Defensive schemes for tonight

We were taught as the defender of opposing player setting the screnn to hedge them back from where the came...that's on the help defender. Blake did a really poor job of this early on last year, but consistently got better.

Agreed. Hedge out far enough to where Clarke has to split those defenders and make a play on the drive inside the 3-point line.

Do you guys really think it matters? Granted this is easily the most talented roster of players ever at OU but at least three of them simply don't have the ability to play defense. TMG, Tiny and WW cannot shut down guys at San Diego, Nichols State, La Monroe, VCU, Mount St. Mary's etc. This is Arkansas. The players at Arkansas were almost as good as WW, TMG and Tiny in high school.

I don't really think any defensive set is going to help. When you can't do something, you can't do it. I just know in my heart that Capel is mistaken and WW, Tiny and TMG are trying. I am not going down that path with the rest of you. This is the first time ever that OU has had 3 McD AA, so I think it is pretty obvious that this is the most competitive, hardest working team ever at OU.

I actually think this could be a really good zone team once they learn the rotations. The length that Crock, Cade, and Pledge have as guards can really create problems. Willie and TMG would have to bring the intensity for it to work with both on the floor. With WW, Crock, Cade, Pledge, and Tiny on the floor, I think zone helps on the defensive boards because everyone can hit the boards.

Do you guys really think it matters? Granted this is easily the most talented roster of players ever at OU but at least three of them simply don't have the ability to play defense. TMG, Tiny and WW cannot shut down guys at San Diego, Nichols State, La Monroe, VCU, Mount St. Mary's etc. This is Arkansas. The players at Arkansas were almost as good as WW, TMG and Tiny in high school.

I don't really think any defensive set is going to help. When you can't do something, you can't do it. I just know in my heart that Capel is mistaken and WW, Tiny and TMG are trying. I am not going down that path with the rest of you. This is the first time ever that OU has had 3 McD AA, so I think it is pretty obvious that this is the most competitive, hardest working team ever at OU.

Playing good team defense is a matter of learning the scheme, practice and focus. These guys aren't going to become a great defensive team overnight, but I have no doubt that they can become much better than they have been in the first 6 games - especially if the weaker defensive players have to earn their playing time by improving their defensive performance.

Playing good team defense is a matter of learning the scheme, practice and focus. These guys aren't going to become a great defensive team overnight, but I have no doubt that they can become much better than they have been in the first 6 games - especially if the weaker defensive players have to earn their playing time by improving their defensive performance.

That's only part of it....a large portion is personnel.

That's only part of it....a large portion is personnel.

With this club, the large portion is what MsProud pointed out.

The only guy that I think may be limited is TMG. He is not very quick laterally, and his length can be used against him. But even he can at least put his arms up and try and interfere with the passing lane, and get much better on keeping guys in front of him and knowing his rotations.

I think Pledger will progress as a defender much like Crocker did. I think Tiny will be fine, and already like the way that he bodies up in post defense without fouling. Fitzgerald will be fine against guys his size and larger. I am not sure he will ever be able to cover a 4 with quickness like Moses or James.

The point is that these guys HAVE to give more effort and take more pride in wanting to defend. If they don't, we will probably drop both games this week and finish in the lower half of the Big 12.

Agreed. Hedge out far enough to where Clarke has to split those defenders and make a play on the drive inside the 3-point line.

I'm talking about the guards switching, not hedging.

I'm talking about the guards switching, not hedging.

I wasn't replying to your post, that's why I quoted campbest's post on hedging. I do agree with your post on not switching to keep certain defenders on a specific player.

Back in the day, I played basketball before girls played 5 on 5. I was a guard and played only defense. At first, we were only taught 2 things:

1) Stay between your girl and the basket
2) Block out on rebounds.

Fast forward to when my daughter's played and defense was much more complicated.

They had different responsibilities depending upon whether the ball was on their side of the court or not.

They had different stances depending upon which side of the court they were on (right or left of the lane).

They had different responsibilities for helping other players depending on the team they were playing.

Judging from what Coach Capel said in his interview with Al, anything more than staying between your man and the basket is probably all new to some of these freshmen. Imagine how hard it is to learn to rotate and help out if you've never had to do it before. There is a lot these guys have to learn, in addition to learning to give 100% effort on defense as well as on offense.

I don't know what defense we'll play tonight, but I think it will be fairly simple with an emphasis on effort and hustle.

With this club, the large portion is what MsProud pointed out.

The only guy that I think may be limited is TMG. He is not very quick laterally, and his length can be used against him. But even he can at least put his arms up and try and interfere with the passing lane, and get much better on keeping guys in front of him and knowing his rotations.

I think Pledger will progress as a defender much like Crocker did. I think Tiny will be fine, and already like the way that he bodies up in post defense without fouling. Fitzgerald will be fine against guys his size and larger. I am not sure he will ever be able to cover a 4 with quickness like Moses or James.

The point is that these guys HAVE to give more effort and take more pride in wanting to defend. If they don't, we will probably drop both games this week and finish in the lower half of the Big 12.

Nobody should make excuses for TMG. I intentionally used Tim Heskett as an example because he was not particularly tall or quick but he did a good job. Terry Evans used to get abused in practice by Mookie Blaylock (per Billy Tubbs) and he learned to play good defense.

It is 99% desire and effort because all of these guys at major programs are athletic enough to get the job done. Furthermore, if TMG wants to make it to the NBA he needs to be an all-conference level defender. If he doesn't understand that and anyone knows they should clue him in. I honestly think he has a shot but this half-@$$ effort by the three stars doesn't work.

Back