Ford Embraces Life at OSU >>> The Edmond Sun

BigTime

The Red Wig
Reaction score
Jeff Harrison
The Edmond Sun

Source Link

Travis Ford has experienced a number of big college basketball games and heated rivalries. And while the Oklahoma State men’s basketball coach heard about the Bedlam rivalry, it didn’t quite sink in until he first took the floor against the Sooners.

“I had been part of a lot of rivalries with Kentucky and Louisville, but I have to say after being part of three different games, nothing really matches the Bedlam series,” said Ford during the Edmond Rotary Club meeting at Henderson Hills Baptist Church.

That amazement only peaked when the Cowboys pulled out a victory over Oklahoma in the Big 12 Tournament at the Ford Center. The game was dubbed by many as an instant classic and Ford could not disagree.

“I’ve been a part of many great games and that one against Oklahoma was one of the most exciting games I’d been part of,” said Ford, who also played on the Kentucky team that lost to Duke on Christian Laettner’s famous buzzer beater.

While Ford said he’s enjoyed his first season in Stillwater, he admits the decision to leave the University of Massachusetts wasn’t an easy one. After posting 25 wins with the Minutemen in 2007, several schools came knocking, but Ford said he wanted to see his team could do the following season. That all changed when he got a call from OSU Athletic Director Mike Holder.

“People asked why Oklahoma State and not LSU and these other schools and I said at Oklahoma State you have a chance to win a championship and you have a chance to recruit nationally,” Ford said.

Ford said he was even more impressed when he began interacting with the Oklahoma State community.

“What I have seen in the past year is different than anywhere else I’ve ever been,” Ford said. “This is my fourth program I played at Kentucky and even a year at Missouri. I’ve never seen a closeness, a family type atmosphere, a true loyalty to a school like the Oklahoma State alumni and fans have. I’ve never experienced it. I tell a lot of fans, but they don’t know the difference. I tell them it’s not like this everywhere else and it’s great to be a part of.”

Ford’s optimism has carried over to the upcoming season as the Cowboys look to have a good mix of experienced players and incoming freshmen. OSU has several key players back including James Anderson, Marshall Moses, Keiton Page and former Edmond Santa Fe standout Obi Muonelo, who has impressed Ford with his offseason workouts.

“Obi is a captain this year and no one is training harder and getting their body in physical condition like him,” Ford said. “In the summer he was in there 5:30 in the morning working on his jump shots, improving his game. He’s just one of the most enjoyable young men I’ve been around, just a great personality and will have a great senior year.”

While Ford has high hopes for the Pokes this season he knows they’ll face even stiffer competition within the Big 12. He believes Kansas should be the consensus preseason favorite, while Texas, Texas A&M, Baylor, Iowa State and both state schools could be top 25 teams.

The Oklahoma State men will officially begin their season during homecoming week. On Oct. 16 the team will host a special event which includes a scrimmage and dunk contest at Gallagher Iba Arena.

“Obi is a captain this year and no one is training harder and getting their body in physical condition like him,” Ford said. “In the summer he was in there 5:30 in the morning working on his jump shots, improving his game. He’s just one of the most enjoyable young men I’ve been around, just a great personality and will have a great senior year.”

= sorry obi for calling you an $#$%%^ idiot on national television.

I know alot on here don't like Ford, but I do. I think he is going to be a really good coach there for them. Been a fan of his since his UK days.

Travis Ford is the Oklahoma State basketball coach. I do not like him.

Back