Drew got another one

BigTime

The Red Wig
Reaction score
4 star (2009) Mark McLaughlin (6'5 SG) is going to sign Sunday night with the Bears.

Source Link

He had offers from Nevada, Illinois, and Washington State. Another good three point shooter with height for Bears.

Wow.......

Baylor becoming the Mecca of college hoops.:mad::mad:

Gotta be CHEATING!!!!!

I really do think they have a decent chance at the dance next year. People are going to be suprised with what Udoh (Edmond product) will do for that line-up.

Tweety
Nolan Dennis
Lace Dunn
Acey
Udoh

They definately have the talent to make the dance, and some serious noise in the Big 12. I thought that they had the talent this past season, and severely underachieved. We shall see how Drew uses the talent this yr.

They definately have the talent to make the dance, and some serious noise in the Big 12. I thought that they had the talent this past season, and severely underachieved. We shall see how Drew uses the talent this yr.

No doubt. They should have been a lot better last year. The biggest difference that I see between this and last years' squads is added height and length at the guard spots, and a big that makes his presence felt as a shot blocker and rebounder.

Can those guards defend despite Drew's best attempt to hold them down? lol That will determine if they go or not.

There has been some speculation on Drew's recruiting tactics on this and other boards.

Are people just spouting off when they say Drew is dirty or are their legs to it? No one really says, they just dance around the issue.

Could it be that he is a young and energetic coach that kids relate and want to play for?

There has been some speculation on Drew's recruiting tactics on this and other boards.

Are people just spouting off when they say Drew is dirty or are their legs to it? No one really says, they just dance around the issue.

Could it be that he is a young and energetic coach that kids relate and want to play for?

I follow recruiting closely and root for Baylor. But I also root for OU, A&M and Missouri. I believe it is the latter with Drew. I don't think he cheats. I read lots of unsubstantiated allegations about him. No sources are ever given except for some Rick Barnes innuendos in the NY Times the day after Baylor beat UT. Barnes thought at the time that John Wall was headed to Baylor. Wall is a program changing talent.

I have a friend on Baylor's staff. He thinks highly of Drew. Everyone from maintenance men to office assistants that work for Baylor sing Drew's praises. He has a way of making everyone feel special.

I had another friend that worked for BCG at A&M. I asked him what he thought of Baylor's staff? I was shocked to hear nothing but positive things. I thought Drew was a pariah in the coaching community. There is probably an unwritten code that coaches protect their own.

I understand why fans think they are cheating. Big East fans are saying that about Villanova. ACC fans are saying it about Wake. You sign top 25 classes and you aren't State U then you will be accused. But I don't understand the obsession with OU fans. I mean OU has owned Baylor. They don't lose many
head to head recruiting battles- Udoh and Dennis are the only two I can think of.

Last edited:
Thanks for the insight.

Just wondering because I have heard a lot of innuendo but no real specifics. I don't root for Baylor but a strong Big 12 is good for OU, imo.

Lets just say where there is smoke theres fire. I've heard too many rumors from different sources for it not to have legs and it all goes back to the WW recruitment. There is a reason his Mom pulled him from Baylor. What he is doing I have no clue, it may not even be him but boosters. Regardless he is getting one heck of a class.

You got a Baylor fan's perspective....now for an "objective" (nothing is completely objective) one. I have nothing against Baylor. I actually root for them to do well in everything except women's basketball.

I also follow Texas high school recruiting and have made some good contacts that follow it much closer than I. I have had three folks swear up and down that there is some foul play going on in Waco. Again, these folks have no reason to hate on Baylor. One of them cited a couple of specific recruitments, but thanks to DarthHusker, I am not going to just throw names out there. I can't proove anything.

There has got to be at least something going here between Drew, Tang, or some donors. It may not be as major as what has been going on at UCONN for years, but there has got to be something. Sadly, I doubt we'll ever know unless people get careless. :( Such is AAU and college basketball recruiting.

The good news for Oklahoma fans is that this guy :jcapel will continue to pull in good recruits from Texas regardless of what Drew or anyone else is doing.

Last edited:
I understand why fans think they are cheating. Big East fans are saying that about Villanova. ACC fans are saying it about Wake. You sign top 25 classes and you aren't State U then you will be accused. But I don't understand the obsession with OU fans. I mean OU has owned Baylor. They don't lose many
head to head recruiting battles- Udoh and Dennis are the only two I can think of.

Nova has won a championship and has been good for a long time....bad example. I am not accusing Texas A&M (as much as I despise Turgeon). I am not accusing Kansas State. I am just stating what I have been told. Lots of smoke going around. Maybe its all just made up? Not likely imo.

As for Dennis, think what you want about the situation, but OU wasn't after him as hard as people may think. It was a lot of internet speculation.

I give you props for Udoh. OU, OSU, and Baylor all wanted him bad. OSU made the most sense, but somehow Baylor got him. Congrats.

One of WW's AAU coaches- Shelton- was very tight with Baylor. But he never pimped him. Baylor recruited WW harder and longer than any school. It is not surprising that he gave them a verbal and then decided the lure of playing with BG was too good to pass up.

Saying Big 12 coaches don't like Drew is untrue. Barnes doesn't like him and the feeling is mutual. Danny Manning continually told Perry Jones that Drew to Arizona was only a matter of time. So there is a rift there. As far as I know no other issues. Drew's negative recruiting was way, way blown out of proportion by Bobby Knight. We know Knight is a jewel...

You all may have love and respect for Rick Barnes for all I know. He has a history of conflict and media accusations. Google Barnes and Dean Smith. Barnes will use the media to stir things up. You know how the smoke and fire works. One or two "articles" by media sources and all of a sudden it is gospel. I would not be surprised if some big12 assistants frustrated by Baylor's recruiting success place innuendos in parents/coaches minds. Scott is a nice guy, but... Or I hear things...

BigTime- can you pm me what you are hearing? I am curious. I have no deep allegiance to Baylor. I have a friend on staff. If he left, I probably don't follow them close. I just don't like seeing a group of guys who work hard and are great at forming relationships (Drew/Tang and Driscoll- although Driscoll just took a head job)... get their reputations assaulted by baseless claims.

A lot of Baylor's success recruiting Texas is helped by Dawson and Lindsey- front office for Rockets and Spurs. They are both avid Baylor supporters and have opened relationship doors for Drew and co.

Personally I think Baylor's length and Udoh make Drew a better coach next year. Rogers, Jerrells and Dugat were all talented but certainly not "smart" basketball players. Udoh was by far their best player in practice last year- offense and defense.

Last edited:
BigTime- can you pm me what you are hearing? I am curious. I have no deep allegiance to Baylor. I have a friend on staff. If he left, I probably don't follow them close. I just don't like seeing a group of guys who work hard and are great at forming relationships (Drew/Tang and Driscoll- although Driscoll just took a head job)... get their reputations assaulted by baseless claims.

A lot of Baylor's success recruiting Texas is helped by Dawson and Lindsey- front office for Rockets and Spurs. They are both avid Baylor supporters and have opened relationship doors for Drew and co.

Personally I think Baylor's length and Udoh make Drew a better coach next year. Rogers, Jerrells and Dugat were all talented but certainly not "smart" basketball players. Udoh was by far their best player in practice last year- offense and defense.

I am not sure why your friend would tell you anything (or even know anything). Most likely, he or she is probably a GA, Trainer, or office worker. As for Udoh being, by far, the best offensive player on that team last year....not a chance. :ez-roll:

Ekpe is a grade A shot blocker and a really good rebounder, but don't expect him to average double figures next year.

Sending PM now.

Lets just say where there is smoke theres fire. I've heard too many rumors from different sources for it not to have legs and it all goes back to the WW recruitment. There is a reason his Mom pulled him from Baylor. What he is doing I have no clue, it may not even be him but boosters. Regardless he is getting one heck of a class.

His mom had him pull his commitment from Baylor because they stink and couldn't get him the NBA love he needed. I certainly hope WW wasn't looking to get paid.

It will be really interesting to see what Drew can do with this group during a year in which the Big 12 promises to be really good. I think it will tell what type of Xs and Os coach Homer Drew's kid can really be....

They will be battling with Mizzou, ISU, and Nebraska for that 7th and final tourney spot. It may come down to which of those teams plays the best nonconference schedule and who gets the most quality nonconf wins.

I say they make the dance (along with KU, UT, OU, KSU, OSU, and A&M).

I should have clarified with Udoh that he was the best post player offensively in practice including Rogers. The best offensive player overall by the end of the season was either Dunn or Jerrells.

Ekpe was always picked first in pick-up games. Now, we will see what he does when the lights come on. Practice and live game situations are two different things.

Here is an analogy with Drew that I think makes sense. I was at an AAU event in Dallas last summer. Lots of coaches were there. Drew and Travis Ford were talking before the game started- laughing it up. Then a few of the parents of players started to trickle in. Drew excused himself and went to greet them.

I think Drew is the guy at the office that doesn't sit around the water cooler and make friends. Other guys in the office don't like him because he makes them look bad to the boss. Lots of coaches put in long hours. But many of them aren't extroverts by nature. They would rather watch a game with their coaching buddies than make small talk with players' relatives. And when the coach has BAYLOR in huge letters across his shirt, it irritates them. That in a nutshell is what we have here.

I should have clarified with Udoh that he was the best post player offensively in practice including Rogers. The best offensive player overall by the end of the season was either Dunn or Jerrells.

Ekpe was always picked first in pick-up games. Now, we will see what he does when the lights come on. Practice and live game situations are two different things.

Here is an analogy with Drew that I think makes sense. I was at an AAU event in Dallas last summer. Lots of coaches were there. Drew and Travis Ford were talking before the game started- laughing it up. Then a few of the parents of players started to trickle in. Drew excused himself and went to greet them.

I think Drew is the guy at the office that doesn't sit around the water cooler and make friends. Other guys in the office don't like him because he makes them look bad to the boss. Lots of coaches put in long hours. But many of them aren't extroverts by nature. They would rather watch a game with their coaching buddies than make small talk with players' relatives. And when the coach has BAYLOR in huge letters across his shirt, it irritates them. That in a nutshell is what we have here.

I'm not questioning whether or not Drew is good at what he does. It sounds like he is by your stories. That doesn't mean that something extra isn't going here. Both things could be happening. Cheating plus being good at recruiting = REALLY good recruiting. Is that happening? No one has any proof, but to discard all the smoke is pretty naive imo.

I also think it is bogus to think that a guy like Ford (or any other good recruiter) would not be greeting recruits' relatives and doing the necessary things to be successful at recruiting.

Ask TMG's mom or WW's mom how much they like and respect Coach Capel or Coach Cline.

One interesting aspect mentioned by some is that Baylor may be able to use their strong Baptist roots to help with recruiting. Its a good strategy and may account for some kids (and more importantly parents) choosing that school as a viable option to play basketball (or any other sport).

Last edited:
Back