Drew got another one

Something is very wrong. We are talking BU.

I bet the NCAA looks at this man. Not to say he is cheating but he might be walking a fine line. Wonder what is up in Waco?

By that logic every program that improves is cheating. Some kids and parents prefer some of the intangibles that a smaller school like Baylor, Duke, Xavier, Georgetown or Wake brings to the table. Baylor's facilities are as good as anyone.

His mom had him pull his commitment from Baylor because they stink and couldn't get him the NBA love he needed. I certainly hope WW wasn't looking to get paid.

WW wasn't looking to get paid but from what heard they were willing to "pay" him and that is why Mom intervened, she didn't want her son having any part of that. Again I heard this from several different sources with no allegiance to each other and where there is smoke there's fire. I just don't know if its Drew himself or a booster, assistant coach or what.

By that logic every program that improves is cheating. Some kids and parents prefer some of the intangibles that a smaller school like Baylor, Duke, Xavier, Georgetown or Wake brings to the table. Baylor's facilities are as good as anyone.

No one is saying that.

Comparing Baylor to Duke, Georgetown or Wake is laughable. Those are three basketball schools with rabid basketball fans.

Baylor's facilities are adequate to allow them to compete in today's recruiting world. I will give you that.

I am just asking you to show a little objectivity here. You are being blinded by your friend imo.

Here is an analogy with Drew that I think makes sense. I was at an AAU event in Dallas last summer. Lots of coaches were there. Drew and Travis Ford were talking before the game started- laughing it up. Then a few of the parents of players started to trickle in. Drew excused himself and went to greet them.I think Drew is the guy at the office that doesn't sit around the water cooler and make friends. Other guys in the office don't like him because he makes them look bad to the boss. Lots of coaches put in long hours. But many of them aren't extroverts by nature. They would rather watch a game with their coaching buddies than make small talk with players' relatives.

I have no deep allegiance to Baylor.

You don't seem to know anything about travis ford. If you ask me ford makes drew look like an introvert. Oh and to come onto an OU message board, make your first post a thread defending scott drew and then you say you have no deep allegiance to Baylor. Seems to me you do.

You don't seem to know anything about travis ford. If you ask me ford makes drew look like an introvert. Oh and to come onto an OU message board, make your first post a thread defending scott drew and then you say you have no deep allegiance to Baylor. Seems to me you do.

That may be true about Ford. I was only giving an example. Ford probably was not recruiting the same guy that Drew was that day. I saw what I saw and I was giving it as an illustration to make my point. What I have learned so far from posting on the OU board:

Defend Scott Drew- get bombarded by criticism.

Make comments about Travis Ford and Rick Barnes and they are treated like sacred cows here.

Wow- the times are a changing...

Tweety
Nolan Dennis
Lace Dunn
Acey
Udoh

That lineup is no more talented than they had last year. In fact, when you take away Rogers, I could argue that it is less talented. Dunn is a stud, but he is a shooter only. Calvin Curry if you will. Tweety isn't a guy that needs to be your best or 2nd best guard either. Dennis looks solid, but he'll be a true frosh. I just really don't see Udoh and Acey being better than Rogers and the assortment of bigs he was paired with this year.

I look for a similiar season, maybe a slightly better record, but likely no Dance.

That may be true about Ford. I was only giving an example. Ford probably was not recruiting the same guy that Drew was that day. I saw what I saw and I was giving it as an illustration to make my point. What I have learned so far from posting on the OU board:

Make comments about Travis Ford and Rick Barnes and they are treated like sacred cows here.

So DFWHoopster let me see if I can summarize all of your posts in one sentence:

You have a friend on the Baylor staff and that friend states that there is no cheating whatsoever going on and that Drew is a great guy.

Surely you jest.

That lineup is no more talented than they had last year. In fact, when you take away Rogers, I could argue that it is less talented. Dunn is a stud, but he is a shooter only. Calvin Curry if you will. Tweety isn't a guy that needs to be your best or 2nd best guard either. Dennis looks solid, but he'll be a true frosh. I just really don't see Udoh and Acey being better than Rogers and the assortment of bigs he was paired with this year.
I look for a similiar season, maybe a slightly better record, but likely no Dance.

I think they will be better for two reasons (well lets make that three reasons) 1. Defense 2. Defense 3. Defense

Dennis, Crump, and the guy in the op will be an upgrade in defense on the perimeter with added length.

As for Acey, he will be a year older and hopefully a year wiser (aka not pick up three fouls in 5 minutes).

Udoh will be the big key to their improvement imo. The guy averaged nearly 3 blocks per game at meatchicken. He will be an enforcerer in the post which they haven't had in years.

Oh yeah, and they will have two less ball hogs on the team (Lace will hopefully be the only one).

Carl's an aggie, so of course he will treat Ford like a Hindi cow. That said, its common knowledge how extroverted and aggressive Ford is with his recruiting.

I have no beef with Barnes and haven't heard about anything bad regarding his recruiting methods.

Well I don't mean to be an a hole dfw. I honestly have no idea whether or not drew is the guy you say he is. I just don't see why you are subtly trying to say don't care about baylor when you do and there is nothing wrong with being a fan. Anyone can respect that.

Big Time I have explained myself on ouinsider before. I have never said I'm not an osu fan. I was raised that way. I attend OU and have loved capel since he has been here. Unfortunately kelvin made it tough for me to like OU, so it has been a slow process of warming up to the program. I enjoy all the info and the big 12 talk this site brings.

Well I don't mean to be an a hole dfw. I honestly have no idea whether or not drew is the guy you say he is. I just don't see why you are subtly trying to say don't care about baylor when you do and there is nothing wrong with being a fan. Anyone can respect that.

Big Time I have explained myself on ouinsider before. I have never said I'm not an osu fan. I was raised that way. I attend OU and have loved capel since he has been here. Unfortunately kelvin made it tough for me to like OU, so it has been a slow process of warming up to the program. I enjoy all the info and the big 12 talk this site brings.

Carl- I never said I wasn't a fan of Baylor. I grew up on the East Coast as a Maryland fan. So my fandom of Baylor is a recent thing. I also root for A&M (my wife's school) and Missouri.

I like Ford personally and think they play an exciting brand of basketball. I was at the big 12 tournament in OKC and had a chance to talk to Anthony Brown- nice kid. Ford is probably very outgoing. And if I think about it, most head coaches are. Assistants are a different story. Some of them are assistants because they love to develop kids, watch film and tend to be more introverted. Some are assistants because they love to recruit and develop realationships. Baylor has more of the latter and not the former. Drew would be the first to admit they need a grey hair who knows X's and O's to continue the program's improvements.

I will shut up about this. But Drew really gets unfairly criticized for his coaching. Here's a quick take of what we has had to work with and results since he took over:

2003-2004 Baylor 8-21 3-13 11th (best players transferred and had to rely on walk-ons)
2004-2005 Baylor 9-19 1-15 12th (returned ONE scholarship player)
2005-2006 Baylor 4-13 4-12 12th (banned from non-conference games did sweep the Aggies)
2006-2007 Baylor 15-16 4-12 11th (almost all FR/SO players)
2007-2008 Baylor 21-11 9-7 T4th (made NCAA for the first time in 50 yrs)
2008-2009 Baylor 24-15 5-11 9th (Big 12 Tourney and NIT runner-ups)

They should have had a 8-8 to 10-6 team this year in conference based on the talent they had. But my buddy tells me that Drew tried to insist the seniors play harder defense and they rebelled. This led to a lot of friction in the locker room. Losing streaks do that. Somehow, he got them refocused in the big 12 and NIT tournaments.

Lace Dunn was the key. Instead of jacking the first off balance 3 that he got... He started taking the ball aggressively to the hole. Good things started to happen for the Bears when he did that.

I realize this is an OU site and I will shut up about the Bears :) Thanks for humoring me. When I post in the future, it will be an OU related topic.

Last edited:
I realize this is an OU site and I will shut up about the Bears Thanks for humoring me. When I post in the future, it will be an OU related topic.

Just post whatever you want. We talk about all Big 12 teams here.

I feel the same way. DFW you are more than welcome to post as you please about drew, baylor, or anything else. Like I said thats what I love about this board. We talk more than just OU bball, but the big 12 as a whole. You don't find that on many boards. The fact that there are a good amount of osu, ku, kstate, etc. fans and are well received just shows that this is probably one of the better if not the best big 12 school bball boards out there.

Carl- I never said I wasn't a fan of Baylor. I just said I don't have deep allegiance to them. I grew up on the East Coast as a Maryland fan. So my fandom of Baylor is a recent thing. I also root for A&M (my wife's school), OU and Missouri. I probably favor Baylor over all of those due to some relationships. But I don't bleed green and gold.

I like Ford personally and think they play an exciting brand of basketball. I was at the big 12 tournament in OKC and had a chance to talk to Anthony Brown- nice kid. Ford is probably very outgoing. And if I think about it, most head coaches are. Assistants are a different story. Some of them are assistants because they love to develop kids, watch film and tend to be more introverted. Some are assistants because they love to recruit and develop realationships. Baylor has more of the latter and not the former. Drew would be the first to admit they need a grey hair who knows X's and O's to continue the program's improvements.

I will shut up about this. But Drew really gets unfairly criticized for his coaching. Here's a quick take of what we has had to work with and results since he took over:

2003-2004 Baylor 8-21 3-13 11th (best players transferred and had to rely on walk-ons)
2004-2005 Baylor 9-19 1-15 12th (returned ONE scholarship player)
2005-2006 Baylor 4-13 4-12 12th (banned from non-conference games did sweep the Aggies)
2006-2007 Baylor 15-16 4-12 11th (almost all FR/SO players)
2007-2008 Baylor 21-11 9-7 T4th (made NCAA for the first time in 50 yrs)
2008-2009 Baylor 24-15 5-11 9th (Big 12 Tourney and NIT runner-ups)

They should have had a 8-8 to 10-6 team this year in conference based on the talent they had. But my buddy tells me that Drew tried to insist the seniors play harder defense and they rebelled. This led to a lot of friction in the locker room. Losing streaks do that. Somehow, he got them refocused in the big 12 and NIT tournaments.

Lace Dunn was the key. Instead of jacking the first off balance 3 that he got... He started taking the ball aggressively to the hole. Good things started to happen for the Bears when he did that.

I realize this is an OU site and I will shut up about the Bears :) Thanks for humoring me. When I post in the future, it will be an OU related topic.

I agree with the others. We enjoy talking Big 12 hoops on here and welcome your input. I am a big fan of the Big 12 south and hope Baylor makes it in over ISU or Mizzou next year.

You better not tell too many fellow Baylor fans that you also root for A&M and OU or you might get into some trouble. :ez-laugh:

As for Drew, you provided a different opinion on the subject than I have heard from other guys that follow the aau circuit. I am going to believe the guys that have given me a lot of info in the past on such matters. No offense. I don't think anyone on here is doubting that Tang and Drew are good recruiters and would probably do pretty well even if there wasn't any extra stuff going on.....

Good luck next year. I am looking forward to watching Udoh perform in the Big 12.

Carl,

I was just making a play on the cow thing. I figured you would come around quite a bit to Coach Capel....its hard not to. Sampson wasn't for everyone, and that was part of the problem when trying to build a larger fanbase for OU basketball. Did you get to attend many games this year and who did you root for when OSU came to town? :jcapel:ford

I made to a couple of games this year. I went to the KU here in norman and osu here in norman, and i'll admit I was rooting for osu although I went decked out in ou gear. It was a confusing couple of hours for me, lol.

I made to a couple of games this year. I went to the KU here in norman and osu here in norman, and i'll admit I was rooting for osu although I went decked out in ou gear. It was a confusing couple of hours for me, lol.

haha I bet.

Back