Defense since Capel's first year....

SoonerChamp03

Banned
Reaction score
I'm curious to see the defensive statistics in each season of Capel's tenure at OU.

The first season, we were not talented offensively. We won games 55-54. I think most of us were under the impression that Capel was a lockdown defensive coach. Was that season's success on defense due completely to Sampson's defensive player recruiting?

Seems as we have lost more and more of KS's players, we have gotten consistently worse defensively.

I'm curious to see the defensive statistics in each season of Capel's tenure at OU.

The first season, we were not talented offensively. We won games 55-54. I think most of us were under the impression that Capel was a lockdown defensive coach. Was that season's success on defense due completely to Sampson's defensive player recruiting?

Seems as we have lost more and more of KS's players, we have gotten consistently worse defensively.

I didn't wanna say it, but I've kinda been thinking the same thing.

According to kenpom...

Capel's first year - 17th best in the nation
Second year - 32nd best.
Third year - 36th best.

This year they are 244th, so far. That will likely go up quite a bit. I'd say it'll finish around 150 or so.

This is the first year we've had no Kelvin Sampson left overs outside of Tony Crocker if you want to count him.

I'm watching this closely because I'm a defense first believer and that is what Capel said about himself when he first got here.

Who just happens to be our best on-ball defender.

That cannot be attributed to Sampson because Tony never practiced under coach Sampson. Perhaps the older guys taught him or more likely 3 full years of practice and pt taught him.

If you are the 17th best defensive team in the country, how do you miss the post season? Think about that.

That cannot be attributed to Sampson because Tony never practiced under coach Sampson. Perhaps the older guys taught him or more likely 3 full years of practice and pt taught him.

If you are the 17th best defensive team in the country, how do you miss the post season? Think about that.

2 things

We played a much slower style, and we didn't play our best player for half the season.

Back