Discuss Porter Moser thread DON'T DO IT ANYWHERE ELSE

WichitaSooner

Reaction score
This is a worse loss than losing Noland, but what Cortes does can be replaced. We may not like Moser's system, but he's got to find guys who will thrive in it.

Or better yet, Moser could show an ability to adapt. He isn’t going to find many guys willing to play his preferred system in a P5 conference. If he wants to bring in guys who thrive in a system that will rank in the mid 200s in pace, we can look forward to another losing season.

Re: Bijan portals

This is a worse loss than losing Noland, but what Cortes does can be replaced. We may not like Moser's system, but he's got to find guys who will thrive in it.

Curious what you see as moser’s system? Honest question

What I saw was 4 guys stand around while 1 guy goes 1/1… (obviously it’s an over simplified) but when we really needed to score this is what happened.

I watch tcu/Gonzaga… they both were good at moving WITHOUT the ball.

I don’t think many “studs” will want to come play his game. We’ll see

What I saw was 4 guys stand around while 1 guy goes 1/1… (obviously it’s an over simplified) but when we really needed to score this is what happened.

lol you don't get the quality looks that OU does with out running good stuff ..

I honestly don't get to watch enough to analyze his system. I just know it's super deliberate and slow. It's a system designed for lesser athletes to compete. I personally find it very hard to watch, and I do find it hard to believe that the players OU needs would want to play in that system.

Or better yet, Moser could show an ability to adapt. He isn’t going to find many guys willing to play his preferred system in a P5 conference. If he wants to bring in guys who thrive in a system that will rank in the mid 200s in pace, we can look forward to another losing season.

I do agree with this. My biggest fear is that OU's guards will never reach full potential because of Moser's system. No matter who he brings in.

I do agree with this. My biggest fear is that OU's guards will never reach full potential because of Moser's system. No matter who he brings in.

Precisely.

One of the things that separates the great coaches from others is their ability to adjust their style to fit their personnel. Self and Sampson are two examples. Self played the two big man, high/low system for years. In the past few years, he has played with one big, and, this year, with no bigs. The winning never stopped. If he had tried to stick with two bigs in this era, they wouldn’t have won a championship last year.

I honestly don't get to watch enough to analyze his system. I just know it's super deliberate and slow. It's a system designed for lesser athletes to compete. I personally find it very hard to watch, and I do find it hard to believe that the players OU needs would want to play in that system.

Yup… Most complaints I saw were we are not athletic enough at all the positions… which leads right into your statement

Precisely.

One of the things that separates the great coaches from others is their ability to adjust their style to fit their personnel. Self and Sampson are two examples. Self played the two big man, high/low system for years. In the past few years, he has played with one big, and, this year, with no bigs. The winning never stopped. If he had tried to stick with two bigs in this era, they wouldn’t have won a championship last year.

If only we could hire Bill Self. It's gonna be tough to lure him from KU, so maybe we could settle for Coach K or Jay Wright.

If only we could hire Bill Self. It's gonna be tough to lure him from KU, so maybe we could settle for Coach K or Jay Wright.

So it should take HOF credentials to realize that your chances of winning improve if you can adjust your style? We really shouldn’t expect Moser to realize that the method he used at Loyola isn’t likely to succeed playing against much better athletes in a much better conference?

So it should take HOF credentials to realize that your chances of winning improve if you can adjust your style? We really shouldn’t expect Moser to realize that the method he used at Loyola isn’t likely to succeed playing against much better athletes in a much better conference?

How do we know that Moser will not adjust the style if/when he has a more athletic roster? The slow, methodical pace was likely this team’s best chance to win games. If we keep getting players like uzan, oweh, Cooper, then I would be very surprised to see us continue the slow-pace, ball control offense like we have been with this unathletic and undermanned roster.

can we please not turn every single thread into a discussion about PM

can we please not turn every single thread into a discussion about PM

Does that also apply to your comment in this thread that OU got so many good looks due to his offensive system?

I’m not a mod, but sure seems to me like a thread about another player leaving OU is an appropriate place to discuss whether the coaching style is contributing to our difficulties in the portal. But what do I know.

And Tiny, my reply to you would be that the best the team looked all season was when we actually did play faster and more freely against Bama. We don’t have an athletic roster, but our guards were better than our bigs, so why not play that way more often? He also waited way too long to give Oweh a real chance. Those don’t seem great signs if you’re hoping he will truly let his athletes get out and play.

I personally like Porter but his offense this year was atrocious. I’m against slowing the game down although understand when you have lesser athletes. At the same time without a single player that can one on one you have to run plays the entire shot lock hoping for an opening. We never had ball three point line before half shot clock was gone.

Back