Coach Capel radio interview (with recap)

Re: Coach on with Al shortly...

Look, I don't disagree, that is just what I thought he had said. Also, the zone rotations do get more advanced. I think he was saying that in high school and AAU they had been running almost entirely man D.

"Gotta value the ball better. Gotta play with more energy all of the time. I think those guys are too cool sometimes. Cool is diving on the floor, cool is taking a charge and diving for loose balls. That's cool to me. I think some of our guys have the wrong idea of what's cool."

This is so true - and the one drawback to getting guys that were such "studs" in high school that they didn't need to worry about any of the smaller things, diving for lose balls, taking a charge, hell, playing defense.

I like our young guys but there is something to be said for Tim Heskets and Corey Brewers getting floor burns fighting for loose balls.

Re: Coach on with Al shortly...

How have they not played zone defense?
Don't you learn zone pretty much before you really learn man-to-man in little league?

One way to tell if your kid has a decent youth league coach is to look at the defense he or she teaches. If they teach man to man, you might have a good coach.

Thanks guys for tag teaming it and giving us the skinny on the interview. I'm glad our coach is challenging our players this way. We've got to pick it up. I really think Tiny and TMG are capable of being cool in the way that Coach Capel describes it. I hope that we improve on our weaknesses tomorrow night. BOOMER SOONER BABY!!!

"Gotta value the ball better. Gotta play with more energy all of the time. I think those guys are too cool sometimes. Cool is diving on the floor, cool is taking a charge and diving for loose balls. That's cool to me. I think some of our guys have the wrong idea of what's cool."

This is so true - and the one drawback to getting guys that were such "studs" in high school that they didn't need to worry about any of the smaller things, diving for lose balls, taking a charge, hell, playing defense.

I like our young guys but there is something to be said for Tim Heskets and Corey Brewers getting floor burns fighting for loose balls.

North Carolina and Michigan State had guys hustling and getting on the floor. If we want to be the best we have to play like the best play.

One of the most telling parts was when Al asked about signing another player, Jeff paused, laughed and said we'll sign quite few.

One of the most telling parts was when Al asked about signing another player, Jeff paused, laughed and said we'll sign quite few.

Telling, that we will be okay in recruiting? Or telling, that people will be leaving for various reasons?

Back