Craziest box score I’ve ever seen

That reserve, Alonzo Verge, who went for 43 is from a Kansas juco that I was throwing a fit about last year, who didn't get any attention from OU. He was one of those guys that was clearly ready to play immediately at the high major level, but instead of heading over to Kansas and trying to get him they went 8,800 miles to Australia to give a scholarship to Garang who isn't ready to play. I spoke of him pretty extensively during the recruiting process last year.

But ya know what? No talent left in the juco ranks. Not like Bandoo, Mason Jones, Verge, etc would help OU and were all short car rides from campus... they just don't exist. They are figments of my imagination.

The light is turning on for him.. He scored 15, 20, and 43 in his last 3 games.

Only three players score, and the reserve scores 43 of their 56?

That is nuts.

That reserve, Alonzo Verge, who went for 43 is from a Kansas juco that I was throwing a fit about last year, who didn't get any attention from OU. He was one of those guys that was clearly ready to play immediately at the high major level, but instead of heading over to Kansas and trying to get him they went 8,800 miles to Australia to give a scholarship to Garang who isn't ready to play. I spoke of him pretty extensively during the recruiting process last year.

But ya know what? No talent left in the juco ranks. Not like Bandoo, Mason Jones, Verge, etc would help OU and were all short car rides from campus... they just don't exist. They are figments of my imagination.

The light is turning on for him.. He scored 15, 20, and 43 in his last 3 games.

43 in a blowout loss means nothing

It's crazy to have 10 guys play and not score a single point with any of them. No wonder they lost by 40. It was pretty ridiculous when we had like 6 or 7 guys play scoring a combined 3 points the other night.

The guy has had 2 good nights & last night was in a 40pt loss. His first 5 games he averaged 6 ppg on 25% shooting (even worse from 3) and they played: Colorado, Central Connecticut, Rider, San Francisco, & Louisiana.

The guy has had 2 good nights & last night was in a 40pt loss. His first 5 games he averaged 6 ppg on 25% shooting (even worse from 3) and they played: Colorado, Central Connecticut, Rider, San Francisco, & Louisiana.

I'm sure if he played for us and had a five-game stretch like that, everyone on the board would have been very patient...kind of like how people are reacting to JB's slump. :) Kidding aside, I guess it is just human nature for people to focus on the negatives with our own players/team while only seeing the good in other players.

Want to know what I don't want? A volume shooter shooting 42% from the field and 12% from 3. Guy is the exact kind of player that might put up some numbers, but makes you a significantly worse team. He's like a poor man's Kam McGusty, another guy who at surface level looks decent but has a disastrous effect on actually winning.

Want to know what I don't want? A volume shooter shooting 42% from the field and 12% from 3. Guy is the exact kind of player that might put up some numbers, but makes you a significantly worse team. He's like a poor man's Kam McGusty, another guy who at surface level looks decent but has a disastrous effect on actually winning.

He is 8 games into D1 basketball.... and has 43 against St. Marys, 15 against Georgia, 20 against Prairie View A&M, 11 against Rider, and 10 against Central Connecticut.

The coach, Bobby Hurley, said Verge is "perhaps the best offensive player I have ever coached"...

Other than Georgia (who is a bubble team), he hasn’t had a significant game.

Last edited:
He is 8 games into D1 basketball.... and has 43 against St. Marys, 15 against Georgia, 20 against Prairie View A&M, 11 against Rider, and 10 against Central Connecticut.

The coach, Bobby Hurley, said Verge is "perhaps the best offensive player I have ever coached"...

This is very simple math. If you are shooting 42% from the field and 12% from 3, you are hurting your team every time you shoot the ball. Inefficient volume shooters will kill your team.

This is very simple math. If you are shooting 42% from the field and 12% from 3, you are hurting your team every time you shoot the ball. Inefficient volume shooters will kill your team.

OU is in deep **** then.

Jamal Bienemy.... 27% from field, 13% from 3
Austin Reaves... 40% from field, 29% from 3
Alondes Williams... 44% from field, 18% from 3
Devion Harmon... 38% from field

OU is in deep **** then.

Thought that was obvious to everyone, but yes they are. This team is not good, and won't be unless Harmon and Bienemy get it going offensively.

OU is in deep **** then.

I mean, ya.. we are

That reserve, Alonzo Verge, who went for 43 is from a Kansas juco that I was throwing a fit about last year

It's kinda repetitive to mention that last part once you've already mentioned he played JUCO.

We aren’t a good shooting team. Hopefully guys will improve but it isn’t a strength for us.

We aren’t a good shooting team. Hopefully guys will improve but it isn’t a strength for us.

And we're not a good rebounding team. And we're average at best in terms of team defense, and offensive scoring in other ways except shooting.

Sounds like a really fun season ahead.

And we're not a good rebounding team. And we're average at best in terms of team defense, and offensive scoring in other ways except shooting.

Sounds like a really fun season ahead.

So how do you account for eight wins against a good schedule? Pure luck? If we don't do anything well and obviously are horribly coached according to so many, it's amazing we aren't 0-11. We must have gotten espresso lucky against the Minnesota team that beat number 2 and just boat raced the in-state team so many on this board would love to trade places with from a coaching standpoint.

Back