Discuss Porter Moser thread DON'T DO IT ANYWHERE ELSE

Interestingly enough, McDermott didn't do well at Iowa State, and took the Creighton job before he could be fired at ISU. ISU is the only place he hasn't succeeded. His son Doug went with him, developed into an NBA talent, and Greg's career bounced back.

Basketball-wise, Creighton to OU would be a step down. Creighton fills up a 18,000 seat arena and plays in a quality conference. He can get a better basketball job than OU.

But Moser to Creighton is interesting. He's an alum. If OU makes a deal on the buyout, he'd go in a heartbeat, and a lot of OU fans would help him load the truck.

My problem with moving on after 4/1 is that a lot of the higher profile coaches will have already moved. I'm not high on the NT coach, some are, but a guy like that is likely to be at another school by then.

I also think you are selling OU short by saying Creighton is a better job. Maybe, MAYBE, right this minute it is, but we have better resources than Creighton.

My problem with moving on after 4/1 is that a lot of the higher profile coaches will have already moved. I'm not high on the NT coach, some are, but a guy like that is likely to be at another school by then.

I also think you are selling OU short by saying Creighton is a better job. Maybe, MAYBE, right this minute it is, but we have better resources than Creighton.

north texas played at a slower pace then OU did this year

north texas played at a slower pace then OU did this year

I'm aware?

I literally just said I'm not a McCasland fan, but I know some around here are. Just using him as an example of somebody OU fans might want, but that would likely be unavailable in another 10 days.

Agreed on the 4/1 date. And McCasland from UNT appears to be taking the Tech job.

OU absolutely has more resources than Creighton. But we're passionate about football, and a percentage of OU football fans are also OU basketball fans. So we invest in football in order to carry the rest of the athletic department. But OU should be a better job than Creighton.

Creighton has been able to convert Omaha residents into Creighton fans. Omaha is now full of people that root for Nebraska in football and Creighton in basketball. They succeeded in the MVC and were able to move to the Big East. But they're a lot closer to their ceiling than OU is to ours.

Creighton would be a great place for Porter to land if they'd take him and if we'd let him go.

We may have better resources but little are going to basketball. Creighton puts most of its resources into basketball. Their fans show out whether they are good or not, too. Ou fans are a joke in comparison. Creighton job is better than ou right now (definitely not historically but that doesn’t matter much imo).

We may have better resources but little are going to basketball. Creighton puts most of its resources into basketball. Their fans show out whether they are good or not, too. Ou fans are a joke in comparison. Creighton job is better than ou right now (definitely not historically but that doesn’t matter much imo).

Creighton has better fan support, but OU is a better job. Better chance to win big consistently for a good coach. It’s been proven over many years, and was still true as recently as two years ago. That’s not to say he would want to leave Creighton for OU, but most coaches at the top levels want the best chance to win big. I have a ton of respect for Creighton but think it’s unlikely a coach could turn them into a legit national title contender, barring a hot streak in March. Billy, Kelvin, and Lon all showed you can do that at OU, even though you may not be able to stay there long term like at a blue blood.

I don't know which job is "better," OU or Creighton, but I'd rather be HC at Creighton, assuming similar pay.

Better fan support/relevance, no other competition for entertainment in the area to speak of, proximity to several major metro areas yet still somewhat isolated, softer conference schedule, better arena, etc. Plus, Omaha>OKC/Norman.

Can we work out a trade with creighton? We send moser, Sherfield, Hill to creighton and we get McDermott. Seems fair.

I don't know which job is "better," OU or Creighton, but I'd rather be HC at Creighton, assuming similar pay.

Better fan support/relevance, no other competition for entertainment in the area to speak of, proximity to several major metro areas yet still somewhat isolated, softer conference schedule, better arena, etc. Plus, Omaha>OKC/Norman.

If money is similar, coaches want to win. You don’t become a top college coach if you aren’t interested at winning at the highest level.

If you think McDermott is a great coach that's one thing, but if you think Creighton is a better program than Oklahoma, then your head is so far up your rectum that you're going to need a highly skilled surgeon to remove it. When McDermott took over, they'd had exactly one season where they ended in the top 25, and they'd never made it to the Sweet 16.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/oklahoma/men/
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/creighton/men/

I don't think anyone would argue they've had more success than OU historically. Going forward though, I'm not so sure.

I thought it was interesting that ASU extended Bobby Hurley last night. He has made the tourney 3 times in 8 seasons -- I think all three times, they played in the First Four.

That got me thinking -- would anyone here be satisfied with that type of track record for OU? I can't imagine anyone would have signed up for that when PM was hired, especially considering the fact that we have a far better history (recent and more distant) of success than ASU. But now, seeing how many people feel like he should get a lengthy grace period for a variety of reasons, I fear we will become an ASU-like program -- willing to settle for a tourney appearance every two or three years as long as we don't ever go 10-21 or have off-the-court issues. I sure hope that isn't where we end up.

OU is only behind Purdue 44 wins to 43, as most wins in tourney without a title...but I would think if we were in the FF 3 years out of 8 that would be pretty good. I preference that with to get there ya'd have to be pretty decent all the other years..

OU is only behind Purdue 44 wins to 43, as most wins in tourney without a title...but I would think if we were in the FF 3 years out of 8 that would be pretty good. I preference that with to get there ya'd have to be pretty decent all the other years..

3 FFs in 8 years would be beyond my wildest dreams -- even blue bloods don't usually pull that off. We were talking about simply making the tourney 3 times in 8 years, which is well below our standard.

The First Four or the Final Four?

The post was regarding Arizona State, who has made the tournament three times in the past eight years, all with trips to the First Four.

Right now, we'd love to be playing on a Tuesday night in Dayton. But our history, goals and standards are higher than that. Thus, the frustration.

But yeah, three trips to the Final Four in eight years would be pretty awesome. Right now, we go every 14 years (1988, 2002, 2016). Our next appearance is due in 2030.

I don't find those names to be sooo amazing that it shoild have moved the needle by themselves.. McCasland apparently is even slower than PM at tempo. And i wouldnt be sold that mills is any better either.

McCasland is a Drew disciple having worked at Baylor......I was intigued by him when PM was hired but don't really think he would be a home run hire by any means.

I thought it was interesting that ASU extended Bobby Hurley last night. He has made the tourney 3 times in 8 seasons -- I think all three times, they played in the First Four.

That got me thinking -- would anyone here be satisfied with that type of track record for OU? I can't imagine anyone would have signed up for that when PM was hired, especially considering the fact that we have a far better history (recent and more distant) of success than ASU. But now, seeing how many people feel like he should get a lengthy grace period for a variety of reasons, I fear we will become an ASU-like program -- willing to settle for a tourney appearance every two or three years as long as we don't ever go 10-21 or have off-the-court issues. I sure hope that isn't where we end up.
Probably higher standard than the ASU/Hurley example and I’m sure others could argue this sounds defeatist but considering the current level of commitment from the AD and the broader OU fanbase, would be more than content with a 2017/2018-2021/2022 run to close out the decade.

Fairly low ceiling but always in bubble conversation and more often than not in the tournament (~80% in my sample counting 2020 but again more often than not). Don’t make it past the first weekend but generally avoiding a string of truly awful performances in Reg season. If anything would like to see better in-conference performances, especially against rivals, but imagine that will get easier on a go-forward basis.

.....and I’m sure others could argue this sounds defeatist but considering the current level of commitment from the AD and the broader OU fanbase,

Aside from a new arena, what is exactly hasn't the AD done for OU basketball?

His last two coaching hires were one of the most respected coaches in the game and one of the hottest coaching names at the time. Again, other than a new arena (which is a much more challenging endeavor then most on here want to admit), how is he short-changing our program?

The First Four or the Final Four?

The post was regarding Arizona State, who has made the tournament three times in the past eight years, all with trips to the First Four.

Right now, we'd love to be playing on a Tuesday night in Dayton. But our history, goals and standards are higher than that. Thus, the frustration.

But yeah, three trips to the Final Four in eight years would be pretty awesome. Right now, we go every 14 years (1988, 2002, 2016). Our next appearance is due in 2030.

Oh… lol, ya I misread that…when I started my response I had read it right.. first 4 … then buddy came by we went over my bathroom remodel I’m doing and finished response.

My bad. Def not 1st four would be or should be OU’s level. Makes more sense since I pointed out we are very successful in the tourney.

My bad…

Aside from a new arena, what is exactly hasn't the AD done for OU basketball?

His last two coaching hires were one of the most respected coaches in the game and one of the hottest coaching names at the time. Again, other than a new arena (which is a much more challenging endeavor then most on here want to admit), how is he short-changing our program?
“Unleashing the boosters” would be my other big ask but mainly the arena, just because it’s challenging doesn’t really impact my statement IMO.

To be clear I’m not criticizing Castiligone per say, it’s a big investment as you insinuate and the Athletic Department has a lot of priorities (football obviously, but other sports could conceivably offer a better ROI even in my basketball-biased mind).

Ultimately a big investment (like a new arena) is what it would likely take to get the program to a different level expectations wise for me. Could a more comprehensive NIL strategy along get us to a quasi-competitive standpoint? Sure, but even under a HofF coach we were consistently an 8-10 seed the last 5 years.

Last edited:
Back