De'Vion Harmon

TulsaWorld

Reaction score
From Guerin Emig...

As well as De’Vion Harmon played in his Oklahoma basketball debut Tuesday night, fans should be just as encouraged about something he said six days earlier.

“I know, and everybody who watches us in the Big 12 knows, that we’ve got to be better than the past couple years. I want people to put that on my shoulders and let me handle it,” Harmon declared at Big 12 Media Day on Oct. 23. “I don’t care if I’m a freshman or not. I’m 18. I feel like I can handle whatever is thrown at me. Put the blame on me if we lose a game.

“I’ll take it. I’ll fix it. Then we’ll bounce back.”

Coaches love hearing that volume of accountability from seniors. Harmon is OU’s freshman point guard.

When I relayed the quote to Lon Kruger, the Sooners coach smiled so broadly the corners of his mouth practically reached his spectacles.

“De’Vion carries himself that way. He does,” Kruger said. “He works extremely hard. He’s motivated by a number of things, but primarily it’s to do what he can to help his team be better. A lot of players think like that, but De’Vion being a point guard, having that mindset, that’s healthy. That’s refreshing.”

De’Vion Harmon is special! I’m not surprised he plans to put the team and the blame for a loss on his shoulders. I said sometime ago that he is a natural born leader with the ability to lead his freshman season. I believe that even more now.

Tulsa, thanks for posting, and for covering the basketball team. Other papers should follow your lead and actually give this program some ink!

Tulsa, thanks for posting, and for covering the basketball team. Other papers should follow your lead and actually give this program some ink!

I was very worried when the last few times I tried to visit the site wasn't loading, but glad you're all back too

What a breath of fresh air this kid is. Hope he has a great career!

Harmon is a true point guard. He is the leader we have been lacking for some time.

Back