Current Events Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why don't you list them? The links are right there in the paragraph.

It's laughable that you think "antifa" (a loosely affiliated group of rich kids playing dressup) is more of a problem than a white supremacist group of violent incels.

Yep, I read through the sources. Typical liberal propaganda lol.

You're clowning yourself. The PROUD BOYS are RACISTS.

your own link says their official stance is they arent racist.

so try again.

Can you point to ONE source of the organization being racist?
Yes, I am sure some of it's members are racists. And they were kicked out when found out.

Protesting and fighting antifa is not racism.

You act like they are the KKK.
Are they going around saying that black people are inferior? ARe they protesting black rights? Are they killing black people or attacking black people?

They aren't racists

Joe Biden was just fine. I give him props for standing there on the stage with that lunatic for 90 minutes. I would not have blamed him one bit for telling that idiot to F off and walking off the stage.

I really don’t have a horse in this race, so i try to be open-minded. While Trump was no doubt the main instigator, stop acting like Biden was just a victim here. He clearly lost his composure with some of his equally tasteless remarks. I am 99.9% certain his debate team gave him quite a lecture about that afterwards. Neither candidate came out of this looking good - that’s how objective Americans will see it.

So you're down with the Proud Boys. Noted.

I am not anti proud boys, no.
I don't agree with how they escalate situations.
I do agree with many of their beliefs.
Am I down with them? Are you down with Antifa?

I guess I'm a racist lol

I really don’t have a horse in this race, so i try to be open-minded. While Trump was no doubt the main instigator, stop acting like Biden was just a victim here. He clearly lost his composure with some of his equally tasteless remarks. I am 99.9% certain his debate team gave him quite a lecture about that afterwards. Neither candidate came out of this looking good - that’s how objective Americans will see it.

Don't try to both sides this. Biden was incredibly composed in the face of that lunatic. Trump was absolutely out of control. The polls also show that people who watched the debate say that Joe Biden won.

Don't try to both sides this. Biden was incredibly composed in the face of that lunatic. Trump was absolutely out of control. The polls also show that people who watched the debate say that Joe Biden won.

This is patently false. You see what you want to see. Biden used personal attacks. Trump was more composed. Chris Wallace was Basically holding Biden’s hand and running cover for him. No president has ever faced more opposition than trump.

The proud boys bit was an attempt by Wallace at a gotcha moment. Even then, Trump agreed 3 times and said he would denounce white supremecists. Your refusal to acknowledge the damage and violence caused by antifa is laughable. You and dems have routinely defended antifa and tried to downplay their antics even as they continue to destroy property, cause mayhem, and use violence to create chaos.

You were going to condemn Trump before the debate. You were going to praise Biden before the debate. This debate did nothing to change anyone’s mind. It was a waste of time. Both sides are already dug in.

Here is debate analysis from a different site:

What a Sh*tshow
Normally that would not be an appropriate thing to put in a headline. However, that is how Dana Bash described things, live on CNN, after the debate (and without the asterisk). And you know what they say about "if the shoe fits..."

Going into the debate, nobody knew what to expect, and boy were they right to think that way. There has never, ever been a debate like the one last night—and this is in a world that's already experienced the three Trump-Clinton debates. We took a look at the talking heads on the major news stations after it was over, and with the exception of one network where opinion was divided (guess which!), they all looked crestfallen. Or maybe shell-shocked. In case you are skeptical, here are some of the post-debate headlines:

Politico: An Epic Moment of National Shame: The Debate Was an Embarrassment for the Ages
The Washington Post: Trump incessantly interrupts and insults Biden as they spar in acrimonious first debate
The New York Times: With Cross Talk, Lies and Mockery, Trump Tramples Decorum in Debate With Biden
The Week: The debate was so bad that circus workers say it's offensive to call it a circus
Slate: Cancel the Debates: This degrading spectacle didn't show voters anything they don't already know
San Jose Mercury News: 'An Embarrassment to our country': Should that be the last Trump-Biden debate?
Bloomberg: Trump Embarrassed His Country and Himself
IndieWire: The First Biden-Trump Debate Was an Embarrassing Waste of Time
Chicago Tribune: Trump's toxic debate performance was 90 minutes of disqualifying noise and cruelty
The Bulwark: No More Debates: In Cleveland, our national humiliation continued
National Review: Well, That Was Dispiriting
Fox News: Debate goes off the rails as Trump interrupts, Biden bickers in shoutfest
Fox News: Trump clearly defeats Biden in first presidential debate

Watching a spectacle like that cannot help but leave one feeling depressed and disheartened, and perhaps wanting to take a long shower. For those who hope for civility to return to American politics, it was as uncivil an event as the nation has seen since...the McCarthy hearings? As bad as the Brett Kavanaugh confirmation was, this was far, far, far worse. For those who fear that Donald Trump will do anything to remain in power, well, last night certainly did nothing to assuage those fears. His clear message was that he will do what it takes or, failing that, will try to take the country down with him.

We're going to break this down, person by person, taking a look at each of the three men on stage Tuesday night:

Donald Trump (Sh**show Responsibility: 80%): Early in the debate, FiveThirtyEight's Nathaniel Rakich tweeted: "Biden came prepared for a debate. Trump came in determined to prevent one." That is a very apt summation. He came barreling out of the gate as though he'd spent the day freebasing caffeine or adderall, and only got louder and more aggressive as the evening went on. He constantly interrupted Joe Biden and moderator Chris Wallace (a total of 128 times, or once every 42 seconds). He constantly played the victim card, whining about how he's been wronged by Democrats, the media, pollsters, the deep state, Wallace, etc. He constantly lied. If you want to read some fact-checks, here are the ones from the AP, the BBC, The Washington Post, The New York Times, and CNN. There is no way that any of these is comprehensive. In fact, even if you read all of them, you won't get the full picture, because Trump must have told at least 100 lies.

There were two elements of the debate that really highlighted Trump's indecency and lack of control. Speaking broadly, Trump not only showed constant disrespect for Biden, he gave Wallace—who works for Fox News— the same treatment. The result was that Wallace and Trump ended up spending substantial time arguing with each other. In fact, that is how the debate ended; Trump was still yelling at Wallace when the moderator declared the debate to be over. It's one thing to go after your (perceived) enemy, but to constantly crap on someone who is neutral and institutional, while also refusing to abide by rules that you agreed to? It's a bad look.

The other indecent element, meanwhile, was the below-the-belt quality of Trump's personal attacks against Biden and his family. Early in the debate, after Biden observed that many more Americans are going to die of COVID-19 "unless [Trump] gets a lot smarter a lot quicker," the President fired back: "You graduated either the lowest or almost the lowest in your class. Don't ever use the word smart with me. Don't ever use that word. Because you know what? There's nothing smart about you, Joe." That was pretty unpleasant. And yet, it was nowhere near as bad as the moment later in the evening when Biden was talking about his deceased son Beau and Trump interrupted with some really nasty stuff about son Hunter:The various claims Trump makes, trying to tie Hunter (and thus his father) to various acts of corruption, are all lies. But the real dirty pool came with the mockery of Hunter Biden's substance abuse problem, and the claim that being a former addict makes Hunter a "loser." The roughly 35 million Americans who have dealt with substance abuse in their lives would surely beg to differ, as would the additional tens or hundreds of millions of Americans who recognize that substance abuse is a disease to be treated and not a moral failing to be shamed.

The slur against Hunter Biden will, we would guess, become the second most talked about moment of the night. We'll get to the first shortly, but first let us observe that Trump's lack of preparation was evident, since he was almost completely unable to answer foreseeable questions. For example, Wallace asked a tough (but totally fair) question, namely: "Where is your healthcare plan?" The President claimed he not only has one, he's already implemented it. This was news to Wallace and Biden, and when asked for clarification, Trump explained that he was referring to getting rid of the individual mandate from Obamacare, and even went so far as to suggest that the name shouldn't be "Obamacare" anymore. When Wallace followed up by observing that "changes to Obamacare" do not constitute a healthcare plan, the President promised that his plan is coming soon. There are, of course, 33 days to the election. Trump announced his presidential bid 1,934 days ago.

In addition to asking obvious (if tough) questions, Wallace also tossed out some softballs that afforded the candidates opportunities to "get right" on a potential weakness. For example, Biden got one about defunding the police, which allowed him to make clear where he stands on that (he said he actually wants to give more money to police, which is true, so they have support from professionals like psychologists who are better equipped to handle certain situations). And having explained that, we now arrive at the talking point of the night. Wallace tossed Trump a softball meant to allow the president to "get right" on white supremacy. Here is the clip:

Sidestepping the opportunity to condemn white supremacy was a huge mistake. And the remark: "Proud Boys—stand back, and stand by" was a colossal blunder. That is the perfect length for a sound bite, or a headline, or a tweet. It's not going to go over well with those "suburban housewives" Trump so badly needs. The President's dithering instantly resurrected one of his biggest Achilles heels. It's hard to imagine what might have harmed him more, unless he made a joke about pu**y grabbing, or maybe admitted that he does indeed owe money to Vladimir Putin. Oh and by the way, members of the Proud Boys took to social media after the debate to celebrate the fact that, as far as they are concerned, they just got their marching orders.

There were, of course, plenty of lesser blunders as well. In particular, Trump displayed a remarkable propensity for making attacks on Biden that actually highlighted Trumpian/Republican shortcomings. For example, the President slammed the Obama/Biden team for leaving so many judgeships open at the end of their term in office, which is equivalent to shouting "Don't forget that Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) has been manipulating the federal judiciary for many years!" Trump also mocked Biden for wearing his mask so often. The President presumably sees that as unmanly, but our guess is that the nearly 70% of Americans who always wear a mask when they leave home see it as a sign of empathy and thoughtfulness. To give a third example, the President defended his record on COVID-19 by slamming the Obama/Biden record on Swine Flu. Biden could scarcely believe his good luck as he responded that Swine Flu killed 14,000 Americans, which is rather less than 200,000, and that it also didn't shut down the economy.

In short, Trump—a man who trails in national polls by 7-10 points, and whose electoral map is getting ugly—did absolutely nothing to add new voters into the fold. In particular, CNN's Gloria Borger observed, "If he was looking to change the minds of any women voters...I think a lot of women would be frightened." Indeed, it is clear the President wasn't even trying to win over new voters. He said absolutely nothing last night that he hasn't said a hundred times before. He is going to live and die with a 100% base-centered campaign, and so he showed up and performed one of his rallies for however many tens of millions of Americans tuned in.

The media is trying hard to frame it as a Biden win, just as they tried to help Hillary. The truth is Biden lied his ass off and didn’t really answer any questions.

The media is trying hard to frame it as a Biden win, just as they tried to help Hillary. The truth is Biden lied his ass off and didn’t really answer any questions.

You've got to be kidding. Trump told lie after lie. It's all he does.

[TWEET]https://twitter.com/USA_Polling/status/1311152854439256066?s=20[/TWEET]

[TWEET]https://twitter.com/PpollingNumbers/status/1311156026842976256?s=20[/TWEET]

I had to laugh. During Frank Luntz's focus group, he asked an undecided voter her impression of Trump and she said he "acted like a crackhead" :ez-roll:

He told the POTUS to shut up. Called him a clown.

This shouldn't fly. I don't care that Trump is an ass...the POTUS as an office deserves more respect

This is patently false. You see what you want to see. Biden used personal attacks. Trump was more composed. Chris Wallace was Basically holding Biden’s hand and running cover for him. No president has ever faced more opposition than trump.

The proud boys bit was an attempt by Wallace at a gotcha moment. Even then, Trump agreed 3 times and said he would denounce white supremecists. Your refusal to acknowledge the damage and violence caused by antifa is laughable. You and dems have routinely defended antifa and tried to downplay their antics even as they continue to destroy property, cause mayhem, and use violence to create chaos.

You were going to condemn Trump before the debate. You were going to praise Biden before the debate. This debate did nothing to change anyone’s mind. It was a waste of time. Both sides are already dug in.

The fact that Trump even has to be asked to denounce white supremacy is ridiculous. He has denounced it in the past and its obvious to anyone with a brain he is anti racism

Either way she was accurate. I half-expected Trump to be taken off the stage in a straitjacket.

lol. he did nothing crazy or out of character.

His main issue was he has to get the last word in and can't sit back and let someone else tell lies.

He is very very egotistical and narcissistic. That isn't crazy and is already knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back