Chalmers and Beasley give Big12 a black eye

Seymore Cox

Reaction score
First they have the weed and sex party during Rookie Orientation, and not this.

Heat rookies were fined repeatedlyComment Email Print Share ESPN.com news services

Miami Heat forward Michael Beasley and point guard Mario Chalmers were fined repeatedly for minor violations of team rules during their rookie season, the South Florida Sun-Sentinel reported.

Beasley

Chalmers

Coach Erik Spoelstra said the fines were not for major violations of team rules, such as missing or being late to practice, according to the report. He declined to provide more details of what the players were fined for, how much they were fined or how often they were penalized.

"There's other things, dress code, things of that nature," Spoelstra said, according to the newspaper. "Part of being an NBA basketball player is being accountable at all times."

Beasley and Chalmers' rookie seasons got off to a rocky start before they ever played a game, as both were fined and thrown out of the NBA's rookie orientation camp for violating its rules. While the Heat's fines were not on the level of the $50,000 and $20,000 Beasley and Chalmers paid respectively for that incident, they accumulated to the point that team staffers spoke to both players about the money coming out of their paychecks, according to the report.

Beasley, who spent one season at Kansas State before becoming the No. 2 overall pick in the NBA draft, said the deductions from his paycheck opened his eyes, according to the report.

"You're upset at first ... but then you think, 'All right,' and then you remember. But it is what it is," he said, according to the report.

Chalmers said his rookie year was an on-the-job education. "We're just first-year players. We're just learning the ropes," he said of his and Beasley's experience, according to the report. "Some things we didn't know; some things we did know. At the same time, it's a learning process. So you learn and you learn about your mistakes and you don't do them again."

Beasley needs to choose who he hangs out with better. Hanging with guys like Chalmers will derail his career.

Both of them, especially Beasley need to grow up. Beasley is too talented to waste away like he has so far.

Both of them, especially Beasley need to grow up. Beasley is too talented to waste away like he has so far.

So far? He averages 14 and 5 as a rookie.

His last 3 playoff games:
18 and 5
22 and 15
17 and 7

He is doing just fine for a first year player.

So far? He averages 14 and 5 as a rookie.

His last 3 playoff games:
18 and 5
22 and 15
17 and 7

He is doing just fine for a first year player.

Ok, good point, still, I think he can be a lot better if he dedicates himself.

I got laughed at last year when I said Beasley was Glenn Big Dog Robinson all over again. Nobody is laughing now. Overrated.

I got laughed at last year when I said Beasley was Glenn Big Dog Robinson all over again. Nobody is laughing now. Overrated.

wrong.

the rest of the board will join in next year. they were a year slow to laugh at you for claiming martin couldn't coach too.

This is what happens when you let a Jayhawk and a Wildcat share a room in the enticing city of Miami.

It be like Crockett and Tubbs but I can't which one is wearing the loafers without socks.

wrong.

the rest of the board will join in next year. they were a year slow to laugh at you for claiming martin couldn't coach too.

Beasley numbers suffer somewhat from playing alongside Wade. He would have bigger numbers with a lesser team. However, his weakness have been exposed. He can't get points in the paint like he did in college. He's really a tweener as far as position is concerned. Alot of times we label people tweeners based on height, but we really should base it on game. He's not physical enough for the post and can't guard the SFs. Jump shooting is his biggest attribute.

wrong.

What's Martin done to prove me wrong? Still can't get over how much his Beasley/Walker team under achieved. That team had so much talent and just wasted it because Martin had no discipline and let the players run over him. Time and time again you'd see the players yelling at each and Martin just watched. No respect, sorry. He failed to get KSU in the tourney this year as well.

I bet more then those rookies get fined throughout the season. Didn't see much glaring on the story

Back