Does Capel use the Thunder as a recruiting tool?

Sooner23

Reaction score
What is there to do in Norman? Well, there are NBA games about 20 minutes down the road you can go watch live when we're not playing. Do you think Capel uses that sales pitch, or do you think the guys are too busy during the season for that to be a factor?

Although I don't think the entertainment value of the Thunder is a huge pitch, I see both OU basketball players at the games every now and then, especially when marquee teams are in town, so they're not necessarily too busy to make it to any games. I saw half of the OU basketball team get off an elevator at the Ford Center during one of the Laker games last season, and that game was in the middle of OU's season.

It certainly can't hurt! Especially when some of the Thunder come to OU basketball games like Kevin Durant did a few times last year. Rubbing elbows with some of the best in the NBA would only seem appealing (as long as no improprieties are taking place)

Capel was there last night. Probably checking out the Thunder and Taylor Griffin. It's a lot of fun at Thunder games, why wouldn't he go on off nights and have players go too?

Heck, he's got that advantage over Austin, Stillwater, Lawrence etc, why not use it?

I'm sure he does, it'd be silly not too.

I do remember that there's some sort of rule for entertainment during official visits, that you can travel 30 or 45 miles away but nor farther. I remember, because OU can take recruits to Thunder games, and OSU can't.

I'm sure he does, it'd be silly not too.

I do remember that there's some sort of rule for entertainment during official visits, that you can travel 30 or 45 miles away but nor farther. I remember, because OU can take recruits to Thunder games, and OSU can't.
That seems fair to me! :)

I think more than anything the Thunder being here sort of legitimizes Oklahoma as a place recruits can come play basketball. It gives us some cred in other words. I'm sure coach Capel has mentioned it from time to time or just shooting the breeze with some recruits he has talked about the Thunder.

Back