Coale love and hate

Not cool Spock.

And Sweetest some will never be happy anywhere.

Wow! This is a big pity party. It's like watching a family fight at Thanksgiving dinner. Forgive me, I'm just a fan - a big fan of Sherri and the Sooners. The team is going to have some bad years and is going to have some great years. I care a lot and I grieve losses, especially bad losses, but basically I'm a laid back person.

Wow! This is a big pity party. It's like watching a family fight at Thanksgiving dinner. Forgive me, I'm just a fan - a big fan of Sherri and the Sooners. The team is going to have some bad years and is going to have some great years. I care a lot and I grieve losses, especially bad losses, but basically I'm a laid back person.
Not a family fight by any means, I'm a fan of the Sooners too.

She already makes ~1/3 of what her male counterpart makes.

True Sherri does make only 43% of Lon's compensation and the differential if gender basis is grossly wrong. However coaches salaries are market based hence Sherri is making 260% more than Patty Gasso who has won 3 national championships to Sherri's zero. But in relative terms the best I can determine Sherri receives a top 5 salary ($1.3 mil) relative to her peers making less than only Geno Auriemma, Muffet McGraw, Kim Mulkey and Tara Vanderveer (educated guess on McGraw,Mulkey and Vanderdeer) and tied with Matthew Mitchell. Lon while being paid about ($3,0 mil) is paid a top 11-15 salary relative to his peers. My guess is Patty is the top paid softball coach in the country, deservedly so. Also Patty makes about 2.5 times what Mark Williams, men's gymnastics coach, makes and Mark has won 7 national championships and been runner up 7 times in the last 17 years.

All athletic coaches are overpaid including Bob Stoops. Unfortunately the market dictates their compensation in general. Fourteen of the 20 highest paid University of Oklahoma employees work for the athletic department. Twelve of them make more than the president of the university while only one academician makes more than Boren. It is for certain that these athletic employees are not 70% of the most productive and valuable employees of the university. But it is what it is.

However some would consider paying a coach one of the top 5 salaries in the country while consistently getting performance for 7 consecutive years commensurate with a top 20 program as excessive compensation. I concur.

Structuring compensation for all coaches based on perform achievement with a larger bonus based compensation package and a smaller guarantee is a more practical method of paying coaches. Such a structure would have to offer higher compensation potential for meeting performance standards than would a high guaranteed compensation plan. But it does a better job of insuring the school get the performance they are paying to receive.

Several top MBB coaches are compensated in this manner where incentive are approximately 25% of their total compensation like West Virginia's Bob Huggin, Texas' Shaka Smart, Indiana's Tom Crean and Arizona's Sean Miller. Apply this methodology to Sherri and her compensation might be a salary of $900K and a potential bonus of $300-$400K. Max compensation $1.3 million.

The business world has repeated shown incentive compensation to better drive performance in those positions where performance standards can be quantified. And it is for certain that athletic performance can be quantified.

http://oklahomawatchdata.org/university-salaries/760

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/mens-basketball/coach/

http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/col...cks-up-against-karen-aston-bill-fennelly-more

http://www.livestrong.com/article/389546-salaries-for-the-top-womens-basketball-coaches/

http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/col...r-stack-up-with-kristy-curry-dawn-staley-more

Last edited:
Please don't everyone build some huge expectation that Ana is going to come in and create a national championship team next year. That is NOT going to happen. If you think so, then explain why she could not even lead her team to a state championship this year.

Oklahoma HS state does not start until tomorrow. In addition, the sport of basketball takes a lot more than one person to win. Especially, when you are talking about a state title.

I also have wondered about preparation and planning. I admit I'm not sure if those are the actual issues, but you can't help but wonder. It's interesting that we have actually done better than many expected this year and yet we are generally frustrated here at the end of the conference season.

The Oral Roberts loss was a message that this team would never be consistent. It was inexcusable to lose that one, and it hurts our record to this day. Many pushed it to the back of their minds - but it still happened.

I would expect that no one is spending much time in self improvement. You must shoot enormous numbers of shots on your own to be a dependable shooter.

Please don't everyone build some huge expectation that Ana is going to come in and create a national championship team next year. That is NOT going to happen. If you think so, then explain why she could not even lead her team to a state championship this year.

I don't know if Ana will be a leader or not and be a key to our eventual success or not, but you might want to re-think your statement about the state championship. How could she not lead when the Class 6A tournament doesn't even start until tomorrow? Maybe your are psychic!!

Could not imagine sweetest isn't familiar with OK postseason but maybe because she saw Ana lost in post season makes her believe she cannot make state run - as long as you don't lose first game regionals you can lose one and still make to state
Regular season - Regionals- Area - State ( 8 teams each class)

Attachments

• IMG_4639.jpg
    IMG_4639.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 12
Sorry guys, I was thinking about the past 2 years.

I have high hopes she will win one this go around.

But my point was that even a great player does not always guarantee a championship, so let's not put too much weight on her shoulders before she even gets on campus.

I think if they can mentor Nancy effectively, and with what I think Chelsea can deliver, Ana may be the key to a good run over the next few years. Only time will tell.

Sorry guys, I was thinking about the past 2 years.

I have high hopes she will win one this go around.

But my point was that even a great player does not always guarantee a championship, so let's not put too much weight on her shoulders before she even gets on campus.

I think if they can mentor Nancy effectively, and with what I think Chelsea can deliver, Ana may be the key to a good run over the next few years. Only time will tell.

That's okay, She helped take down Edmond Santa Fe today, maybe she read your post and it motivated her.;) Now on to the Finals tomorrow.

I agree with some of the OP.

I think coaches after 20 yrs get comfortable...it's natural. Unfortunately with women's ball the talent pool is smaller and the gap is bigger.

I just look at some of BU's kids. Very athletic, energy, maybe a little more "bad girl" attitude...I look at OU's kids, they all seem a little more..."nice girl" type.:ez-roll:

That may seem unfair, bad, whatever...it's just my perception.

SC was given the reins when the school was going to drop women's ball. She has done a great job...but that doesn't mean she can just sit back and relax.

I do love her "family" atmosphere...I remember 1 recruit said Coale told her, I'm not going to write you every day...I want you to come to OU, here is what I have. I don't have time, I've got a family, etc. Now, maybe that is old school and doesn't work but I did appreciate that.

Thing is, like OU fball, top talent wants to go to top schools. OU isn't there right now.

Hate Mulkey all ya want but her bio speaks for itself:

The former Olympic Gold medalist has twice guided the Lady Bear basketball program to the pinnacle of women's basketball, the 2005 and 2012 NCAA national championships, 15 NCAA Tournament appearances, 16, 20-win seasons, 14, 25-win efforts, seven, 30-win campaigns and an NCAA record 40 victories and a perfect 2011-12 season. In addition, over the past 13 seasons, Mulkey has led the Lady Bears to three Final Four appearances (2005, '10, `12) and a Big 12 record 15 Big 12 Conference titles.

SC was headed on that path a few years ago. Think she can get it going but needs some change.

From the games I have seen Choctaw doesn't have a team good enough to win the state championship. Maybe they will but I would be surprised if they did.

I think Anna is a very good prospect but she isn't good enough to lead us to a national championship next year.

In the game I have seen her coach does nothing to get her open shots that she can make. She usually creates her own shots. Meanwhile others are jacking up shots with abandon. Similar to what goes on with Brady Manek.

I think Anna is more prepared to make a Div I impact than Manek. He has to gain strength and learn to play hard. The speed of the game will be a bigger problem for him if he plays like he does at Harrah.

First, Ana just did win a State Championship. This was the first time she has been in the finals. Been in the semi-finals as a freshman and sophomore.

Even Courtney couldn't lead us to a title.

But, I do like our chances of being a lot better team with Ana, especially with Ana and Shaina. Ana fits something that we really needed this year, some help with shots other than at the post.

Vivi, Maddie, Ana, Chelsea, Gabbi---there are some people there that can make some things happen. I think we will find that Shaina is an explosion waiting to join. Nancy with a bunch of shooters?

If you have a bunch who can shoot, move, and create, you don't have to create your own shots from nothing. You have to use your movement along with the fact that the defense is covering someone else to get a shot. Vivi was triple-covered in some games. Anyone driving into the lane was double or triple covered. If there is someone who can hit from even fifteen to pass to, you have an offense. Our problem was that we had to pass it to a wide open shooter, and they tended to be only about 30% from three, not much better from two.

I suspect that Ana and Chelsea will be a major step up from Peyton and Gioya, and Shaina (compared to DRob by Sherri) should be a huge step up from TT. We now have seven---I think.

Will Gileysa, LaNesia, Mandy, McKenna, or EJ step up to join them?

FWIW - I absolutely don't want a team of "bad girls" at OU, no matter what that means to the won/loss record. I remember too well the "bad guys" that OU's men's team had under Capel that year. They had three McDonald's All-Americans and won only 13 games, and it apparently wasn't a big secret that they all had chemistry issues. So being "bad" isn't necessarily good.

FWIW - I absolutely don't want a team of "bad girls" at OU, no matter what that means to the won/loss record. I remember too well the "bad guys" that OU's men's team had under Capel that year. They had three McDonald's All-Americans and won only 13 games, and it apparently wasn't a big secret that they all had chemistry issues. So being "bad" isn't necessarily good.

I agree!

First, Ana just did win a State Championship. This was the first time she has been in the finals. Been in the semi-finals as a freshman and sophomore.

Even Courtney couldn't lead us to a title.

But, I do like our chances of being a lot better team with Ana, especially with Ana and Shaina. Ana fits something that we really needed this year, some help with shots other than at the post.

Vivi, Maddie, Ana, Chelsea, Gabbi---there are some people there that can make some things happen. I think we will find that Shaina is an explosion waiting to join. Nancy with a bunch of shooters?

If you have a bunch who can shoot, move, and create, you don't have to create your own shots from nothing. You have to use your movement along with the fact that the defense is covering someone else to get a shot. Vivi was triple-covered in some games. Anyone driving into the lane was double or triple covered. If there is someone who can hit from even fifteen to pass to, you have an offense. Our problem was that we had to pass it to a wide open shooter, and they tended to be only about 30% from three, not much better from two.

I suspect that Ana and Chelsea will be a major step up from Peyton and Gioya, and Shaina (compared to DRob by Sherri) should be a huge step up from TT. We now have seven---I think.

Will Gileysa, LaNesia, Mandy, McKenna, or EJ step up to join them?

IMHO...CParis and the entire team (especially the 2005-06 and 2008-09 teams) did everything they could as players to try and win a NC. What they didn't have were coaches who were prepared and willing to do their jobs.

There was not any reason why they should not have beat Stanford in 2006. If SC had gone with what was working (a bigger front court) than trusting her juniors and seniors (by her own admission), they could have more than likely won that game and based on the tournament bracket, had a great opportunity for a NC. UCONN was down that year (compared to other years but better than 90% of Div. I that year) and no one in the FF really had anyone who could match the Paris twins in the post. Maryland/Friese won that year and the Paris twins had been giving KToliver and CColeman grief for years in AAU play, actually winning the 14 & Under AAU NC against their team (Fairfax, VA). That was the biggest coaching mistake (IMHO) that SC ever made. Then in 2009, Walls/Louisville just out coached her. Furthermore, put the ball in CParis' hands to win a game. NStevenson was a good player, but she did not have the winning history (mental and statistical) of CParis. If you were going to use CParis as a decoy on that last play...then AParis has to get the ball. It worked with every team they ever played with; AAU and school. BUT that game should have never come down to the last play. Again, SC was out coached.

Plus, lest we forget, Bubba Paris made it crystal clear to all of us for saying what everyone else (except you Syb...LOL) was thinking. It may have come across to some as a "hahahaha", but SC knew it wasn't. Probably was not the first time he told her...

"This is their year,” Bubba Paris said. "And let me be clear about this again — my daughters have contributed. They’ve helped them recruit great players. They’ve brought in good people.”

But wait, there’s more.

Bubba moved to the edge of his seat and looked right into the camera.

"If they don’t win this year,” he said, his volume rising, "it’s your fault, Sherri Coale.”

So Syb, you're wrong about CParis' inability to "lead" a team to a NC. She couldn't play and coach from the bench at the same time. Everyone, especially SC had a role to play. The players did all that they could! And in hindsight, considering where the program is today, Bubba was on to something early on. Winners understand how it's done. I guess you can "lead" a horse/coach to water, but you can't make her drink. Just saying...

http://newsok.com/article/3354750

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_NCAA_Division_I_Women's_Basketball_Tournament

Last edited:

I don't think anyone is expecting SC to recruit from juvenile correctional programs ONLY and I doubt that she's ever visited one to see if there might be a diamond in the rough. Heck! She's admitted that she doesn't like recruiting, period, whether it's in Thousand Oaks (AOlajuwon), Piedmont (Paris') or South Chicago (AThompson). If she recruited, coached and developed players with the same guidelines as some of her peers (past and present) named Vandeveer, Geno, Summit (RIP), Mulkey, Aston, Staley (the new US Olympic Coach), etc...she would not be in the mediocre boat that she's in today.

ON THE OTHER HAND...SC openly confesses her faith through Christianity. I agree with many of her concepts and beliefs. Yes, any program should have foundation principles that are directly linked to integrity, accountability, honesty, decency and other high moral standards. At the same time, a coach has to be culturally savvy enough to recruit and manage GIFTED AND TALENTED student-athletes from all sects of our society. The world (from a Christian perspective) is not going to change, but as Christians, it is our responsibility to live a life that is an example of what we believe with the goal/hope of others following us in our faith. Jesus didn't preach to the choir. With all of that said...I don't know SC or what she lives on a day to day basis. I can only go by what she has said publicly. IF she is not secure in meeting with parents and student-athletes from what some would consider a less than desirable neighborhood, then she should hire an assistant that is culturally diverse enough to mentor the rest of the staff, then go out and recruit kids from tougher neighborhoods and commit to mentoring them through the game of basketball while giving them an opportunity to utilize their gifts and talents. And that's not to say that every player on the team has to be straight out of Watts or South Chicago. Balance is key.

If the purpose statement of the team has not changed...

"What is your philosophy of working with young women?
If I answered this one completely, it would be a position paper, and I’ve written my last of those for Oklahoma Christian!
Seriously, I suppose the most succinct answer I could provide would be encompassed by our team’s purpose statement: “Our aim is to produce people literate about the full array of human achievement so that they might know what it means to do anything well.”

...then IMHO, SC and her assistants need to develop a strategic plan with action items that challenge them and quit sitting on the laurels. SC seems to be stuck in her comfort zone and will not be moved!Again...just saying!

http://www.christianchronicle.org/article/a-conversation-with-sherri-coale

Last edited:
I agree just because you live in what some call a "bad neighborhood" doesn't mean your a bad person. If that is the case at OU now then I can see why SC can not bring in some of these talented players and never will. And if I were a parent of one of this young ladies I would tell SC to hit the road when/if she showed up at my home.

Back