Conference Record

Boom Soon

Reaction score
I, like everbody, is very pleased with the non-conference record. If one would have told me, last March, that OU would be 12-1 going into 2024 I would have been shocked. But, it's conference season time and that is a whole other beast. Thought I would start a conference record prediction thread. I personally think this team will have a better February than January. I forsee maybe a rough start but then finishing the season on a very strong note. Mainly because I think the team is still gelling and I think their best ball is yet to come. But, one thing is for certain: they HAVE to defend home court, starting with Iowa State. I can live with losing to Kansas, Houston and maybe Baylor at home, but that should be it.

Worst case scenario- 7-11 (typical Sooner conference record, and a bubble team)

Best case scenario- 10-8 (top half of the conference and an absolute lock for the tourney)

Hopefully 2024 will be a fun basketball for the Sooners!

Hoping for 10-8, 12-6 seems like an upside goal while 8-10 is downside scenario within reason.

If OU can win 2/3 to start, optimism is really flowing on my end.

I think we can win 10-11 conference games but we can’t drop any winnable games like we always seem to do. We need to win some road games, which are never easy.

Would love 0.500 ball during conference play. That would be a 21-10 record prior to conference tournament. At that point, they would be playing for a seed.

I'm an optimist by nature so I'll go 12-6. The 6 losses being - BYU, @Baylor, Kansas, @Iowa St, Houston, @Texas. Yes, I do think we get a win in Allen Fieldhouse on the way out to the SEC. Porter has almost won there twice with great gameplans!

I’m in on 11-7 and 12-6 is possible. I think this team can win road games and home environment is going to be good. Driving down for the game on Saturday vs ISU and it is a huge game to get us started in right direction. Can’t wait.

Feel like we are better than anyone except Houston and KU but capable of winning any game. Not saying it will end up that way because schedule is cockeyed and other teams may make a run. Counting on only 2 home losses and bonus would be only 1. 5-4 on road would be incredible but would be very happy with 4-5.

If we could just lose once at home then 3-6 still still gets us to 11-7 and that would be just fine. We need to get back to former years where home court is 10 points.

I also have Texas tickets and have my eye on KU and Houston. Also hoping to go the game @KU as usual. Hoping a lot of people feel the way I do about what they’re seeing and get to a game or two even if it is 5+ hours.

My pre-season prediction:

Re: 23-24 Schedule Thread Full Non-Conference + a Field House Game

I love the optimism.

It looks like we are guaranteed 7 wins.

So, fluff schedule, we go (7-0)

I had us going 3-7 in the H/A conf series
I had us going 3-1 in the home only conf games
I had us going 2-2 in the away only conf games

(8-10) in conference, which puts us at (15-10)

That leaves 5 games of:
(Nov 23-24 Rady Children's Invitational)
(Game 1) Iowa – 41
*USC - 45
*Seton Hall - 58

(Dec 5) Providence - 40
(Dec 9) Arkansas – 22
(Dec 20) UNC – 43

Best case, 4-1. Worst case, 1-4. I see it being 3-2, conservatively.

18-12 is my season prediction. I hope we outperform though. Much better than 15-17.

We hit the best-case scenario. 12-1 (11-1 I guess I had it at)

I think we can have a better record than 3-7 for the H/A series.

1704207700460.png

KP has us projected to go 22-9 (10-8) in conf.

I see us going:

ISU - W, L
TCU - L
Kansas - L, W
WVU - W
Cincy - W, W
Texas - W, L
Tech - W
KSU - W
UCF - W
BYU - L
OSU - W, W
Baylor - L
Houston - L

11-7 with a tad bit of hopium, could easily be 9-9 with the Kansas series and splitting with Cincy.

I am going with 12-6 (very difficult but going for the gusto). To do that we almost have to win these 6 homes games - ISU, WV, TT, BYU, OSU and Cincinnati. These two road games - UCF, OSU. Two out of 4 roads games - either Cinc, KSU, ISU, TCU and then 2 wins against the top six games - TU twice, KU twice, Houston and Baylor.

3 weeks ago, I thought this was a Sweet 16 team....now not so much. I guess I've seen enough chinks in our armor lately that it has me second-guessing how good this team is (and can be). What I expected to be really good non-con wins (USC, Iowa, Arkansas) earlier this season.....well, those teams have ended up crapping the bed to one degree or another. Combine that with our recent 1st half struggles (and some into the 2nd halves) the last four games, I feel like this team is out of synch. I can't put my finger on it because it's a combination of little things (details)that have been poor at times every game recently. With more data points now, I see OU as a 9-9 or possibly 10-8 team in conference. Could this change?....absolutely. Also, I would much rather be playing our best ball in mid-to-late February rather than early January. The key is avoiding losses to teams below you and winning the games "you should win". If this team does that, then 10 wins in conference is realistically attainable. Again, we need to win the majority of these types of toss-up games (@TCU, @Cincy, @KSU, and @UCF....and then home games with BYU, KU, and Iowa State). That is our path to a nice seed.

3 weeks ago, I thought this was a Sweet 16 team....now not so much.

I didn't think we were a top 16 team yet, due to some offensive efficiencies (mostly 3 point shooting). Actually, was hoping Uzan would be much improved in that area. But I still think we can be a top 20-25 team which gives us a good shot at a 4-6 seed. Which then would give us a 50/50 chance at the sweet 16. Hopefully your right and we start playing our best next month or so.

3 weeks ago, I thought this was a Sweet 16 team....now not so much. I guess I've seen enough chinks in our armor lately that it has me second-guessing how good this team is (and can be). What I expected to be really good non-con wins (USC, Iowa, Arkansas) earlier this season.....well, those teams have ended up crapping the bed to one degree or another. Combine that with our recent 1st half struggles (and some into the 2nd halves) the last four games, I feel like this team is out of synch. I can't put my finger on it because it's a combination of little things (details)that have been poor at times every game recently. With more data points now, I see OU as a 9-9 or possibly 10-8 team in conference. Could this change?....absolutely. Also, I would much rather be playing our best ball in mid-to-late February rather than early January. The key is avoiding losses to teams below you and winning the games "you should win". If this team does that, then 10 wins in conference is realistically attainable. Again, we need to win the majority of these types of toss-up games (@TCU, @Cincy, @KSU, and @UCF....and then home games with BYU, KU, and Iowa State). That is our path to a nice seed.

I couldn't agree more with this assessment. The last few games have made me a little uncomfortable as well. I think maybe it's the ptsd from the last couple of years, but it is also uncertainty about knowing we are definitely more athletic than past years, but is it enough. I think we find out quickly this Saturday. If we lose to ISU at home, it may be more of the same. We need to win this first game, it feels big to me.

Agree here. I would have actually said farther than sweet 16. Now I do not. A coach has fear that you peak too early. I wonder if that happened. Since UNC we have just been off. Everything came easy before that and we were such a good team. We don't seem to have the chemistry we had. I belive they can get that back but the last few weeks have not been pretty at all. Some great individual performances here and there but not team wise. It doesn't seem like we have the same tenacity on D that we had early on. Maybe we are more of a focus for opposing teams now. Maybe we got a littl ebig headed with the high ranking. Who knows. I trust Porter to figure it out and I hope that we can finish top four of this league. I am nitpicking a liitle bit but that is what we do from these seats. But coaches do that too. Its okay. we all want them performing at their highest capabilities. What Moser did with this seasons transfers and returners should garner national attention to his abilities as a coach also. It has been remarkable whatthey have accomplished so far.

Many ebbs and flows during the season.

Started strong but have hit a wall the last 3 games.

We will get it going again.

I’m saying 11-7 in conference.

Agree. I remember watching OU play at KU 2 years ago, a game OU probably should have won. My KU friend and I both walked out of there saying KU was not going to challenge for the natty. Wrong.

Not saying OU is going to challenge for it this year either, don’t think we will. But a few lack luster halves isn’t going to knock me off my optimistic horse yet either. I still think we are Baker Mayfield dangerous.

What gives me hope after the Monmouth game is that we appear to have an extra gear. When we turned it on we blew them out. It would have been a 30 point win if we hit our wide open threes.

What gives me hope after the Monmouth game is that we appear to have an extra gear. When we turned it on we blew them out. It would have been a 30 point win if we hit our wide open threes.
the OU defense in that game is what keeps me very encouraged

This team is playing very well, has bought in, and still has a lot more potential to unlock. 12-6 baby!

Back