Discuss Porter Moser thread DON'T DO IT ANYWHERE ELSE

The bottom line is that PM will be our coach next year and if we don't see significant improvement, including making the NCAA tournament, he won't be retained. I think it's that simple.

Lots of folks are good guys. Doesn't mean they are good basketball coaches. And the fact that someone might have been a good coach at one spot doesn't mean he is good at his current job. Billy Gillespie was a star in the making at A&M. People thought Shaka was bound for stardom at Texas. There have been plenty of times, in football and basketball, where guys who had a lot of success at a mid major move to a P5 job and really struggle.

I understand the buyout, and as much as I am disappointed by his first two years, I can understand giving him a third year. But the fact that he is a "good guy" and had two or three good years at Loyola shouldn't factor into whether he should be our coach if he doesn't get us to the tourney next season.

Why do you constantly keep moving the goalposts?

Respected was the initial point, yes? "Good Guy" award, by the media, would lead someone to believe he is respected. What point are you actually wanting to disagree with then? The ability for you to dodge any sort of concession on any point is mind-blowing to me.

The bottom line is that PM will be our coach next year and if we don't see significant improvement, including making the NCAA tournament, he won't be retained. I think it's that simple.

i could see him getting a 4th year is OU is a first team out kind of team with another good recruiting class signed ..

but for sure i want to see improvement ..

Why do you constantly keep moving the goalposts?

Respected was the initial point, yes? "Good Guy" award, by the media, would lead someone to believe he is respected. What point are you actually wanting to disagree with then? The ability for you to dodge any sort of concession on any point is mind-blowing to me.

I guess when I see someone refer to a coach as "very, very respected" in a thread discussing his coaching, I assume he is referring to his coaching acumen and not whether he is a good human being. I'll let Boulder speak as to what he meant, but as for whether he is a good guy -- sure, I will be happy to concede your point. I don't think it is relevant in whether he should be our coach, but glad to know he is a nice fella.

i could see him getting a 4th year is OU is a first team out kind of team with another good recruiting class signed ..

Maybe, but that would signal to me that OU REALLY doesn't care much about basketball.

Maybe, but that would signal to me that OU REALLY doesn't care much about basketball.

with every thing i think it depends on the context ..

if los and oweh improve and cooper and cole show promise .. and another good class is signed ..

and OU misses the dance by 1 game ... he will get a 4th year IMHO

If his "core 4" are progressing as they should and he brings in two more top 100 HS guys, I suspect he'll stay for year 4 barring legal or ethical issues. If Oweh doesn't progress, Uzan goes pro, and Cooper transfers out, I can't see him keeping his job. I think it has a lot more to do with those guys than a specific win target. But better than 15-17.

Or you can find examples if you are trying to prove the counterpoint?

Did you watch the Purdue game? Matt Painter got ripped for a poorly called game. Talked about his failures in the tournament the last 3 years. Purdue was a 1 seed.

Porter Moser also got the 2022 U.S. Basketball Writers Association College Basketball "Good Guy" Award. So I would say that is "well respected."

[TWEET]https://twitter.com/macstlouis/status/1514008682035613705[/TWEET]

The REAL trophies.. :ez-laugh:

I should have been clearer that I was specifically addressing respect for on court and recruiting prowess when I questioned the "very,very..." part. I don't think there is any case to be made about off court issues under PM. From that perspective, he's been great.

I feel like his market value has really peaked, though, after being a sensation 5 years ago. His portal record suggests that many players don't see him as a top option to play for. I also don't remember the gushing by announcers that Boulder referenced, beyond the benefit of the doubt praise that all coaches get during broadcasts, but I missed more games than usual this year.

Regardless, I agree he gets at least one more year. I'm just hoping we're not having exactly the same discussion in 12 months, because it has become a moot point...for a good reason!

I thought it was interesting that ASU extended Bobby Hurley last night. He has made the tourney 3 times in 8 seasons -- I think all three times, they played in the First Four.

That got me thinking -- would anyone here be satisfied with that type of track record for OU? I can't imagine anyone would have signed up for that when PM was hired, especially considering the fact that we have a far better history (recent and more distant) of success than ASU. But now, seeing how many people feel like he should get a lengthy grace period for a variety of reasons, I fear we will become an ASU-like program -- willing to settle for a tourney appearance every two or three years as long as we don't ever go 10-21 or have off-the-court issues. I sure hope that isn't where we end up.

I thought it was interesting that ASU extended Bobby Hurley last night. He has made the tourney 3 times in 8 seasons -- I think all three times, they played in the First Four.

That got me thinking -- would anyone here be satisfied with that type of track record for OU? I can't imagine anyone would have signed up for that when PM was hired, especially considering the fact that we have a far better history (recent and more distant) of success than ASU. But now, seeing how many people feel like he should get a lengthy grace period for a variety of reasons, I fear we will become an ASU-like program -- willing to settle for a tourney appearance every two or three years as long as we don't ever go 10-21 or have off-the-court issues. I sure hope that isn't where we end up.

We should be satisfied with that in any case. We are a much better program than ASU. First Four isnt really making the tournament imo.

I don't believe for a second he deserves an extended stay if this is what he is going to produce. I feel like he swung and missed on the portal. If he does it again then it's obvious he isn't getting any NIL support or his talent evaluation skills are sorely lacking. Read where Bama has $2mil to spread across their roster, hell Creighton gets $400K. Either way this next year has got to be put up or shut up. That doesn't mean Sweet 16 or better it just means a dramatic improvement with the arrow strongly pointing up.

Rumor has it BC and BS wanted a guarantee they would start or they were leaving. Don't know how true that is seems a bit far fetched.

I think 7th or better in conference to even consider keeping him.

[TWEET]https://twitter.com/CoachingChanges/status/1638592061023870977?s=20[/TWEET]

Context: Greg McDermott at Creighton is on the outs with their AD, and is rumored to be looking to leave.

Is Joe C. really being hard on the buyout, or will the story change on April 1 when it goes down to $6M?

This Twitter account is run by a couple of anonymous assistant coaches somewhere. Not sure if it's reliable.

[TWEET]https://twitter.com/CoachingChanges/status/1638592061023870977?s=20[/TWEET]

Context: Greg McDermott at Creighton is on the outs with their AD, and is rumored to be looking to leave.

Is Joe C. really being hard on the buyout, or will the story change on April 1 when it goes down to $6M?

This Twitter account is run by a couple of anonymous assistant coaches somewhere. Not sure if it's reliable.

I don't find those names to be sooo amazing that it shoild have moved the needle by themselves.. McCasland apparently is even slower than PM at tempo. And i wouldnt be sold that mills is any better either.

I haven't seen anything from Mills to make me think he'd be the answer at OU.

Straight swap. Creighton can have Moser and we'll take McDermott. McDermott isn't elite, but he has been pretty consistent at Creighton. I can actually see that he coaches kids up.

I haven't seen anything from Mills to make me think he'd be the answer at OU.

Straight swap. Creighton can have Moser and we'll take McDermott. McDermott isn't elite, but he has been pretty consistent at Creighton. I can actually see that he coaches kids up.

He’s also shown he can win different ways. They have had a high scoring team many years at Creighton, but this year have a very good defense. And he’s shown he can win in a good conference. Moser had never coached in a good league before OU hired him.

I don't think anybody is content with our last 7 seasons. If anybody is, I think it would be you and Sky.

He’s also shown he can win different ways. They have had a high scoring team many years at Creighton, but this year have a very good defense. And he’s shown he can win in a good conference. Moser had never coached in a good league before OU hired him.

Interestingly enough, McDermott didn't do well at Iowa State, and took the Creighton job before he could be fired at ISU. ISU is the only place he hasn't succeeded. His son Doug went with him, developed into an NBA talent, and Greg's career bounced back.

Basketball-wise, Creighton to OU would be a step down. Creighton fills up a 18,000 seat arena and plays in a quality conference. He can get a better basketball job than OU.

But Moser to Creighton is interesting. He's an alum. If OU makes a deal on the buyout, he'd go in a heartbeat, and a lot of OU fans would help him load the truck.

Back