CU's Bzdelik Optimistic, but rough Big 12 still a reality

thebigabd

Reaction score
BOULDER, Colo. — Colorado basketball is on the rise.

Of course, I'm not sure the program has anywhere to go but up after three consecutive 20-loss seasons.

I've been hanging out at the Coors Events Center a little bit this summer checking out some of the behind-the-scenes happenings with the Buffs, and there is no question Jeff Bzdelik is going to turn the corner at CU this season.

"The summer is the key to individual development and physical development for everyone," Bzdelik said during Tuesday's Big 12 coaches teleconference with members of the media. "It's when players are made."

There is some legitimate talent in place now when you take a look at Cory Higgins, Marcus Relphorde and Alec Burks. There are some players ready to make a big jump when you think about what Austin Dufault, Nate Tomlinson and Trey Eckloff went through as freshmen and what they're doing to prepare as sophomores-to-be.

There is an actual weight room at the CEC. A real strength and conditioning coach (James Hardy) is now officially assigned to hoops. Bzdelik and his staff even have their very own administrative assistant (Marge Marcy) this year.

And the most refreshing development I've witnessed is a new attitude from top to bottom.

Bzdelik says it's time to stop whining about what CU doesn't have (including a practice facility) and start finding a way to win, despite limited facilities and support.

There is, however, one problem still facing the program: The Big 12 is loadedfrom top to Buffs.

Bzdelik's team might be vastly improved, but how many rungs on the ladder can it realistically climb in 2009-10?

Kansas is the preseason favorite to win the national title with Sherron Collins and Cole Aldrich returning. Texas certainly has the talent to make it to the Final Four with Damion James and Dexter Pittman putting the NBA on hold and perhaps the top recruiting class in the country set to join them in Austin.

Texas A&M has the (dark) horsepower to steal a conference title. Oklahoma and Missouri are riding the momentum of Elite Eight appearances and will be reloading, not rebuilding.

Even some of the middle-of-the-pack or bottom-feeding programs -- like Oklahoma State (James Anderson) and Iowa State (Craig Brackins) -- feature NBA lottery-caliber stars capable of carrying them into the NCAA Tournament.

Of the top 150 incoming recruits at rivals.com, 25 are headed to the Big 12 -- four to Oklahoma, four to Oklahoma State, three to Baylor, three to Texas, three to Kansas, three to Kansas State, three to Texas A&M, one to Iowa State and one two Missouri

Only CU, Nebraska and Texas Tech from the Big 12 were unable to get on the exclusive national list.

"It's just like being thrown in the deep end with a weighted vest on and you don't know how to swim," Red Raiders head coach Pat Knight said when asked how difficult it is to move up in the Big 12 pecking order. "You're just treading water."

So how can Bzdelik's team avoid drowning?

For starters, CU needs to establish a home-court advantage. Bzdelik is planning to host 10 non-conference games at the Coors Events Center and it would be a good idea to win at least nine of those.

The Buffs also travel to the prestigious Maui Invitational (a 1-2 record might be paradise), Oregon State (should be a pretty fair Big 12/Pac-10 fight), Colorado State (gotta have this one) and Tulsa (the Conference USA favorite with the mess going on at Memphis).

And then things really get tough when the Big 12 slate begins in January.

"I don't think there is any question that our league is better than it has ever been," Texas head coach Rick Barnes said. "I think we have a lot of teams that can do a lot of damage."

The Buffs are indeed on the rise.

That might only translate to being on the NIT bubble or perhaps competing in the CBI Tournament. Not exactly March Madness, but a sign of progress fans should expect to see at the end of the season.

"We're not running in place. We're making strides," Bzdelik said. "But the Big 12 is the best conference in America."

http://www.buffzone.com/news/2009/jun/17/cus-bzdelik-optimistic-but-rough-big-12-still-a/

Can they get to the six wins? Bigtime? They are going to get better, no doubt about it, but they are going to need a couple of upsets.

PG: Nate Tomlinson (6'2'' 185)- Australian who shot 43% from the 3pt line as a freshman last year. Averaged 7.5 per game, along with 3 assists. Should be improved.

SG: Cory Higgins (6'5'' 190)- 3rd team all big 12 last year. One of 13 nationally ranked first or second on their team in the five major statistical categories (points, rebounds, assists, steals, blocks) and only sophomore nationally on that list.

SF: Marcus Relphorde (6'7'' 225)- "Marcus is an excellent player. He's very strong, very physical, very versatile," Bzdelik said. "Him and Cory ... I'm very excited of the potential that those two bring playing together at the wings with their versatility, with their athleticism". Shot 45% from 3pt line in juco. Rated #1 instant impact transfer by KC-Star.

PF: Austin Dufault (6'8'' 220)- Started all 31 games averaging 30.7 minutes as true freshman, 8.2 points, 3.7 rebounds and 1.0 assist per game...Third in team scoring, rebounding, and defensive rebounding (89); fourth overall in minutes (30.7) • One of three on the team to have started all 31 games • Fifth among all conference freshmen in scoring and rebounding.

C: Shane Harris-Tunks (6'11'' 245)- "Shane is already a very good rebounder and a very good defender," Bzdelik said. "He can hold and contest position in the low post, he can get out and blitz ball screens. He stunts extremely well." ... "I anticipate he'll make that adjustment more smoothly than a typical freshman having played at the Australian Institute of Sport for the last three years," Bzdelik said. "It's the equivalent of an Olympic training center, and they run a system that is pretty similar to what we run in terms of team play and reading defenses. I don't anticipate too much of an adjustment for him."... Considered to be the #1 center out of Australia this year. Playing with the Australian U19 World Championship team this summer.

to be fair, OSU had #1 seed Pitt on the ropes in the *second round* of the NCAA and has been a top 25 type team with 2 final fours the last 15-20 years....so i don't get where Thorburn gets off calling them "middle of the pack to bottom feeder". the "greatest CU team of all-time", the Billups led 96 team lost in the *second round*. ISU can point to some tournament success with both Floyd and Eustachy making the Elite 8.

college hoops writing in Boulder is a sad joke. the daily camera used to have a really good sports page but in the various ownership changes from Knight-Ridder to Gannett to whomever...something has been lost in the last decade.

to be fair, OSU had #1 seed Pitt on the ropes in the *second round* of the NCAA and has been a top 25 type team with 2 final fours the last 15-20 years....so i don't get where Thorburn gets off calling them "middle of the pack to bottom feeder". the "greatest CU team of all-time", the Billups led 96 team lost in the *second round*.

college hoops writing in Boulder is a sad joke. the daily camera used to have a really good sports page but in the various ownership changes from Knight-Ridder to Gannett to whomever...something has been lost in the last decade.

I think he was talking about how OSU has been middle of the pack the last few years with Sean Sutton, and was projected middle of the pack last year with Ford. They will probably be picked 6th or so this year, which is technically middle of the pack.

I have no problem with that statement.

sure, maybe. it's my opinion that the CU market is pretty insular and don't have a real knowledge of the rest of the conference. i think Thorburn's writing (as the current college beat guy) reflects that more often than not.

sure, maybe. it's my opinion that the CU market is pretty insular and don't have a real knowledge of the rest of the conference. i think Thorburn's writing (as the current college beat guy) reflects that more often than not.

Im pretty sure the CU market doesnt have much of an idea about their own team, let alone other Big 12 schools.

Jeff,

you will have earned the 4-5 wins that you get this year. I have an idea for you; go back to AF. Colorado is a terrible job.

Back