Conference Record

I'd bite your hand off if you told me we could go 9-9 in conference this season, which would get us to 21 wins on the season. We haven't won more than 20 games since our Final Four season, so I'm desperate!

There will certainly be ebbs and flows to conference play and I firmly believe our defensive play will keep us in most of the toughest games. But it really is going to be such a grind, so I don't want to get my hopes up too much.

trying to not be too optimistic, so i am going with 9-9. i know we will be playing well in february heading into the tournaments. definitely a sweet 16 contender.

If we’d have beaten UNC my expectations would have skyrocketed. As it stands I still think we have an above .500 conf record. Unsure how far above.

prob is we didn't hit our wide open 3's. I know...it comes and goes. Against Monmouth is it didn't matter...against B12 teams it will.

I know we won't be 12th...preseason pick. Honestly doubt the B12 Champ will have less than 4 losses. Stacked league again.

9-9 is a huge improvement and possible.

Man....revisiting this thread is painful. I saw signs of chinks in the armor around the new year, but I thought they were correctable and wouldn't fester into larger issues in conference play. I couldn't have been more wrong. We are starting to see more of the same of what we've seen the last two years. Our slow starts out of the gate are now a trend. Our lack of ability to consistently play with high basketball IQ and make the smart plays are part of the "little things" category this team now appears to be flawed in. The offense, outside of the slow start, was really good yesterday. But not making FTs and losing containment on defense far too often yesterday are yet another example of this team seemingly being averse to playing complimentary basketball in conference. And while I do think this team is fairly talented, the margin of error is still relatively small in this conference because of the competition.

Could things trend back the right direction at some point?....sure I guess. But recent history says that is likely NOT to happen. If it is to happen, IMO, there needs to be more tinkering with the lineup and filtering out who needs more minutes (and likewise less minutes). I have some ideas on that, but I'm not the coach. We haven't even hit the toughest part of our schedule yet, but with the way this team is playing right now, this group will be extremely fortunate to win 8 games in conference. And if we don't get to 8 wins, it's pearl-clutching time on Selection Sunday.

My pre-season prediction:

We hit the best-case scenario. 12-1 (11-1 I guess I had it at)

I think we can have a better record than 3-7 for the H/A series.

View attachment 960

KP has us projected to go 22-9 (10-8) in conf.

I see us going:

ISU - W, L
TCU - L
Kansas - L, W
WVU - W
Cincy - W, W
Texas - W, L
Tech - W
KSU - W
UCF - W
BYU - L
OSU - W, W
Baylor - L
Houston - L

11-7 with a tad bit of hopium, could easily be 9-9 with the Kansas series and splitting with Cincy.
So far, I was wrong on Tech and Texas...Still 9-9 viable with my predictions, like I said realistically.

Back