in some big time players this year momentum will really start to snowball for the program.

Last edited:
there is alot of people that think blake was coming to OU regardless....I think this is the most important to prove to recruits he will bring in talent year en year out....and getting that talent ready for the nba while having a shot at ncaa championship/big 12 championships

It was rumored that he wasn't if KS were still here, if so, the thought of going elsewhere had crossed his mind. I think he had to recruit Blake and re-recruit Taylor.

It was rumored that he wasn't if KS were still here, if so, the thought of going elsewhere had crossed his mind. I think he had to recruit Blake and re-recruit Taylor.

This. Blake was going elsewhere until Capel. Blake was easily his most important recruit and probably always will be. Blake turned the tide.

This. Blake was going elsewhere until Capel. Blake was easily his most important recruit and probably always will be. Blake turned the tide.

Ah, you don't know that Chendog. I thought you were so anti-speculation on message boards.

Yes, this is his most important recruiting class. Solely based on expectation of 2010-11. If he's able to retain Tiny, you're looking at potentially having a core group of players that consist of Tiny, Fitz, Jones, Clark, Lamb, TMG, Pledger, and Cade. Depending on the development or even if Willis is still hear along with Allen, Taylor, and Honore, it could be one of Oklahoma's most talented teams top to bottom in 10-15 years.

Personally I don't see how this recruiting class is any more important than the next or last class. OU has already landed one big name recruit so it is not like this class could be a failure.

Honestly, if you go back to when OU completed the improvements for the practice courts, locker rooms, etc. recruiting has been substantially better. Sampson brought in three or four really highly classes (although the two best fell apart with transfers and being released). Capel has landed three pretty impressive classes.

I think the most important thing for recruiting is for OU and the alumni to continue to put money into the basketball program.

The biggest recruiting job is going to be made my Joe Castiglione in trying to keep Jeff Capel in Norman.

The biggest recruiting job is going to be made my Joe Castiglione in trying to keep Jeff Capel in Norman.

Hopefully, Duke decides to go after someone other than Jeff Capel when Coach K hangs it up.

Ah, you don't know that Chendog. I thought you were so anti-speculation on message boards.

Yes, this is his most important recruiting class. Solely based on expectation of 2010-11. If he's able to retain Tiny, you're looking at potentially having a core group of players that consist of Tiny, Fitz, Jones, Clark, Lamb, TMG, Pledger, and Cade. Depending on the development or even if Willis is still hear along with Allen, Taylor, and Honore, it could be one of Oklahoma's most talented teams top to bottom in 10-15 years.

It's interesting because each class is more important that the last. BLake was by far the most important recruit but the next class was really important because he needed talent around him. Now that OU did that the next class was even more important to continue the level of talent at a high level.

I agree with DM in that next year will be a team with a full compliment of Capel being established at OU and really stocking a roster. So it is really the most important one yet. But I will probably say the same thing about next years class. :)

Next years OU class will revolve around two players. A stand out PG and a standout forward. OU already has Peters committed. This class is where OU has the chance to win future championships. Especially if Henry leaves KU early and KU is not able to close on Payne, Selby, Lamb, or Knight and UT doesn't get Joeseph and Bradley is one and done.

Capel is building for the long term with Clark and Taylor and the short term with hopefully Lamb and Jones. That is the way to recruit.

Next years OU class will revolve around two players. A stand out PG and a standout forward. OU already has Peters committed. This class is where OU has the chance to win future championships. Especially if Henry leaves KU early and KU is not able to close on Payne, Selby, Lamb, or Knight and UT doesn't get Joeseph and Bradley is one and done.

Capel is building for the long term with Clark and Taylor and the short term with hopefully Lamb and Jones. That is the way to recruit.
Why do you say PG Dirty?
Assuming TMG lives up to expectations OU is set at PG for the next 4 years and I believe TJ Taylor would be a good back up PG for him. Depending on how this class rounds out it might be best to get two bigs as we would be losing Tiny and Orlando leaving Fitz, Barry, Hardrick and possibly T Jones (fingers crossed) as the only size on the roster. Even though Jones seems like he could have a good chance at being one and down.
The future of the back for 2011 (TMG, Willis, Pledger, Taylor, Clark, Lamb, again fingers crossed.) looks much better than the front court.

Because standout PGs usually play backup for two years. Collins sat for two years behind Chalmers and Robinson. Larry Drew sat behind Lawson. Bledsoe will sit behind Wall. Also, realistically, there's a good chance for attrition. I doubt OU waits till 2012 to sign another true PG.

I don't think it's real accurate to say Collins sat for 2 years behind Robinson and Chalmers. He averaged 23 minutes per game both years.

I think the real issue is that OU needs more than one PG or a couple guys who are more combo guard types.

I think this class is really important and the next one is too because it can cement OU as a consistent Top 3 team in the Big 12. Otherwise they may take a step back every couple years rather than being up with UT and KU every year.

There's no reason to believe it won't happen.

Back