Coach of the Year

Soonerinkc

Reaction score
Okay...Self gets it...why?

What is your criteria?

For me it's taking a team and getting the most out of them. I'm sorry, UNC, Duke, KU, etc..all those blue bloods...yes it takes coaching, BUT they have all stars to begin with. Yes, part of that is managing egos, but at the collegiate level that seems a bit easier than the pros.

I'd take a coach that got the absolute best out of his team...yeah, I'm a homer, but Kruger would be on that list...heck even Boeheim might be in there

Okay...Self gets it...why?

What is your criteria?

For me it's taking a team and getting the most out of them. I'm sorry, UNC, Duke, KU, etc..all those blue bloods...yes it takes coaching, BUT they have all stars to begin with. Yes, part of that is managing egos, but at the collegiate level that seems a bit easier than the pros.

I'd take a coach that got the absolute best out of his team...yeah, I'm a homer, but Kruger would be on that list...heck even Boeheim might be in there

Yeah, I def think Kruger should be in the discussion, and agree getting the most out of your guys and blue blood programs get the best recruits... However, I actually think this year was Self's best coaching job. Has some high end recruits, but his team was dominant in what is considered the toughest league. And I'm sure that winning his 12th straight big 12 championship has something to do with it as well... Not saying it should be part of the decision, but it's hard to separate.

I didn't hear a single talking head this season mention that some of Self's 12 conference championships were shared ones. It's still an impressive feat, but tell the whole story.

I think Lon might have been in the running if we'd at least tied for the conference title (or maybe even if we'd won the Big 12 tourney). Since we did neither, not so much.

None of these awards should be voted on until the season is over. Right now, the voters look like idiots.

I didn't hear a single talking head this season mention that some of Self's 12 conference championships were shared ones. It's still an impressive feat, but tell the whole story.

I think Lon might have been in the running if we'd at least tied for the conference title (or maybe even if we'd won the Big 12 tourney). Since we did neither, not so much.

whatever dude...lol

so winning conf championship is YOUR criteria? since you mentioned that? I asked what was YOUR criteria, I said mine...

I don't have just one criterion. I think that for a coach in Lon's position, whose team was expected to have a big year, to get consideration for an award like this one, one that is voted on prior to the NCAA tourney, his team has to measurably exceed expectations, and I don't think the Sooners did that. OU was, what, seventh or eighth in the preseason top 25? And we finished seventh in the polls heading into the tourney. We didn't, during the regular season and conference tourney, make a big leap over last season.

The best way for this year's team to have done that would have been to, at the very least, tie KU for the conference title, but the Sooners didn't. They weren't that far off, but all the national press knows is that we came in third.

In the tourney, we've exceeded expectations by making it to the Final Four, and we can obviously exceed expectations even more so by winning on Saturday and possibly even winning it all -- but the votes, for this award at least, are already in.

I agree with MsProud that these awards should be voted on after the season, but I'm sure the feeling is that they wouldn't receive very much buzz then.

I think Bill Self deserved the award. He's had several more talented teams than this one. Going into February, I thought it was Fran McCaffery's to lose...but Iowa faded so badly down the stretch that he lost it.

Back