ESPN Dayton Scouting report.

jackson_supersooner

Reaction score
Good read
After a sensational run to the Elite Eight a year ago, the Dayton Flyers were able to overcome an early-season setback and finish second in the Atlantic 10. Archie Miller's program now has back-to-back tournament appearances for the first time in more than a decade. Dayton has enough experience to do some damage, but can the Flyers overcome a thin bench and make some magic?

ESPN Insider has your answers, as Joe Lunardi has enlisted a team of Bracketologists to go deep on each team. Additionally, Joey Brackets will let you know how far he feels each team can go.

TOURNEY PROFILE
Best wins: Texas A&M, at Miami, at VCU, Rhode Island

Worst losses: at Duquesne, at La Salle

Conference finish: 2nd, Atlantic 10

Polls and metrics: Dayton ranked in the top 50 of the KenPom and BPI rankings for most of the season, and had a brief stint in both the AP and coaches polls in late January.

All-time tourney record: 17-17, one Final Four

Coach's tourney record: Archie Miller (3-1)

Bracketology chart | BPI information

PERSONNEL
(Note: Player statistics are for the regular season only.)

STARTING LINEUP

F Kendall Pollard (12.5 PPG, 5.4 RPG)
F Dyshawn Pierre (13.0 PPG, 8.1 RPG)
G Jordan Sibert (16.6 PPG, 1.6 SPG )
G Scoochie Smith (8.5 PPG, 3.8 APG)
G Kyle Davis (7.4 PPG, 2.5 APG)

Key Bench Players

G Darrell Davis (4.7 PPG, 1.6 RPG)
F Bobby Wehrli (8.2 PPG, 6.9 RPG)

Biggest strength: The Flyers boast a balanced rotation chock full of athletic talent and speed. Sibert is a deadeye from deep, Pierre does a little bit of everything and Pollard makes up for a lack of size down low. Dayton prides itself on sharing the ball and has multiple options from the perimeter.

Biggest weakness: Lack of size and depth. The dismissal of Devon Scott and Jalen Robinson left the Flyers without a true big man and a seven-man rotation with no player over 6-foot-6 (one of whom is a walk-on). They're uber-athletic and efficient on offense, but foul trouble could be a major issue.

Best player: Sibert. The Ohio State transfer is the Flyers' go-to. He can score in a variety of ways but leans primarily on the arc (60 percent of his attempts are 3s). When he's on, it opens things up for his teammates and creates the type of balance that helps Dayton thrive.

X factor: Pierre. The junior forward has had to play way bigger than his 6-6, 230-pound frame, but he's been up to the challenge. He's active off the dribble, an above-average passer and shoots it at a high percentage. When he's having a good day, the Flyers likely are, too. When he struggles, they'll lose games they shouldn't (see UMass and La Salle).

SCOUTING REPORT
Offensive approach: The Flyers spread their scoring, with no starter averaging less than seven points a game. Their quick guards make for good dribble penetration, opening up the perimeter and helping them get to the line in bunches.

Defensive approach: Dayton primarily plays man-to-man, with Smith taking chances and anticipating the passing lanes and Davis locking down the opponent's top perimeter player. The Flyers use their quickness to take away the 3-point line, making for a lot of one-and-done trips. They rebound better than you'd think and make second-chance points a tough task.

How they beat you: The Flyers are at their best when they push the tempo, getting good looks from the outside and spreading the scoring. Their balance makes them a tough defensive assignment and they play with an energy that's tough to match, even with added depth.

How you beat them: It's not by accident that Sibert and Pierre are this team's top two scorers. Dayton thrives when it gets consistency from its two most seasoned veterans. When one or both are struggling, the Flyers have to turn elsewhere, and the results haven't always been pretty.

WHAT THE NUMBERS SAY
(Note: All statistics in this section are courtesy of kenpom.com and are accurate through games of March 8.)

NATIONAL RANKS

Offensive efficiency, 76th (106.8)
Defensive efficiency, 32nd (93.9)
3-point percentage, 99th (35.9)
3-point percentage D, 22nd (30.3)
Free throw rate, 2nd (49.1)
Free throw rate D, 47th (30.9)
TO percentage, 93rd (18.0)
TO percentage D, 90th (20.5)

Good stat: 49.1 free throw rate
The Flyers rank second in the country in this category, meaning they get to the charity stripe a ton. This number suggests that almost half the time Dayton attempts to score, it finds its way to the line. The ability to get there and hit free throws can sometimes be the difference in a tight game in late March.

Bad stat: 18.0 turnover percentage
Dayton gives up the ball on nearly one-fifth of its possessions, which isn't terrible, but still ranks 93rd in the nation. The Flyers should be mindful of any opponent generating steals at a high rate.

HOW FAR WILL THEY GO?
Best-case scenario: Third round
Dayton has enough talent to win its opening matchup in this year's field, but it will depend on just that -- the matchup. The dream opponent is one that lacks the team speed to keep up with the Flyers, especially on the perimeter. Coach Miller's squad can exploit its mismatches, get to the line and take away the arc to advance to the next round.

Worst-case scenario: Second-round exit
Dayton has done a really good job managing its lack of depth and size, but you wonder if heavy legs and foul trouble will catch up with the Flyers. At some point, they will run into an opponent that can counter their speed and has the size to exploit a smaller frontcourt/the depth to wear them out. Unfortunately, that could come in their first game of the tournament.

Good find, Jackson! I had two thoughts after reading this scouting report. This is a game OU can win. Dayton is definitely not a team we can take lightly.

Our defensive Efficiency vs their Offensive Efficiency is the best matchup there. Looks like they guard the 3pt line really well. I say we do EXACTLY what we did against Albany. Go inside to Thomas and let him facilitate from the interior. Let him get going, defense then collapses then he kicks it out to our bevy of 3 point shooters. If all things go well Thomas should have 18+ again and 4+ assists.

Good find, Jackson! I had two thoughts after reading this scouting report. This is a game OU can win. Dayton is definitely not a team we can take lightly.

To a T my brother from Ada! Dayton is no joke. Won 27 games and has rock solid perimeter D. I say we make them play our game. But Thomas needs to come out just like he did against Albany. Rest to pound with those 6'6" 230+ Boys. And if he can do it against ex-rugby players he can do it against these guys too!

It's amazing to think that Dayton is looking to win their 6th tournament game in the last 2 years...so no they definitely should not be taken lightly...like Jackson said..pound it inside and get their bigs in foul trouble..they have serious depth concerns

They will run with us, so the game should be higher scoring. Honestly, I thought they looked a little like ISU but not as good.

Rebounding and post scoring and defense have to be our calling cards. If spangler can stay out of foul trouble he and Lattin with fresh legs should be able to control the boards.

They're small and lack depth but they're very active and athletic. They play a good man - to - man and put a lot of pressure on the ball. They'll certainly double Thomas in the paint and we have to make them pay for it. We should be able to play inside-out and get perimeter shots or layups down low for Spangler.

They can hurt us with pressure defense if we don't take care of the ball and with dribble penetration. They get to the line often and shoot it well when they're there. We absolutely have to lock up their guards and keep them out of the lane.

I don't see them like Iowa St. ISU is bigger, deeper, and not as good defensively. Dayton is very good defensively, despite their lack of size. I see them more like West Virginia. WVU is deeper and taller with Devin Williams and play full court but both teams play tough pressure defense and try to turn defense into offense. They both try to score almost exclusively through dribble penetration and dishing or kicking out for the 3. Neither are especially good offensively if kept on the perimeter and forced into half - court offense.

We need to do what we do, trying to get points in transition to prevent them from getting settled in the half-court. I think the fact that they'll basically have 1 to prepare helps us because Thomas and our transition game are hard to prepare for. Most importantly, we must take care of the ball and prevent dribble penetration. If we do those things, we'll be on to the Sweet 16.

They will run with us, so the game should be higher scoring. Honestly, I thought they looked a little like ISU but not as good.

Hmmm. I don't see this at all...they are more defensive. ISU doesn't play any defense. Not even close to the size or matchup issues that ISU creates...they are decent 3 point team I guess if that's what you mean? But they make their living by playing good perimeter D and running the floor in transition.

I'm hoping they will have tired legs. If we guard the 3 and take care of the ball we will win.

Officiating will play a huge part too. They get to the line a lot and they lack depth. How the game is called will be a key.

Hmmm. I don't see this at all...they are more defensive. ISU doesn't play any defense. Not even close to the size or matchup issues that ISU creates...they are decent 3 point team I guess if that's what you mean? But they make their living by playing good perimeter D and running the floor in transition.

Agree. Not really like Iowa State at all. They thrive on turnovers. Mayor's bunch is quite poor in that area.

Back