Discuss Porter Moser thread DON'T DO IT ANYWHERE ELSE

He inherited a mess and I have not seen much reason to believe he is the guy to stem the tide. I was VERY excited about the hire because I watched his Loyola teams run really good stuff. But I've seen two years of square pegs and round holes with no sense of improvement throughout the campaigns. Analytics can turn any stat any direction, but oftentimes it pays to trust your eyes; my eyes say we're lousy.

Are there advanced metrics that say our team last year was good? I thought we were all in agreement that this past season was terrible.

Are there advanced metrics that say our team last year was good? I thought we were all in agreement that this past season was terrible.
I saw several posts on here indicating that, thanks in large part to the "strength" of the conference, we weren't far from bubble discussion. I can't wrap my head around that, but if some are making that claim then the assumption can be made that we aren't too far off.

I disagree wholeheartedly, but others see it differently. God bless em....they're more optimistic about the state of the program than me.

I saw several posts on here indicating that, thanks in large part to the "strength" of the conference, we weren't far from bubble discussion. I can't wrap my head around that, but if some are making that claim then the assumption can be made that we aren't too far off.

I disagree wholeheartedly, but others see it differently. God bless em....they're more optimistic about the state of the program than me.

I also admire the data bending optimists. Some of them also keep telling me that putting the diapers next to the beer coolers in my convenience store will make me rich.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I see absolutely zero cohesion any where in the program, from the coaching staff that is a revolving door to the players/team that is also a revolving door. I don't see any real program being built. Zero stability.

I see absolutely zero cohesion any where in the program, from the coaching staff that is a revolving door to the players/team that is also a revolving door. I don't see any real program being built. Zero stability.

coaches leaving for HC jobs and or better jobs (#1 kentucky ast now a HC) is never a bad thing to happen sure the 1 new guy this year was weird

season was terrible ... but the team wasn't ... it wasn't good either .. some where in-between ..

That's what everybody overlooks. No stability. No identity. No clear path forward. No positive movement on landing bigs that can contribute in a positive manner.

That's what everybody overlooks. No stability. No identity. No clear path forward. No positive movement on landing bigs that can contribute in a positive manner.

I definitely don't think it is overlooked. I think many (most?) of us feel this way. There are a few who still seem to think Moser is on the right path because of his high school recruiting (and a couple good seasons at Loyola), but it seems most people are concerned about all the things you mention.

Rather than pick at reasons why we were poor, now it's got to be about next season results. If they are in the middle of the conference record wise or better, he may keep his job. Three seasons of failure is too much baggage for him to recruit talent or sell tickets.

Seems rather inauspicious to keep him, when the percentage of him succeeding is rather low at this point. Why delay the inevitable?

also firing very very well respected coaches after less then 2 years is a bad look and doesn't help you hire the next guy with out way overpaying ..

I'm not sure how many would put PM in the "very,very well respected" category, but I agree with your logic for 2 reasons:
1. We haven't had embarrassing off-court issues (tech,ut,bama...)
2. We've been just good enough (around .500) that one can at least debate whether it's been a complete disaster, unlike say Georgetown.

It will be tough to hire PM replacement next year too, likely, but doing so now would really be a struggle to sell any sense of stability to a new coach. I don't think PM inherited near as big of a mess as he is likely to leave the next coach, so we'll need all the selling points we can get when that day comes.

I'm not sure how many would put PM in the "very,very well respected" category, but I agree with your logic for 2 reasons:
1. We haven't had embarrassing off-court issues (tech,ut,bama...)
2. We've been just good enough (around .500) that one can at least debate whether it's been a complete disaster, unlike say Georgetown.

It will be tough to hire PM replacement next year too, likely, but doing so now would really be a struggle to sell any sense of stability to a new coach. I don't think PM inherited near as big of a mess as he is likely to leave the next coach, so we'll need all the selling points we can get when that day comes.

listen to any of the national guys that called OU games

PM is very well respected

listen to any of the national guys that called OU games

PM is very well respected

You are correct that some of them said this, but I would challenge you to find examples of broadcasters saying that a guy is doing a poor job while calling a game. It never happens, unless the coach is allowing things to implode off the floor. As long as players are behaving, announcers make everyone sound like the next coming of John Wooden.

You are correct that some of them said this, but I would challenge you to find examples of broadcasters saying that a guy is doing a poor job while calling a game. It never happens, unless the coach is allowing things to implode off the floor. As long as players are behaving, announcers make everyone sound like the next coming of John Wooden.

if guys think bad of a coach they tend to just say nothing

Or you can find examples if you are trying to prove the counterpoint?

Did you watch the Purdue game? Matt Painter got ripped for a poorly called game. Talked about his failures in the tournament the last 3 years. Purdue was a 1 seed.

Porter Moser also got the 2022 U.S. Basketball Writers Association College Basketball "Good Guy" Award. So I would say that is "well respected."

[TWEET]https://twitter.com/macstlouis/status/1514008682035613705[/TWEET]

Or you can find examples if you are trying to prove the counterpoint?

Did you watch the Purdue game? Matt Painter got ripped for a poorly called game. Talked about his failures in the tournament the last 3 years. Purdue was a 1 seed.

Porter Moser also got the 2022 U.S. Basketball Writers Association College Basketball "Good Guy" Award. So I would say that is "well respected."

[TWEET]https://twitter.com/macstlouis/status/1514008682035613705[/TWEET]

Lots of folks are good guys. Doesn't mean they are good basketball coaches. And the fact that someone might have been a good coach at one spot doesn't mean he is good at his current job. Billy Gillespie was a star in the making at A&M. People thought Shaka was bound for stardom at Texas. There have been plenty of times, in football and basketball, where guys who had a lot of success at a mid major move to a P5 job and really struggle.

I understand the buyout, and as much as I am disappointed by his first two years, I can understand giving him a third year. But the fact that he is a "good guy" and had two or three good years at Loyola shouldn't factor into whether he should be our coach if he doesn't get us to the tourney next season.

Back