couple of thoughts

chewy75

Reaction score
I think this team can run a lot of pick and roll and pick and pop Tiny and fitz can both shoot the ball and willie and tmg are great off picks. I also think this team will be much better against zones because the guards can really get to the rim and we should be a better shooting team. I am worried about interior d and rebounding. One last thing Tiny has lost more weight than Jared from subway. He looks like a beast

I think this team can run a lot of pick and roll and pick and pop Tiny and fitz can both shoot the ball and willie and tmg are great off picks. I also think this team will be much better against zones because the guards can really get to the rim and we should be a better shooting team. I am worried about interior d and rebounding. One last thing Tiny has lost more weight than Jared from subway. He looks like a beast

You and I share a lot of the same thoughts. I was talking to a buddy a couple of nights ago about how good this team could be off the pick and roll. Most people don't realize how good of a midrange shooter that Drew Fitzgerald can be.

Rebounding and interior D really worry me too. We have got to gang rebound and that means guys like Crock, Willie, and Cade have to really help out on the glass.

I totally concur with both of you guys thoughts. The pick and roll does seem very suitable for this years SOONERS. We know Fitz will give the effort to rebound. We know Tiny can score the basketball. The question is. Will our man Tiny buy in to posting down low and will he rebound well. If he does those two things we will be in good shape. I really think Ryan Wright might surprise all of us this year. BOOMER SOONER BABY!!!

I think the Ryan Wright buys into his role as being a rebounding machine, and possibly gets quite a few garbage buckets.

Totally agree with Chewy and BT about what this team will bring to the floor on offense.

It should be noted that three of our top four perimeter shooters are back from last season, plus Ray Willis, who came in with the reputation of being a good shooter. Add Pledger (50% average from three his junior and senior seasons in high school) and TMG (runner-up in the MickeyD three point shooting competition) and Tiny, who hit 6 of 9 three pointers in a game last year, and there is no reason to believe this will not be a much better shooting team.

What I like more than anything, though, is how versatile newcomers like Pledger and TMG are in their ability to create their own shot off the dribble or pull up and hit short range jumpers. No one except Willie could do that consistently last year. Tiny and Fitz will not be easy match ups in that they can step out and shoot from the perimeter (Tiny to the three) or post defenders up down low.

I'm really excited about the make up of this team offensively. OU's opponents will have a heck of a time keeping us from scoring in a zone defense. I'm worried about our rebounding and how quickly we'll gel as a team on defense.

I totally agree on the concerns about defense and rebounding, but not as much on the concerns about interior scoring. Lots of college teams excel without much of an inside offensive game. It's a guard-oriented game in college.

Also, having not just a true point guard for the first time under Capel, but a very very good true point guard, is going to make a HUGE (positive) difference in the flow of the offense - both in the half-court set and getting easy buckets on the break. We are going from having basically no point guard to having a very very good one (in my opinion; obviously that can only be a prediction at this point).

Overall, I think we have more good scorers this year than we have had since the Tubbs era, so I don't worry about the offense. Defense and rebounding are the keys this year.

It's really easy to get pumped about OUr potential on offense. I'm not convinced that OUr defense will be in the same category. Rebounding is another category that is a big questionmark. Without those two, (and BOTH of them) I dont think we'll enjoy this season as much as we hope.

Back