Do we really have "no talent"?

osby is not a 5 ... .or a 4 really .. he could be a stretch 4 .. but he is a wing period ... he is going to get lots and lots of min on the wing next season

I disagree. I think he is more of a 4, then a 3. I just don't think the college game is very friendly to big 3's anymore. With a lot of teams playing 3 true guards, if you playing a big 3 that cannot defend the guards through picks, and switches, I think you are at a disadvantage.

I see Osby as a 4 in the mold of Minor/Eduardo. A 4 that can definitely step outside and hurt you, but a 4 none-the-less.

NO....

But we have limited talent...not enough

We are below average to average at the PG spot (decent decision maker but not very strong with the ball, i do think we are young at that position and with Krugers staff they could maximize and maybe get solid/consistent play out of that position)

Average at the SG spot (i think Pledger can be a solid starter but could also see him replaced with better talent, i think Newell fits in as a SG too and he has some upside at this spot)

Average to above average at the SF spot (Clark will be a superstar, but average now...Osby and Tyler Neal also could fill in nicely at this position)

Average to above average at the PF spot (Osby and Fitz make a very nice tandem at this position with Osby being able to play SF at times and Neal being able to fill in at PF at times as he matures physically)

Non-existent at C (we have no Center to speak of, the main issue for Kruger's staff)

IMO we can go another season with our current situation at PG, we cant at Center...I would rather spend our scholarships on bigs and maybe one or two pans out...rather than make the same mistake bringing in a late PG that has low to mid interest from colleges and just adds to the vanilla group we have...Save next season for bringing in a big time PG (unless Kruger already has one in mind or we can get Guererro)...

I disagree. I think he is more of a 4, then a 3. I just don't think the college game is very friendly to big 3's anymore. With a lot of teams playing 3 true guards, if you playing a big 3 that cannot defend the guards through picks, and switches, I think you are at a disadvantage.

I see Osby as a 4 in the mold of Minor/Eduardo. A 4 that can definitely step outside and hurt you, but a 4 none-the-less.

WT...you are assuming everyone combats 3 guards with man to man and follows them through picks, etc. I don't know what Kruger is going to run....but if I had size at the 3 and the other team was playing 3 guards I would probably run a zone and take my chances. Also, if they want to run three guards they are going to have to defend my big 3 at the other end....so it works both ways.

I don't know what Osby plays really....I have assumed all year maybe a 4? If he CAN play the 4 then Cam at the 3 and Osby at the 4 would be a possibility....if we can get a solid C then we could be in business.

As far as Blair goes...he may do much better in a system that doesn't rely on him making many plays with the ball. If we go into the year with Blair at the 1....hopefully he improves overall (a good possibility since he is only a soph) he may be fine...if he improves a little then hopefully coaching will make a difference.

This team wasn't far off in several conference games. We may not beat UT and KU consistently until we upgrade but we can compete with MOST of the rest of the conference with some minor upgrades and better coaching.

I think we will be a lot closer than many people think.

NO....

But we have limited talent...not enough

We are below average to average at the PG spot (decent decision maker but not very strong with the ball, i do think we are young at that position and with Krugers staff they could maximize and maybe get solid/consistent play out of that position)

Average at the SG spot (i think Pledger can be a solid starter but could also see him replaced with better talent, i think Newell fits in as a SG too and he has some upside at this spot)

Average to above average at the SF spot (Clark will be a superstar, but average now...Osby and Tyler Neal also could fill in nicely at this position)

Average to above average at the PF spot (Osby and Fitz make a very nice tandem at this position with Osby being able to play SF at times and Neal being able to fill in at PF at times as he matures physically)

Non-existent at C (we have no Center to speak of, the main issue for Kruger's staff)

IMO we can go another season with our current situation at PG, we cant at Center...I would rather spend our scholarships on bigs and maybe one or two pans out...rather than make the same mistake bringing in a late PG that has low to mid interest from colleges and just adds to the vanilla group we have...Save next season for bringing in a big time PG (unless Kruger already has one in mind or we can get Guererro)...

I thought Guerrero committed to osu?

he did.....posters are hoping LK and Co. can get in his ear and change his mind before he signs.

Is there any reason to believe that Lon has any interest in the kid? Did he recruit him while at UNLV? I'm certainly not against it; just wondering.

Is there any reason to believe that Lon has any interest in the kid? Did he recruit him while at UNLV? I'm certainly not against it; just wondering.

I think it is more wishful thinking from the posters standpoint than anything else.

I think it is more wishful thinking from the posters standpoint than anything else.

No harm in that. As I recall, less than 36 hours ago most of us were wishing OU could attract a coach with a resumé/track record as good as Lon Kruger.

Eh, we don't have NO talent, but we don't have a lot and we are very thin. Combined with the fact that we are losing our best player, anything better than an NIT bid is gravy in my book.

Exactly. I can already see the unrealistic expectations kicking in.

OUr fans often cause me to::facepalm:facepalm

I had been thinking of Osby as a center. I'm not glad to be corrected. I agree that a center is our biggest need. Next I would say is a point guard who can shoot and play defense.

Our biggest problems are quality depth, defense, and rebounding, IMO.

The last two can improve with good coaching. How quickly? We'll have to wait and see. But we need bodies for depth. Our starting lineup provided way too many of our points. Lon will have to bring in 2 or 3 guys who can contribute immediately or we are in for a tough year.

As we all know, we must have another PG who can give us minutes, as well as 1 or 2 bigs.

However, we are a young team with lots of experience returning. You have to assume guys will improve with experience and solid coaching.

I won't get all worked up over this coming season, but I would have expected around 18 wins if capel had stayed. I expect the same now, assuming Goff is in, and a PG who can give us minutes. Probably NIT material unless the guys just totally gel.

Is Goff that good? His stats are similar to that of Nick Thompson. And that really worked out.

Is Goff that good? His stats are similar to that of Nick Thompson. And that really worked out.

I think the biggest differences you will see are:

1.Thompson wanted to be more of a face up, outside-type player and Goff will be more of an inside type guy.

2.Goff will be more athletic and will be able to do more on the defensive side.

Both will be positives for the team.......and upgrades. Not saying he will be a savior but it will help in the defense and rebounding department.

Would love to see Kruger and Co get in touch with Jurick and convince him to come to OU....that would be a huge get!

osby is not a 5 ... .or a 4 really .. he could be a stretch 4 .. but he is a wing period ... he is going to get lots and lots of min on the wing next season

Capel was going to play him on the wing. If Kruger needs him inside, he will play inside.

Lon will take the best 5 and make something that resembles a competitive basketball team. If that means Osby has to play inside then that will happen.

It's not about what the players want anymore, it's about where they fit into the scheme.

I think the biggest differences you will see are:

1.Thompson wanted to be more of a face up, outside-type player and Goff will be more of an inside type guy.

2.Goff will be more athletic and will be able to do more on the defensive side.

Both will be positives for the team.......and upgrades. Not saying he will be a savior but it will help in the defense and rebounding department.

Would love to see Kruger and Co get in touch with Jurick and convince him to come to OU....that would be a huge get!

So do we know if Goff is still coming or not?? Alot of posters seemed to think that he was not going to be eligible or something.

So do we know if Goff is still coming or not?? Alot of posters seemed to think that he was not going to be eligible or something.

Eligibility was a question according to a poster on OUI. He claimed to have good sources that said Goff wasn't attending classes. Bad thing is, we won't know whether his sources are good until the semester is over.

Capel was going to play him on the wing. If Kruger needs him inside, he will play inside.

Lon will take the best 5 and make something that resembles a competitive basketball team. If that means Osby has to play inside then that will happen.
It's not about what the players want anymore, it's about where they fit into the scheme.

Hope he doesn't get slammed for doing so. That is exactly why Cade had to play inside this yr, and many on here killed JC for it... Funny how one coach will play the best 5 and he is pathetic, another does so and the attitude is so be it.....

Hope he doesn't get slammed for doing so. That is exactly why Cade had to play inside this yr, and many on here killed JC for it... Funny how one coach will play the best 5 and he is pathetic, another does so and the attitude is so be it.....

I didn't slam Capel for playing Cade inside. Cade had to be on the court at all times and so did Clark, and Fitz, and a PG. Cade is not a 2 and Clark isn't physical enough, or wasn't last year to play the 4.

Back