Disturbing trend under Capel so far.

NickZepp

Reaction score
Ending the season in 2007 OU went 1-7. This was a team before that stretch that could be an NCAA Tournament team if they go something like 3-4 in that stretch.

Ending the 08 season they go 5-4 which is respectable, but they scored only 48, 49. and 45 twice in those blowout losses

This year we've already lost 2 of our last 3 and still have at the least 3 more games left.

Under Sampson and Tubbs there were some years where we just weren't all that good that year anyway and we struggled near the end of the year. 04 and 06 are examples. Tubbs had years like this in 92-94 also. But those weren't teams with great talent like this team has. For the most part Tubbs and Sampson's were playing their best by the end of the year. Especially when they were really good. This is a trend Capel's teams need to start showing if he's to be a coach at either of their levels.

Ending the season in 2007 OU went 1-7. This was a team before that stretch that could be an NCAA Tournament team if they go something like 3-4 in that stretch.

Ending the 08 season they go 5-4 which is respectable, but they scored only 48, 49. and 45 twice in those blowout losses

This year we've already lost 2 of our last 3 and still have at the least 3 more games left.

Under Sampson and Tubbs there were some years where we just weren't all that good that year anyway and we struggled near the end of the year. 04 and 06 are examples. Tubbs had years like this in 92-94 also. But those weren't teams with great talent like this team has. For the most part Tubbs and Sampson's were playing their best by the end of the year. Especially when they were really good. This is a trend Capel's teams need to start showing if he's to be a coach at either of their levels.

I was prepared to rip you, but a history of bad finishes is developing and it is a valid point. Under Capel, the team has not finished seasons well. Now, there are circumstances to be considered but its a valid point none the less.

We had our best player our for two of those losses.

Tonight's game was the only one that troubled me.

Like abd, I was going to rip you, but then I read your post. The facts are kind of bothersome, aren't they? Of course, Capel can silence us all by completing the sweep of OSU and winning the conference tournament.

Good points I agree. I've never been a big fan of winning the conference tournament because you have to play 3 games and it's a grind. If you get a Thursday draw in the NCAA, you can see that wear down legs. I know I'll get ripped for saying that, but now my feelings have changed. This team needs to win the tournament to get the team unified and to get that winning confidence again. This should be a goal to get them back on track and to earn the highest seed possible. The good thing is bedlam is Saturday and at home. That's good medicine for focus.

I am not going to defend tonight's game, it was awful on many fronts. Pick a facet of the game and OU was pretty bad.

However, OU played just awful on the road against a team in the Top 15, and lost by nine. I know Mizzou could have played better but I am not going to throw the team under the bus.

Unfortunately, tonight, OU looked a lot like last year with below average guard play. If that trend continues, it will be a second round loss in the NCAA's.

This season isn't over yet, the final chapter is still waiting to be written before we put this down as a true trend yet. I am willing to bet it can be changed.

Trends can change but I'm saying maybe him being a younger coach may have more to do with this than anything else. It's like some people with the Tony Romo argument in the NFL that he hasn't won anything. Capel needs to do more fo that later in the season.

i expected the lose at ut with blake on the bench, against ku thought that it would be tough one, but last nights game bothers me, the griffin boys keep us from getting beat by 30, leary played hard but the rest of this team didnt put out any effort and that ultimatley go's back on capel

Doom and Gloom, great!.....:mad

What gave problems to OU the 2 previous seasons were fast athletic teams and that trend is improving as more highly athletic players are added to the OU roster each season.

wow we lose and ole nick zepp comes out of the woodwork imagine that

Each season stands on its own. It has its own identity with a unique set of variables.

This is ridiculous to speculate on.

The disturbing trend i see is all the cliff divers come out after some adversity...

You have to take each individual season by itself, the first 2 teams he had overachieved and with 6 or so games left in the season last year no one thought we would get in the tourney...much less win a game...

This stretch is being blown out of proportion, sure it sucks we have lost 3 of 4 but would any of us really thought this team would win these games given the circumstances? I know i didnt...once Blake went down i knew we were going to lose at Texas, at home against Kansas and before the season i looked at the Mizzou game as a loss...not even knowing they would be a top 15 team...

I understand there is some venting, but there is also just some plain ignorance here as well...The biggest trend i see with Capel is the addition of talent increases exponentially each year and we get better...there are going to be stretches by every team in the nation where they dont play well and ours hit with an injury...

The only season OU really tanked at the end was 2006-07, not last year, as we finished the year with a good win over Missouri at home on Senior Day and a 1st round victory in the NCAA tournament over a team many picked us to lose to. In 2007, we just didn't have the horses and wore down at the end. I wouldn't put that one on Capel at all. Make sure all you doom and gloom people come back and eat crow after we beat OSU and make a run at winning the Big 12 tourney.

wow we lose and ole nick zepp comes out of the woodwork imagine that

Nick has been very positive since the season started. He has been here to applaud the wins with the rest of us.

He's offering an opinion based on some undeniable facts; although two of our losses this season should have an asterisk beside them because we were without our best player. And, as Edmond and twobits pointed out each season should be considered on its own merits and not as a "trend."

That said, all this team has to do is take care of business from this point forward and any perception of a "trend" goes away. I fully expect them to do just that.

It is always funny to me when people use the facts they want to use to make their arguments.

How many years did it take Sampson to win an NCAA game, I recall a pretty good OU number 3 seed losing and then it still took several years before he won one.

My only point is I could use the argument that Samson won a tournament game in his first tournament to show that his teams were playing better than Sampsons teams at the end of the year.

This team is fine that was a good MU team at home on Senior night coming off their worst loss of the season.

I have to bump this back up. OU's lost 4 of the last 6 to end the season. That's just not good.

I have to bump this back up. OU's lost 4 of the last 6 to end the season. That's just not good.

You don't have to do anything. It's not a "disturbing trend". Look at UConn. Look at Duke. Look at Kansas.

All of these teams have multiple losses late in the season. Why? Because they all have back-loaded schedules like we do, with the tough games at the end of the season.

Get off your high horse, dude. And if you're going to be this way, go away for the rest of the year. This board has been great for intelligent basketball conversation and you're helping turn it into the other boards that I quit going to.

Back